What are your go to meals and snacks?

fronty

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I currently have a very limited diet. I can't tolerate much. The only carbs I seem to tolerate are some vegetables and brown rice pasta. I might cut out the pasta and go to a lower carb diet.

What are some meals that work well for you? Do you have any suggestions for snacks? It is very difficult for me to eat on the goal.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too have that problem, can't tolerate carbs.. I like curries so chicken curry with lots of veg (bell peppers, spinach, a few beans) and have a few nuts on top. Omelette with loads of veg and some cheese. Fry up with bacon, eggs, tomato, mushrooms and sometimes haloumt slices. Chicken breast with salad. I used to put fruit in my salads, loved it, sadly can't have fruit now either! I am sure others will have loads of better ideas but as I don't really like cooking I haven't widened my menu a lot.

I don't do "snacks" as I have to be careful how much I eat as well or my glucose is too high. I do a fine line with eating enough so I don't lose weight as I am already under weight and keeping my glucose under reasonable control (I am a very atypical type 2)..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @fronty :)

I see that your profile says you have Reactive Hypoglycaemia. If that what is limiting your diet choices? Or are there other factors at play?

As a fellow RHer, I found that I was able to eat any very low carb food without RH repercussions, which was a relief.
My way of eating has evolved quite a lot over the last few years, but through that time, my meals have always needed to be low carb (no bread, rice, pasta, potato, sweet fruit or sugar) - so basically protein and veg.

I won't pretend to stick to that perfectly! I am human. But the lower carb I go the better I feel.

Snacks that have always worked for me are things like

Nuts
cheese
very dark choc (at least 70% cocoa solids)
cold meat
eggs (hard boiled, egg mayo, etc)
peanut butter
other nut butters
seaweed thins
olives

there are a few bought snacks that work too, these include
Adonis bars
Peanut 9bars
Pork scratchings (the good brands, not the ****** ones that use monosodium glutamate and sugars for flavouring)

I find I can tolerate carbs much better if they are gluten free, but that may be a personal ideosyncracy :D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I too have that problem, can't tolerate carbs.. I like curries so chicken curry with lots of veg (bell peppers, spinach, a few beans) and have a few nuts on top. Omelette with loads of veg and some cheese. Fry up with bacon, eggs, tomato, mushrooms and sometimes haloumt slices. Chicken breast with salad. I used to put fruit in my salads, loved it, sadly can't have fruit now either! I am sure others will have loads of better ideas but as I don't really like cooking I haven't widened my menu a lot.

I don't do "snacks" as I have to be careful how much I eat as well or my glucose is too high. I do a fine line with eating enough so I don't lose weight as I am already under weight and keeping my glucose under reasonable control (I am a very atypical type 2)..

@Brunneria is different type of hypoglycaemia as she has T2 as well.
The recommended treatment is small meals every three hours to offset hypos.
So if you replace small meals rather than snacks, very low carb, then the need to snack on foods that you probably can't tolerate goes away.

But don't forget, if you don't go high, you don't go low, you do this by eating low carb diet.

fronty

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've been struggling through diets for around 8 years now. It took a very long time for me to get a diagnosis. The doctors kept saying my blood sugars were fine. They actually do look fine. Even after a high carbohydrate meal, my sugar would go up to 120mg (6.7mmol).

I then went in to get a glucose tolerance test. At the 3 hour mark, my blood glucose dropped to 30mg (1.7mmol). I started sweating profusely and almost passed out.

My main symptoms now are tiredness, irritability, lack of concentration, vision issues, etc..

I've tried the low carb high diet in the past, but I am going to give it another go.