What did you HATE to eat when you were a kid?

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Hah! The comments on another thread got me to thinking about the food I really hated to eat when I was kid. Now remembering that I was a fairly rotund child and there really wasn't much that I wouldn't eat and saying this that my Mum was a pretty good cook of all things high in carbs and fat but she was a cook of the 60's so crunchy veg was a complete unknown really. My pet hate was Spring Greens boiled to within an inch of it's life to a horrible green sludge that splotted onto the plate with that sound...you know the one ;) There it sat and oh the dilemma, whether to eat it right off and get it over or leave it until last in the vain hope that I would be allowed to leave it but knowing deep down that that was NOT an option really. Clean your plate girl, there's kids in India would be grateful for that! Huh, I bet they wouldn't have been :rolleyes: Shame really because all our veg was home grown and would have been delicous cooked right. Ah well.

Oh, I loved liver done with bacon and onions......yum! (not joking :happy:)

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Sprouts! who decided sprouts were edible?

i love them now

we also had to eat everything, money was always tight and waste wasnt an option, my mum cooked all veg like that and still does in her old age, once every six months she cooks us dinner, squishy veg and aunt bessie pretend potatoes, i suppose not eating potatoes anymore isnt all bad :)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I need some time to compile a list as my list is VERY long! lol Be back to this later.:p

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
We used to have to drink those small bottles of milk at school that were warm and gross ! Even now I can't drink milk on its own !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 5 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yes!!!!!! ewwwww lol, wow i had blocked them out of my memory.....thanks :yuck:

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Broad beans.... I loathed them! Unfortunately in my house, the rule was whatever I refused to eat was served to me at every meal until I ate it. Still hate broad beans :(.
Love liver, bacon and onions the way my Grannie cooked it, on the hob in a large sauté pan :)

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I used to hate pizza as a kid, weird I know, I was at least 14 before I decided I liked it.

I too like liver, with onions , gravy and mashed celeriac :)

i saw a program recently that said they have been cross breeding sprouts with cabbages to make them less bitter.

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
mutant sprouts.... could they not cross bread them with mars bars, so i can eat them!

Reactions: 4 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
We used to have to drink those small bottles of milk at school that were warm and gross ! Even now I can't drink milk on its own !

Oh yes! Oh that was just revolting. Trouble was in Winter it arrived at our school frozen solid and had to be thawed next to the radiators. It was absolutely foul and I have to say cruel and unusual punishment to little kids first thing in the morning!
And yes, sprouts ick ick ick and sad to say, still ick ;)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I hated ANY stodge and heavy foods plus all chewy meats too.
Macaroni cheese , baked beans , meat burgers or meat balls ,dumplings, suet puddings, semolina/blamahnge or sponge puddings.
Any kind of roasted dinners with thick lumpy gravy 'ugh' .
Would only have 'chip shop made' fish/chips .

Cream caramel or manchester tart I loved at school dinners
[ the dinner ladies often said I was a faddy fussy eater ]
Loved a bowl of it had to be 'creamy' custard only on its own ...
Loved most veggies ,salads , jersey new potatoes though only .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I really don't remember many as I've always liked my food but kippers stands out as one. My dear old dad would fry them and the smell alone was enough to drive me out the house, wasn't particularly keen on offal such as haggis but love it now:)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Worst one that springs to mind was school curry, stil cant eat curry now.
The other being trifle, just the taste of the fruit in jelly makes me... Thankfully, my late mum, made me my own trifles less the fruit in it. Always had that on special occasions like christmas, birthdays.
Not much else I wouldn't eat.

Reactions: 3 people

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
Used to be sprouts and cauliflower for me I remember sitting with some cauliflower in my mouth for about a half hour I refused to swallow now they are my fav veg and I like my sprouts boiled until they are mushy taste better that way

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fat on meat made me gag. On the liver theme, however, my mum made a really good casserole which we always appreciated. My favourite sandwich was hard boiled egg and marmite. Yes, I know. I haven't come across many people who think that's a good combo!

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
I must have been weird, i loved sprouts, cauliflower n broccolli so much i would steal them off everyone elses plates. Findus crispy pancakes on the other hand...oh i feel ill just at the thought of them::eek:

N

NicolaB70

As a kid at school, it was school curry, spam fritters and prunes I wouldn't eat. I Still don't like fritters or prunes but I now love a good curry.
Also another liver n bacon lover!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hated meat In most forms. Purely a texture thing. My mum didn't work so she would plate up a roast dinner a few times a week and I had the smaaaaallest bot of chicken I could get away with. She could never complain too much though because I loved (and still do) veggies so I'd pile my plate with carrots, parsnips, cabbage and peas instead of meat :)

I got tonsillitis a lot and the antibiotics were always banana flavour so I still can't stomach banana now.

I also can't eat eggs (boke). Or tomato, mushroom or orange. I like the taste, I just can't handle the texture!

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Sprouts, trifle and breakfast cereals. Turkey as a roast meat, I can handle it in a curry.

All still on the list.