What are you all reading?

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
I often have a number of books on the go, depending on frame of mind and location

George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire cycle

William Hague's biography of William Wilberforce

Certified Information Systems Security Professional by Tittel, Stewart, and Chapple (strictly for looking studious whilst in the office)

The art of William Morris in cross stitch by Barbara Hammet - deciding next project.

Regards, Tubs.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
sixfoot said:
Sue dont worry ive still to get to the bit with the dive bombers :twisted: :twisted:

Do take care
Dave P

Judging by progress so far that could take years!! :lol: :lol:

Sweet3x

Grumpy said:
Sweet3x; you tried the Irish writers of chick-lit? Cathy Kelly, Patricia Scanlan, Maeve Haran? Then there's Erica James...

come to think of it, no - I'll have to give them a go :) I'm running out of stuff at the mo :)

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
broads said:
The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George. Have loads of books about the Tudors. I fine them fascinating.

Love the Tudors too have you read "My Lady of Cleaves" Margaret C Barnes. When I lived in Holland my Gran and I took a trip to Cleaves and visited her home in the museum there wasnt a single painting of her. :shock:

Re chick lit and Irish writers why no mention of Marianne Keyes?

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
At the moment I'm reading Robin Hobb books. The second book of the Mad Ship trilogy. Really interesting...so good I can't put it down.

broads

Cavelioness. Another excellent book Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George. I have read it three times. I haven't read "My Lady of Cleeves". I shall buy it. Thanks.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
gillyh said:
At the moment I'm reading Robin Hobb books. The second book of the Mad Ship trilogy. Really interesting...so good I can't put it down.

I really enjoyed the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogys but I couldn't settle into the Ship trilogy although set in the same reality :) oh well.

Tubs.

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
Cavelioness, I'm going to disagree with you on the definition of chick lit. :D I wouldn't describe Jean M. Auel's books as chick lit. That's a phrase that sends most men screaming to the pub. You've never seen a man read Bridget Jones, have you? I've read all her books and thoroughly enjoyed them. Incidentally, did you know that the area where she set the Zelandoni cave is in France, near Bergerac at a place called Laugerie Haute? The cave itself is not really a cave but what the French call an abri, which is a large overhang with a deep recess below. Many years ago the abri collapsed. In reality, you can stand up at the top and look down the valley and see the places where various scenes were set.

Thirsty

Hmph. Here's one man who has read the Bridget Jones books in the pub, so there! :p

Currently, I'm half way through Jasper Kent's TWELVE, which someone bought me for Christmas. Vampires take on Napolean during his 1812 invasion of Russia; need I say more? Expect to see this one remaindered fairly soon. Too silly for words.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Thirsty wrote:
Hmph. Here's one man who has read the Bridget Jones books in the pub, so there!

Thirsty.
There's nothing wrong with being in touch with your feminine side :?

Just don't end up like Dave ? Frocks and things :roll:

Thirsty

Pah! I'll have you know that I often used to wear my wife's tights beneath jeans when working outdoors in Winter. Much warmer than thermals and the lads thought I looked damned sexy in them.

I've said too much...

:oops:

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
BillB said:
Cavelioness, I'm going to disagree with you on the definition of chick lit. :D I wouldn't describe Jean M. Auel's books as chick lit. That's a phrase that sends most men screaming to the pub. You've never seen a man read Bridget Jones, have you? I've read all her books and thoroughly enjoyed them. Incidentally, did you know that the area where she set the Zelandoni cave is in France, near Bergerac at a place called Laugerie Haute? The cave itself is not really a cave but what the French call an abri, which is a large overhang with a deep recess below. Many years ago the abri collapsed. In reality, you can stand up at the top and look down the valley and see the places where various scenes were set.

I virtually live on the Auelboard at ecfans.com especially our own fan fiction where there are a number of very talented writers so have got myself involved with quite a few storylines. Yes I did know the Zelandoni cave is in france the same as the glacier mentioned was the alps. I have the whole series and as soon as Summer hits us properly they will be read again it usually takes me about a week to read the lot depending on how much real life involves itself. Apparantly they also have ecfans on facebook. Have personally only seen the Bridget Jones films.

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
broads said:
Cavelioness. Another excellent book Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George. I have read it three times. I haven't read "My Lady of Cleeves". I shall buy it. Thanks.

Thanks for the tip re Margaret George. Another excellent writer regarding our favourite era is Jean Plaidy. I have read several of them many times including St Thomas Eve, The Sixth Wife, The Captive Queen of Scots and Murder Most Royal.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The "Good Book."

PRINNY

hi everyone i love reading, i have just finished Julie Walters autobiography, it was very good a real laugh in parts, she comes accross as very ordinary and also grateful for her career breaks and her life in general. My daughter is reading The suspicions of Mr Wicher, Murder at Road Hill House, she says its amazing a good blend of fact and bloody mystery, two for one there folks lol! all the best, prinny.

belinda_b

Just finished The Heir to Sevenwaters by Juliette Marillier, which was very good....she writes fantasy with a load of celtic history thrown in. I'll read nearly anything (except mills and boon!), but especially like forensic detective stuff, whodunnits and biographies. I've read everything by Patricia Cornwell, who I like a lot, and just started The Murder Stone by Louise Penny

Thirsty

Well, I've made a good start on Mark Haddon's A Spot of Bother. Although the novel may be an uncomfortable read for some, and certainly isn't for youngsters, it's one of the finest black comedies I've read in years.

Recommended if you're not easily offended.

abhock

If you've an interest in modern jazz,try "Milestones",the music and times of Miles Davis by jack chambers....fascinating.....THE jazz bible!!