1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What are your hypo symptoms?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by rachy0121, Mar 7, 2015.

1. claiirebear

claiirebear Type 1 · Member

for me i just want something sugary and carby in me as quick to bring me up sometimes i dont like the feeling

2. benjygirl

benjygirl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I get cold and shivery. I am paranoid that I`ll have a hypo in the night as I live alone so I always eat something if my bs is 6 or below before I go to bed.

• Like Like x 2
  3. shaggy1974

shaggy1974 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Mine have changed over the years, the pins and needles that I got in my hands lips were very pronounced and sharp in the beginning. Now, although I seem to get more all over it feels more like my body is buzzing especially the lips arms and legs. Occasionally I will get a sickness in my stomach when my blood is dropping. Also, have discovered a new feeling, the feeling of doom, which I had read about but never experienced myself. Queer feeling, sort of hopelessness.......like I just want to curl up and let the world pass me by.

I don't seem to sweat anymore unless its a nighttime hypo

4. Mrsass

Mrsass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh Numb tongue. This has only started happening the last few months so don't know where that's came from! And I only get it when I'm like low low, like now.....2.6 boo!

5. chl0ejasmine

chl0ejasmine Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I become very, very grumpy and snappy with people! My hands shake a lot and I get a pounding heart, sometimes I feel a bit drunk with the shaking and dizziness.. oh the joys.

6. Ekat

Ekat Type 1 · Active Member

Awh me too!!

7. Ekat

It feels like being drunk. I actually used to drink but stopped to just very special occasions because the lows are enough for me! Blah...I get really clumsy too.

• Like Like x 2
  8. type1harley

type1harley Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Most of the time I shake, but other times I get hungry, dizzy and tired.

9. Danny Francis

Danny Francis Type 1 · Member

I get the usual symptoms everyone gets but i always seem to get anxiety mainly before it happens, always feel tired after but depending on the severity of it. Lucozade is my main source to elevate my Blood sugar level again. But if I'm in desperate need, i just usually slam my face into the nearest available bag of fine caster sugar and re-enact the scene from Scarface :)

• Like Like x 4
  10. Radge21

Radge21 Type 1 · Member

I get very hot, and also a feeling you would get if you were about to face a big exam a sort of anxiety thing every time.
    It is like I have nothing to worry about, but start worrying for no reason.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Auckland Canary

Auckland Canary Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I get that doom feeling as well sometimes. It's a very odd one as it feels like the hope has been sucked out of you and the world has gone dark. Reminds me of Dementors in Harry Potter

12. SugarFreeHolly

SugarFreeHolly Type 1 · Member

For a long time i got a pain in the same place every time I was low

13. Cailynxox

Cailynxox Type 1 · Newbie

I just get a headache and the shakes, I sometimes get clammy.

14. Ekat

Me too! All of those things :/ it wears me out

15. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I get an "oh I'm a bit low" feeling. I don't know how to describe it better. It's just that I'm low and that's what I need to focus on. So I do.

16. Mrsass

Mrsass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I get this when I'm high, I don't know how exactly I feel or how to describe it, but I just know I'm high x

17. Moggies12

Moggies12 Type 1 · Active Member

Is 4 "the floor" for everyone?
    I'm just a few weeks in and sometimes get the tingly lips some folks are mentioning but when I check my blood it's fine.

18. L3wisr

L3wisr Type 1 · Well-Known Member

4 and below its whats considered to be a hypo. Due to you only recently Being diagnosed your body may take a while to adjust considering it would of been running on higher levels.
    For the first month or two I'd get the hypo symptoms whenever I was 4.7-5.0

• Like Like x 2
  19. patchworks101

patchworks101 LADA · Active Member

It's never the same every time. Sometimes it's the tingly tongue and lips, others it's blurred vision, wobbly legs or slurred speech or it even comes on so sudden that I'm in 'falling over mode' before I even know it. Worst, for me, are the night hypos where I wake felling that there's a weight on my chest so it's difficult to breath, the sweats and aching muscles. That's why I prefer my BS to be on the slightly higher side before going to bed.

20. Grkify

Grkify Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have ridiculous shakes and start to find the smallest things hilariously funny. I had a particularly bad hypo the other day thanks to some fatty food and apparently fixated on cleaning the glass coffee table to within an inch of its life. cant honestly remember it.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook