What did you HATE to eat when you were a kid?

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
When I was growing up many, many, many years ago, it was usual to boil all vegetables until they became a mush. Green veggies – cabbage, spring greens, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower were never cooked for less than 30 minutes. The result was that the house was filled with the most vile sulphurous stink. Everybody seemed to think that cabbage was so essential to life that I’m surprised they didn’t even serve it for breakfast. They tasted just like they smelt, revolting, and I absolutely refused to put it into my mouth. This used to infuriate my mother until one day she stood over me and forced me to eat some. I began to heave theatrically and then rushed off to the loo and pretended to be throwing up violently. My mother never again served me green vegetables. Result: Bill 1 Mum 0. I tried Brussels sprouts a couple of years ago, but this time only boiled for a short time, as the TV chefs recommend – they still tasted disgusting.

Anyone know why they call them Brussels sprouts, because they're not grown there and they never heard of them. Or, did they come from there but they don't want to admit to it. We probably had a hand in there and when people tasted how fowl they were and the stinky farts smell killed the budgie everyone took them back to the green grocer and they blagged it by saying " ah well, they came from Brussels, nothing to do with us, so go there if you want your money back" people used to use them as a laxative I hear? We never had anything that sophisticated in our house, Mam used to sit us on our potties and tell us ghost stories.

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Beetroot and I still hate it now. Strangely I did make a chocolate cake in which beetroot was a key ingredient and it was delicious!
I don't eat things like that any more though :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

oh I love beetroot in a salad or with cheese in a sandwich:happy:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tripe.
When I wouldn't eat it for lunch at nursery school, it was brought back for tea!

We're all different though, tripe is a delicacy here and served for breakfast on fete days. Every French person seems to love Andouillettes , very smelly, sausages which usually contain tripe . I hate them nearly much as that other favourite dish Tete de Veau ( meat from the calves head which has a very thick, flabby skin/fat layer).

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Tripe.
When I wouldn't eat it for lunch at nursery school, it was brought back for tea!

We're all different though, tripe is a delicacy here and served for breakfast on fete days. Every French person seems to love Andouillettes , very smelly, sausages which usually contain tripe . I hate them nearly much as that other favourite dish Tete de Veau ( meat from the calves head which has a very thick, flabby skin/fat layer).

Tripe? isn't that what politicians eat for dinner?

Reactions: 4 people

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Whenever we went to Great Yarmouth for the day, my dad & I always had tripe & chips off the market. Red hot chips & cold tripe! I loved it lol. Somehow it doesn't have the same appeal now lol

Smartie xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No I couldn't eat tripe, my wife's grandfather loved it with loads of salt & vinegar, the very look of it turns my stomach!

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Stomach lining, usually from cows!! What was I thinking of? lol

Smartie xx

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My father used to eat it regularly but to me all you could taste was vinegar It was very popular in Lancashire there was a tripe stall on Blackburn market and there was always a queue on a saturday morning It is not there now I wonder if anyone eats tripe any more
CAROL

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
My father used to eat it regularly but to me all you could taste was vinegar It was very popular in Lancashire there was a tripe stall on Blackburn market and there was always a queue on a saturday morning It is not there now I wonder if anyone eats tripe any more
CAROL

My father-in-law always loved it too when he was alive-it used to make me want to gag!

Reactions: 2 people
N

NicolaB70

In my local butchers they have out in display in the chiller units trays of pigs trotters, chicken feet, tripe, ox tails and occasionally a cows tongue. All of it is just disgusting to look at, let alone eat any of it. Surprisingly though, the butcher says they sell a lot to African carribean and Far Eastern customers.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Tried tripe, I have eaten worse things. Just a bit bland really.

C

catherinecherub

Stuffed hearts.
Brawn. This was homemade involving a pig's head and root vegetables The liquor was poured off after cooking and it set like a jelly. (Are you listening Andy) It was then sliced. Yuk.:eek::arghh::arghh::arghh: