What about this metformin

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
My friend from Italy He wants to send these cans to me but I do not know if there is a difference in the ingredients of metformin
7ed7d902546dce962b88ed359043eb18.jpg

Zastro

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I would not risk taking them, different countries have differing standards when it comes to medication. It's better to be safe than sorry!!

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Where did your friend get them?

I just checked and in the UK they are prescription only. No idea about Italy, though.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
If they're manufactured in Italy then they will meet all EU countries standards.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I would say No Thank you to your friend. You don't know where they came from or if they are fake. You cannot buy Metformin in the UK. Only a doctor can prescribe it for you here. Then you have to ask yourself if you actually need them?
Do you have reason to think you need them?

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Personally I would say No Thank you to your friend. You don't know where they came from or if they are fake. You cannot buy Metformin in the UK. Only a doctor can prescribe it for you here. Then you have to ask yourself if you actually need them?
Do you have reason to think you need them?
Hi and good day

I want to thank everyone here

This my friend and he from my family not anyone He bought it from the pharmacy I am asking for this because I think that EU medicines are better than a lot of medicine here On the whole I do not have to

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Marhaba.

I cannot give you advice on medicines, that is something for your doctor.

I think you are in Morocco. I lived in the Middle East for many years and have traveled several times to North Africa, including Morocco. Medicines that are available in Europe are often also manufactured locally in these countries. This is often done under license from a European or American company and there is no reason to believe that these versions are inferior to the ones produced in Europe. However I do remember that there was a common perception that the European/American-made versions were "better" (without much evidence being provided).

It is not unusual for "generic" medicines, even those sold in Europe, to be manufactured in India or other developing countries. These are now largely accepted by doctors and consumers.

Other than the question of drugs, however, it does seem to be the case that diabetes treatment needs improvement in developing countries. Since you are in Morocco, you may be interested in this case study of diabetes treatment in your country: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4892401/.

The most alarming statistic from the survey is that, in Morocco, "only 2% of patients were managed by lifestyle modifications" i.e. without drugs such as Metmorfin. This number is so low that I assume there are almost no Moroccan doctors who are "prescribing" a no-drug approach to Type 2 diabetes. I suspect that nearly all of them are prescribing drugs immediately upon diagnosis, and also that they are not removing the drugs later even if that might be appropriate.

Edited to add this quote from the survey: The clinical burden of diabetes is high in Morocco and the majority of patients do not achieve the recommended glycaemia target, suggesting that there is a huge gap between evidence-based diabetic management and real-life practice. Better education of patients and improved compliance with international recommendations are necessary to deliver a better quality of diabetic care.

Sorry to sound a bit gloomy, but information is power! I do love Morocco and the Arab world.

Last edited:

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Marhaba.

I cannot give you advice on medicines, that is something for your doctor.

I think you are in Morocco. I lived in the Middle East for many years and have traveled several times to North Africa, including Morocco. Medicines that are available in Europe are often also manufactured locally in these countries. This is often done under license from a European or American company and there is no reason to believe that these versions are inferior to the ones produced in Europe. However I do remember that there was a common perception that the European versions were "better" (without much evidence being provided).

It is not unusual for "generic" medicines, even those sold in Europe, to be manufactured in India or other developing countries. These are now largely accepted by doctors and consumers.

Other than the question of drugs, however, it does seem to be the case that diabetes treatment needs improvement in developing countries. Since you are in Morocco, you may be interested in this case study of diabetes treatment in your country: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4892401/.

The most alarming statistic from the survey is that, in Morocco, "only 2% of patients were managed by lifestyle modifications" i.e. without drugs such as Metmorfin. This number is so low that I assume there are almost no Moroccan doctors who are "prescribing" a no-drug approach to Type 2 diabetes. I suspect that nearly all of them are prescribing drugs immediately upon diagnosis, and also that they are not removing the drugs later even if that might be appropriate.

Edited to add this quote from the survey: The clinical burden of diabetes is high in Morocco and the majority of patients do not achieve the recommended glycaemia target, suggesting that there is a huge gap between evidence-based diabetic management and real-life practice. Better education of patients and improved compliance with international recommendations are necessary to deliver a better quality of diabetic care.

Sorry to sound a bit gloomy, but information is power! I do love Morocco and the Arab world.
Hi Grateful

I would like to thank you very much especially for the word Marhba Or Arabic مرحبا

I fully agree with you to take care of patients here is rare I really do not know the reason but it seems to be a matter of conscience Here we need to study the culture of health in schools not to increase hospitals I would also like to tell you welcome to my home that I visited Morocco again

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would also like to tell you welcome to my home that I visited Morocco again

Arabs are among the most hospitable people in the world, as your comment shows.

It must be quite difficult for you. I remember so many times being invited into people's homes and offered delicious food, often very sweet food. It was considered rude to refuse anything or to leave any food on the plate. I don't remember ever saying "kiffaya"* except as a joke, before taking another slice of baklava!

So you have my sympathies. If your medical situation allows it, I strongly recommend trying to cope with T2 diabetes using mainly (or only) diet and exercise. But I know how hard it will be.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Thank you from my heart with your kindness
I really consider diabetes an enemy Must be studied and fought by all available means
Thank you very much I think my English is very bad I do everything I can

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much I think my English is very bad I do everything I can

أفضل من العربية أتكلم (better than my Arabic!)

I have not spoken Arabic for the past 20 years. I can still understand a bit of fusha but almost no 'ammiya.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing

أفضل من العربية أتكلم (better than my Arabic!)

I have not spoken Arabic for the past 20 years. I can still understand a bit of fusha but almost no 'ammiya.

The correct translation is(أفضل من العربية التي اتكلمها) Lol

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shukran gazilan* (yes, I learned my Arabic in Egypt!).