What are you after meal reading and what do you consider too high ?

Mike Sixx

For a week I had around 6.5mmol BG 2-3 hours after meal. Today I though I could eat a little better (read: worse) and it was 8.2. I think that is too high. My morning reading was 5.1. And I am thinking that 6.5 after meal reading could be ideal ? Andnever let it go to high 7.

I made a mistake and ate store bought rye/lingonberry porridge (22g sugar, 38g carbs) for late night snack. Well two mistake 1) giving myself a treat and 2) mistook the nutrition info by not accounting for portion size thinking it was 11g/19g. So no treats for 6 months and never again meal with sugar over 9g. Or do you think 9g sugar per meal is too high ? I would love to get to even lower sugar intake but I am fairly new to T2 so I still have a lot to learn.

Mike Sixx

Update: now 2h after that measurement my BG is 4.8. I do not think swings like that are ok or even normal.

P.S. I did not wash my hands before either measurements.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
The figures quoted for non diabetics are less than 7.8 after a meal?

And yes, non diabetics' blood sugars do go up and down, normally in the 4 to 7.8 range, though they do sometimes go lower (no need to fear hypos) and a bit higher if they pack on the carbs.

The phrase diabetes is a marathon not a sprint comes to mind. Different people have different tolerances to carbs - some people can reduce their levels to non diabetic by a relatively small adjustment to diet, others have to go practically keto. Some people can tolerate the carbs in some foods, but not others. Your meter will tell you what you can tolerate, but bear in mind that the manufacturers don't guarantee it to be absolutely accurate - a reading of 8 on one meter could be 7 or 9 on different ones. (Plus it's easy to introduce error through lack of hand washing). Then there's the fact that stress and illness can raise blood sugar, irrespective of what you're eating.

I'd be much more concerned with trends than a single reading. You sound like you have pulled your readings down into non diabetic territory, even with the odd blip. (Many T2s find porridge problematic). Hopefully with some experience you'll be able to back up on the testing. It tells you how your body reacts to different foods, but once you've learnt this you should be able to test much less.... No need for self flagellation over one potentially slightly errant reading

Good luck.

Mike Sixx

The figures quoted for non diabetics are less than 7.8 after a meal?

And yes, non diabetics' blood sugars do go up and down, normally in the 4 to 7.8 range, though they do sometimes go lower (no need to fear hypos) and a bit higher if they pack on the carbs.

The phrase diabetes is a marathon not a sprint comes to mind. Different people have different tolerances to carbs - some people can reduce their levels to non diabetic by a relatively small adjustment to diet, others have to go practically keto. Some people can tolerate the carbs in some foods, but not others. Your meter will tell you what you can tolerate, but bear in mind that the manufacturers don't guarantee it to be absolutely accurate - a reading of 8 on one meter could be 7 or 9 on different ones. (Plus it's easy to introduce error through lack of hand washing). Then there's the fact that stress and illness can raise blood sugar, irrespective of what you're eating.

I'd be much more concerned with trends than a single reading. You sound like you have pulled your readings down into non diabetic territory, even with the odd blip. (Many T2s find porridge problematic). Hopefully with some experience you'll be able to back up on the testing. It tells you how your body reacts to different foods, but once you've learnt this you should be able to test much less.... No need for self flagellation over one potentially slightly errant reading

Good luck.
Thank you.