aaronjunited

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
I am type 1 and I'm very slim. I am looking for better control over my blood sugar which is very poor because of the amount of starchy and sugary foods I eat.

What other diets is there suitable for a tall slim person looking more control over blood sugar.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you share a bit more about your current diet and how you approach your insulin management?

There are plenty of diets that work for many individuals, but what works for me won't necessarily work for you and vice versa.

Are you currently carb counting, or how do you measure your insulin doses? Can you talk about what types of insulin you're using and what a typical days worth of meals and insulin might look like for you?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The best way, and it's not so much of a diet, but reduce your carbohydrate intake. Replace any carbs that are white with brown alternatives (i.e. wholemeal). That's a good start.

It's as simple as the more carbs you eat, the harder your control will be. For most of us, eliminating carbs from our diet is both impractical and improbable. It's about finding a balance that suits you.

By suits you I mean the following:
-Steady BG levels,
-Maintain your current weight,
-Maintain your energy levels.

You may find setting a limit of 200g per day works, you may find that you run optimum on 30g per day. Like everything it's all trial and error. Have a look at the LCHF section of this forum for some great guidance and advice.

Good luck:)

Grant

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am type 1 and I'm very slim. I am looking for better control over my blood sugar which is very poor because of the amount of starchy and sugary foods I eat.

What other diets is there suitable for a tall slim person looking more control over blood sugar.

Hi @aaronjunited :)

Unless you're eating a large amount of carbs, the problem is more likely to be due to your insulin and food not matching up correctly. You need to make sure the amount and timing of your mealtime insulin is right.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@GrantGam1337 Thats not necessarily true. Moderate carbs plus correct carb counting and bolus timing works for most people.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@GrantGam1337 Thats not necessarily true. Moderate carbs plus correct carb counting and bolus timing works for most people.
It was in reference to @aaronjunited implying that he is eating too much starchy/sugary foods. By cutting out the non-essential empty sugary based calories from his diet, there will probably be an instant improvement and better base to work from.

I agree fully with moderate carb intake, I'm just reading the initial post from the viewpoint that there's too much of the bad stuff in the diet to start with:)

Grant

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It was in reference to @aaronjunited implying that he is eating too much starchy/sugary foods. By cutting out the non-essential empty sugary based calories from his diet, there will probably be an instant improvement and better base to work from.

Grant

Yes, we need to see what @aaronjunited goes on to say, but it could be his 'bad control' is for other reasons, as I mentioned. The correct insulin to carb ratio and judicious timing of boluses can work wonders.