What are your alcohol rules?

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi Folks...

For the last couple of weeks, I have enjoyed a nightly 3 units of dry red wine. I used to drink lager but decided against it. This is because I used to have an occasional Holsten Pils (pre-DX), which I believe many years ago used to advertise itself as suitable for diabetics as it is double brewed to remove all the sugar.(Unbelievable!) Once on low carb, I checked out the Pils sitting sadly in my refrigerator for the last 3 months and found it has one of the highest carb contents (16g per can).
I have been looking around for a low carb alternative and last night I found one...

Co-ops own brand premier lager. Its only 4g per 440 ml tin and is 1.9 units at 4.3% alcohol.
So now my alcohol regime rules will be
1 250 mil glass of dry red wine OR
1 440 mil can Co-op Premium lager
or occasionally 2 cans lager (still only 3.8 units) followed by a day of abstinence (To ensure I stay within the 21 units for men per week rule).

So how do others cope with low carb, alcohol and maintaining safe BG's?

Steve

Reactions: Rossi5

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Steve.

I used to drink like the proverbial, hence my nickname at work was 'The Fish.' That was some 12 years ago. :(

I am a Guinness fan and have found that a couple of pints a week goes down really well. I also have a glass or two of Red wine some nights. What's life if you can't enjoy some pleasures occasionally ?

I don't care much about the carbs or the alcohol content as it is not like I drink every day. It is a treat. Bg levels after a couple of beers are never high either. As for the so called 'light' or low alcohol versions - well they just aren't worth thinking about. A decent beer or wine is far superior in my opinion. :D

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Steve,
I don't drink!( pretty much nothing, don't like it)
but I am Czech.
Look at the Czech beers, they are low carb mostly and there are even a couple which are sugar free. and some low alcohol ones too. the drink /drive limit in CZ is 0
Remember the most famous beers are Czech despite the Americans trying to hijack the breweries or their names.
Pilsen( Plsen in Czech) is in the Czech Republic after all

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hello,

Well, as the body doesn't store alcohol it must be constantly replaced...

I drink wines and spirits with sugar free mixers; obviously that limits the quantity that you can have so that's very interesting to hear about the Co-Op own brand lager, which is about 1/3rd of a normal can. However that's still quite carby :(

Red wine seems to have the least impact on blood sugars and even lowers them on occasion so is my weapon of choice.

I used to drink that Michelob Low Carb beer but that seems to have left the shelves now.

Dillinger

chocoholic

I don't drink alcohol at all. I just never found an alcoholic drink I liked.Nope. Tell a lie...... I tried Pimm's a week before diagnosis and loved it. Then I could not find out the sugar content, so decided best to steer clear of the stuff. Does anyone else know the sugar content of Pimm's? I seem to remember poring over the Pimm's website and label and still not finding the info I wanted. I think I emailed the manufacturers too but got no reply. :(

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I find beer can up my bg's to around 12-13, so only have as an occasional drink. My weapon of choice is vodka, preferably flavoured, with low cal tonic but I find white wine is ok at only 1g carbs per glass and red wine I believe is 1/2 g carbs per class. I only drink one, max two nights a week so don't worry too much about it, as it is what you are doing most of the time which is important. :) Back in the days before I was the anticarb (and therefore was taking much more insulin) I'd find that I'd massively increase my risk of going hypo the day after the night before, to the point where I asked the doc if I could replace my insulin with alchohol on the weekend! (ok, I wasn't being entirely serious) but since I've reduced the insulin I have only gone hypo the next day once or twice. :D

Spiral

I hardly drink anything, maybe at the most a single glass bottle a week. I like a decent red wine and will pay for quality as I drink so infrequently, so I think it needs to be quality - I may have a couple of glasses if I'm drinking with friends so long as I'm not driving.

I went to a conference a few months back, I think I had the equivalent of a bottle of wine over the weekned, plus a couple of lagers :shock: :shock: :shock: I don't usually drink that much in a 3-month period!

My rules are about it not taking that much to get me drunk, not liking the experience of being drunk and having been very close to someone who had alcohol abuse problems while actually liking a nice glass of red.

Jo123

I drink a small glass of red wine about 5 evenings a week with dinner, I stress the small we get 6 glasses out of a bottle but my husband has a bigger glass. If we are out and drink more then I will not drink for at least two nights. We have just come back from a weeks holiday with friends where we were out every night and I have not drunk for a week!
Jo

Dislikes
haveing diabeties
most i have if i go out is 1 larger shandy prob 1 a fortnight try only keep to deit lemonade and water keep nealy all sugar out of drinks so i can have bit mor of a treet with my food love my food more than drink

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
From another forum, where I wrote:
Let's all give thanks for mugs of tea
There is no better panacea;
Keep your guinness, gin & beer
A cup of tea gives greater cheer.
icon_coffee26at.gif
icon_coffee26at.gif
icon_coffee26at.gif
icon_coffee26at.gif
icon_coffee26at.gif

Once, when I sat down to dine
the waiter poured a glass of wine
but in the night, awake in bed
the wine was throbbing round my head.
so now my night-time drink is tea
it doesn't wake me up to go to the bathroom.

To which the reply came:
I like that poem,
it made me smile.
you managed to go
the extra mile.

it did not scan
but it made me grin
I really like tea
but I don't like gin.

MINTYBLUE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Smoking/Lateness/Untidyness
Ive heard Holsten Pils in bottles has no sugar.BUT the can versions have sugar content

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ll have a couple of single malts or neat spiced rum on a weekend, but always with a pint of water on the side, or I’ll drink it by the pint. Doesn’t affect my sugars either way, but I do stick to a couple.

CauliMash

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I tend to find a glass or two of red wine works well, doesn’t disrupt carb count nor sleep too much