1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What do we class as Low Carb ?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by tubamanandy, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Yes, myself I'm glad I found Jenny Ruhl's gentler advice for T2s before I read Dr B's book. When I did, at first I was devastated because it more or less convinced me that I needed to cut my carbs far lower than I had ever imagined. Now I'm getting used to the idea.

2. woodywhippet61

woodywhippet61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm a Jenny Ruhl fan too. Her's was the second book - after I'd run away from Bernsteins saying I can't do that diet. :) Ruhl's book eased me into managing my diabetes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I am on 20 carbs or less but I used to always have trouble losing weight, even on a healthy (or so I thought) diet. I ate all the so-called healthy carbs and gained a lot of weight and was told that my sugar was higher than it should be. I went straight for the low carb and have had no problems. My weight has dropped and my BG levels are within normal range and has been for just over a month now. So for me to lose weight I decided to go low

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. brassyblonde900

brassyblonde900 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I flogged my Bernstein book on Ebay a month after I got it...Where my head was then, life would not have been worth living.
    Then I began to gently get around to the Idea, You tube really helped me. Once I got to know the principles behind what they advocated, it was easier to wrap my head round the whole concept.
    I am actually eating lower than Bernstein's 6-12-12, because I do OMAD most days. but when I can't for any reason eat just once, the second meal of mine is a piece of meat or fish.
    Anything into my mouth I consider a meal now.
    I tested 5.1 ketones two days ago, that spooked me. I ate some Greek yogurt. On further research, I found out that that was quite a good therapeutic level of ketosis, apparently that level goes beyond BG and weight loss benefits.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RFSMarch

RFSMarch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

useful info for when I get back and have a decent 6-8 week sting before (hopefully) heading to Aus.
    At the moment my MFP profile is set to 120 carbs but I am too tight to spring for their premium offering to macro-manage my nutrients. Going to try to stay on that and then work my way down.

Curious - how do people factor in increased exercise in that? As I see it MFP proportionately adds more carbs to my percentage setting the more exercises I do. The only way round it I see is to set my TDEE for what I feel I can manage exercise wise in a week, set that as my preferred calorie intake and then only put my exercise down as 1 calorie to stop it from adding proportionately more carbs. It used to be the approach I first used when I lost a good lot of weight when I first used MFP.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook