paul.mc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not breathing
Links would be good...:)

Just been diagnosed T2 and started a low carb diet. I'd like to get an accurate BG tester to educate myself on what foods or mixtures are best for myself, etc... etc. I read on here that most of you use the "SD Codefree BG Monitoring system" from Amazon. But after reading the reviews, it looks as if that tester is wildly inaccurate, in fact dangerous, as one reviewer put it...

"I purchased this meter back in early June of this year. Ive used around 200 yes 200 test strips. That numbers not a typo. Ive been using the meter to see if I can discover my food sensitivities through measuring the rise of blood sugar after foods. My results have been very inconsistent. Some times a food spikes my blood sugar then on another day the same food doesn't. I just went back and read the reviews on this product. There are many claims that the meter is inaccurate. A number of the reviewers said that they had done several glucose tests and received different reading. Well Ive just finished doing 4 consecutive tests very very rapidly from the same finger prick. I would have done more but the pin prick stopped bleeding. There was a 1.1 variance in the reading ranging from 6.1, 6.5, 6.7 and 7.2. That's a very significant range of numbers. The data from my 3 months and over 200 finger pricks now looks to be utterly useless not to mention the expense. Fortunately I'm not a type 1 or type 2 diabetic. This meter could place your health in very serious jeopardy. I'm going to look into having this product reported on grounds of health and safety. Its dangerous."

Very off putting to say the least.

Regards
Paul

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

paul.mc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not breathing
Hi @paul.mc

The SD Codefree meets the latest standards for meter accuracy.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/sd-codefree-blood-glucose-meter.html

Meters only have to be accurate to +/- 15% so with a true glucose value of around 6.6 - all the readings in your quote above are possible. And you would likely get similar variance with any meter.

EDITED:-
Welcome to the forums mate - any more questions, just ask.

Thanks Urb... I'm used to electrical test meters and makers, (Less tolerance range = bigger bucks), so thought it would somehow be the same!. Worryingly though, the reviewer tested on 4 strips in say under a minute, and got varying results, which threw me! I'd of expected them to all read the same on a single drop of blood. As I say I'm knew to this and did want to get a glucose meter for self education, but the popular SD Codefree had such bad reviews...Anyhow if it's good enough for most members, then I suppose it's the one for me too.

Thanks

NoughtQAF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi paul.mc I have used the sd biosensor codefree taking blood glucose readings at the same time as having blood taken for a lab glucose test twice at the GPs and both times I had identical readings. I have also used the Accu-chek Mobile and just started with the Bayer Contour USB and the biosensor is my preferred meter. I like its strips as they seem to sip the blood better compared to the others.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For many of the meter users it's a case of bang for bucks. The SD test strips cost 6 or seven pounds for 50 and the most accurate meter I know of (an Abbott freestyle) costs on average about £25 for 50. There are many people who simply can't afford accuracy. Accuracy is not always required anyway. If you are testing for relative readings from before and after food you just want to know the difference between the two readings.

There are two occasions where you need accuracy in my opinion and they are these.

A meter that reads high could tell you that you were fine when you were hypo.

Your nurse might not be expecting such high readings if she has standardised on a more accurate meter than the one you are using and therefore she may be talking old money and you may be talking decimal so to speak.

I own both of these meters and once spent a month doing same prick comparison tests and came to the conclusion that the SD reads 1mmol higher than the Abbott on average in the lower range. (It goes into orbit in the higher range). Therefore on cheap days I use the SD and knock 1 off the result in order that the result is more like the Abbott.

Later tests against control fluids came up with about the same difference between the two.

I have no difficulty in using the SD now that I know it reads high and I "aim off" to allow for it. It is also much cheaper.

paul.mc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not breathing
Many thanks guys for the very good info. I've bit the bullet and purchased the SD with 100 strips (2x50) I'm opting for a LCHF diet after reading some impressive results. To be honest I'm not really missing carbs yet, I have the odd wholemeal dry toast to sit my baked salmon on. I am having the brain fog and I'm full of a cold and chesty after a few days, but I hope that passes as I feel awful.

I'm falling asleep in the daytime, which is something I never do. I suppose I should see what my BS level is when this happens, and if there's a quick fix like salted water (I think I read somewhere). I took it upon myself to partake in Andrews liver salts also. Then again I usually go blindly into things that may make my situation worse!

Any links, experiences, Dos or Don'ts to good testing practices before I jump in head first would be appreciated.

2015 Pissing and drinking lots of water for a year
T2 2016 (Told I was 100 should be 40 odd! a month ago)...(Apologies, not used to terms yet)
3x 500mg Metphormin (Asked the quack if I can change to slow release tabs, as sometimes I don't want 3 meals a day)
Statin & BP tabs

Last edited by a moderator:

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the Braun Omnitest3 meter kit, comes with strips and lancers, it's very accurate and requires only a small amount of blood, I've had no problems with it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll tag @daisy1 to give you the low down on LCHF as no-one else appears to have although am sure you have seen it elsewhere. Welcome to the club!
I personally would ditch the wholemeal toast completely and try to go as low carb as poss to get my blood sugar controlled asap and then start to test foods to see their effect. I also ditched metformin due to stomach upsets and refused the statins point blank (but that's just me). So far seem to be doing ok just being diet controlled. I'm strictly Very Low Carb and have fairly good control with the odd blip but as others have said I use the SD Codefree so if it reads slightly high then I'm doing even better than I thought so no props there. Check out www.dietdoctor.com for low carb advice and maybe check out Dr Jason Fung if you think you might be up for some fasting. (lots of videos online for him).
As others have said just ask away and we'll help out wherever possible. Obviously we're not doctors (or at least very few are) so we can only give personal experience.. however if you read around you'll find that experience is pretty **** useful.
All the best on your diabetes journey
Regards
Mark

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use Freestyle Insulinx and have freestyle lite testing strips.I was given this about 3 years ago and am still using it.

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@paul.mc

Hello Paul and welcome to the forum :) Here is the promised information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask more questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

paul.mc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not breathing
Thanks Daisy for the fantastic post. I'll do some reading later tonight...Woot!