1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

what do people have when there levels drop

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by courty13, Jul 26, 2013.

1. courty13

courty13 · Member

what do people mainly have and think is best to get levels back up quite quickly ive been told not to have any lucozade until my level is 3.5 or lower

2. Thundercat

Thundercat · Well-Known Member

I use lucozade or glucose tabs even at 3.5. Anything else sugary can make my tum go washing-machine -like and can make me feel like vomiting. Not every time but enough to want to avoid it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

3. Netty70

Netty70 · Well-Known Member

4. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

Depends how low really but nothing specific. Jelly babies, regular coke, orange juice, lucozade, they all work. Whatever is available at the time I guess. I would have to be very low and feeling shaky for this though. Otherwise, I would just have an apple or cereal bar or something.

5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Liquid glucose (Lucozade and Coke etc) by far works the fastest, for a 3.5 I would use 2 jelly babies followed by a small carby snack if it was within 3 hours of injecting.

6. Trinity_32

Trinity_32 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

7. mrman

mrman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Lucozade if available, if not anther sugary liquid, coke, milk anything I can get. Also followed up by 10~15 carbs if next meal is over an hour away.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

8. BobCornelius

BobCornelius · Well-Known Member

Glucotabs if really low, otherwise I normally always have access to a bread roll so eat that first!

:)

Bob

9. benjygirl

benjygirl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Lucozade, glucose tablets, then a small packet of unsalted Kettle crisps. It's the only time I ever eat them !!

10. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My rule is that if I'm in the 3s then it's a mild hypo so have 3-5 dextro tablets. If I'm in the 2s then if things could get hairy if I drop any further as if my levels are in the 1s then I could lose consciousness so i'll get some lucozade down me asap.

11. Keith300-01

Keith300-01 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

4 or below 150ml of cola test after 15 mins and follow up with a choc bar if still not above 5.5

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook