What do you do for Work?

col79

Hi All,

I am just curious really, I am Type one was diagnosed December 2011, I am struggling to get my levels sorted as most days i am having low as well as 17 -18 etc..

Anyway i have quite a challenging job and was wondering what you guys do for a living and does it effect your diabestes?

Thanks in advance

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm a mechanical engineer. I was in a position that required semi-regular offshore travel but unfortunately since diagnosis in February I have had to be moved to an onshore role for the foreseeable future. The hope is that in a further 18 months I may resume my previous role once I have proved I can control my diabetes safely.

Aside from that it doesn't affect me in the office for day to day activities. I sometimes find that difficult meetings where I'm quite stimulated can cause a drop in BG, but I'm aware of that and can prevent hypos fairly well.

What is it you do?

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
I'm a Business and HR Administrator for an Engineering Company.
My job can be stressful as I am the only administrator for the whole company, but I have an incredibly understanding and accommodating boss which helps a lot with managing my Diabetes.

Other employers I've had haven't been nearly as helpful.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

col79

I am a client relations manager for a PC Manufacture , I deal with the education sector so i am in and out the office most days. I also have 2 young children 7 and 1 which is work! lol. I have thought about finishing work to concentrate on my diabetes but then what do i do...

thanks for the reply!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm only 23 and don't have any children yet so giving up work to focus on diabetes isn't really an option for me anyway! I'm just taking each day as it comes.

Mine is a extremely large firm. I'm not their first diabetic and won't be there last. Aside from offshore travel (the rules for that are not dictated by my company) I'm allowed to get on with this however I find best. Colleagues are comfortable with me testing in meetings if required, particularly as they are aware I'm newly diagnosed and just getting to grips with things still. All in all they've been excellent about it and in very comfortable coming to work!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi col,
I'm a science and technology consultant. Can be quite a brain-taxing job and stressful at times, but I'm lucky in that stress doesn't seem to affect my levels.

Are you sure that it's your job that's affecting your levels? Have you been on a carb counting course?

Alternatively, would you consider low carbing? In my experience this leads to much fewer highs and lows. Since I made the switch I've gone from a few hypos per week and a highnearly every day to a few or each per month.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi col79

I work part-time as a carer/homehelp. I used to work in a Pharmacy and every Saturday,for 70% of the time was cleaning, I had quite a few hypo's, with indifferent bosses I despised, so I just left. I miss the customers and some of the pharmacy jobs I had learnt( eg I used to label the drug users bottles for the week ahead) but I am so much more happier now, self employed :eek: , which is a bit scary at first, but I wouldn't go back for the money in the world :D

Best wishes RRB

ps Sam's got a good point there, I'm trying different foods and less of them, as I get highs and lows as well.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
col79 said:
I am a client relations manager for a PC Manufacture , I deal with the education sector so i am in and out the office most days. I also have 2 young children 7 and 1 which is work! lol. I have thought about finishing work to concentrate on my diabetes but then what do i do...

thanks for the reply!

That is the problem, I am semi retired by choice. I did have a stressful job with people responsibilities.(wish I was still involved with those lovely people)
Believe me you will miss your job and there will be more stress trying to deal with the cost of family life.
You can "step up" in your career or make a side move to make you a little more content.
Whatever road you decide to take, you will still have and will cope with diabetes.
I now spend my time with classic cars and enjoy the challenge.
best of luck to you and your family,
Roy, :)

fractureman

I work nights in a supermarket doing a heavy job. I take 2 units less with my evening meal on work days to prevent myself going low. Using pallet trucks etc I have to make sure my bg levels are good.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

laurabethxo

I work 4 evenings a week behind a bar and 3 days a week I do waitressing at a holiday park. My blood sugars go low a lot but I do have regular breaks and eat during them which is good. In the past I've had some really ignorant managers and supervisors though, where I've had to eat dextrose tablets and scraps of bread whenever I can!

qbix

Web developer for a large bank. I tend to sit on my backside the whole day staring at three large computer screens. I guess it makes it easier to control my BG as I don't have to worry about compensating for exercise. I find it a little harder at the weekends as I am running around after 2 kids then, but I'll get there.

Lynds90

I'm a nursery nurse and work with children aged 3-5 which is great but crazy at times. Just snack regularly and always have something sweet to hand in the room just in case :) try my best to not let diabetes change the way I worked before I was diagnosed xx

Geocacher

I work as a data manager/data analyst for a large secondary school in a deprived catchement area. I enjoy the pace and diversity and work nine and ten hour days on a regular basis. There's never a dull day... or, more accurately, there's never a normal day.

I have a private office and the autonomy to plan my work and schedule meetings to suit my needs so, despite what can be a chaotic and reactive environment, I rarely have any problems other than trying to fit GP and hospital appointments into the acedemic year. But that's more of an issue caused by the GP and the hospital being unable to keep an appointment without cancelling and rescheduling two or three times.

Working in education is a career break after leaving a soul-sucking job in local government where I did systems development and data management. Liked the work, hated the politics.

Trinity_32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish
I'm a musician. I struggle with my blood sugars before gigs as I get very stressed and anxious, but usually test before and after singing. I used to work with the elderly which I loved but the shift patterns were quite difficult, a mix of days/nights and evenings as required and one of my employers made my life a lot harder with his ideas about diabetes :(

hornplayer

I'm a former professional horn player, - hence the user name. I teach now and I love it. I'm also an artist. - constantly amazed that people actually want to buy my work! This, my second life, is a lot less stressful than my last, although it is still pretty stressful, especially around exam season! Before was worse though. I did a lot of session work (recording), and when the red light is on.....

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I am a firefighter employed by MoD at a US Military Air Base. Also, retained firefighter with Cambs Fire & Rescue Service. Recently diagnosed type 1 so standard practice is 6 months evaluation period. Basically, not operational, currently working days office based. Happy to keep job though, thought I'd be out to be honest when I went on to insulin.

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a project manager for a pharmaceutical company. The only stressful moments for me are when I have to work abroad and eat in restaurants trying to guess the carbs in the food I'm eating.