What are your thoughts on tomatoes

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello wise ones, I'm fairly new and been following my LC diet for 2 weeks. I want your opinion on tomatoes as I am using them in my salads everyday at the moment but also in the winter I'm a big user iof tinned tomatoes in my casserole dishes. Should I be more careful? I haven't ordered a monitor yet so can't comment on my readings. Tx you

Reactions: ringi
D

Deleted Account

When it comes down to what is good and bad in terms of carbs, I think there are two things to consider
- how many carbs are there in the food?
- how does your body react?
Until you have the meter, you cannot answer the second question.
The first is easy to answer - type "carbs in tomatoes" into a google search engine (or look at the tin) and you will see. The best result to look at is per 100g. Canned tomatoes contain 7g carbs per 100g. When considering vegetables, this is not super high (e.g. potatoes contain 17g) or super low (spinach contains 3.6g). Fresh tomatoes are better (3.9g) so are preferable to, say, carrots in your salad.

One thing to look out for is any added sugar - some tins add unnecessary sugar.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't find tomatoes (tinned or fresh) a problem, but then I always check I have bought the brands that don't have added sugar in the tin. Definitely worth checking. Especially the ones with added herbs, garlic and chilli, because those have often been heavily 'seasoned'.

Tomato sauce is definitely one to watch though! Lots of sugar in that. But then, hopefully none of us are eating that in the same quantities... :D

Reactions: suginami

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I eat a lot of tomatoes and they have not stopped me over the last few weeks going from a BG of 35 to always under 6 with LCHF and Metformin. Most of the time I add tomatoes they are replacing something that is worse me for.

However avoid tomatoes juice, as a lot of the good bits have been removed, but all the sugar has been left. Likewise the more you cook tomatoes that faster they will release there carbs into your blood.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I want your opinion on tomatoes as I am using them in my salads everyday at the moment but also in the winter I'm a big user iof tinned tomatoes in my casserole dishes. Should I be more careful? I haven't ordered a monitor yet so can't comment on my readings. Tx you

When you get your bg meter test and see what results you get.

A salad wouldn't be a salad without tomato's, especially the vine ripened varieties, for the best taste keep them out of the fridge or remove 1 hour before eating. Good luck.

Edit to correct spelling error.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat toms every day, often twice a day - cherry, on the vine, raw, cooked, tins. Tinned ones give me more of a spike despite what it says about the low carb amount on the tin [3.5g per 100g]

Reactions: rigsby71

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I used to do a tin of these. I looked for the lowest carb. These were great as a filler.

I now have all types of tomatoes everyday. I am in Spain right now and this was the majority food on my plate.