What Do You Make If This Folks? Zero Carb Wine! Too Good To Be True?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Those wine carb numbers look very high, but I could be confused about fluid ounces vs ounces or suchlike. Those figures would make wine more carby than beer, no? I have read 4 grams per 5 ounce for red wine, with about 20 grams of carb in the whole bottle. Still, you may be right: it's worth investigating.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is more carbs than you think.

Total Carbs(g)
Barbera4.10--4.10 Burgundy5.46--5.46 Cabernet Franc3.60--3.60 Cabernet Sauvignon3.82--3.82 Carignane3.53--3.53 Chianti4.011.17-4.01 Claret4.42--4.42 These numbers are just with a small glass and I know I have a larger glass at home..So if I have 3 glasses of red wine at home..I am probably racking up the Carbs. The wine above (Slim wine) is quite expensive. The are doing the sparkling wine in some Tesco stores at 12 quid a bottle. All I know is that the red Merlot that I have has no effect on my BG. The company calls it a healthy wine??..Yet still 10.5% Alcohol. The list is of ordinary wines..I was surprised at the amount of carbs.
I don't know where you got those figures from but Tesco's own brand red burgundy claims to have 0.06g per 125ml glass.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I don't know where you got those figures from but Tesco's own brand red burgundy claims to have 0.06g per 125ml glass.
Probably because the wine you are drinking is Tesco's own brand. I looked at a few sites before I posted and the above is around the same. I am funny with wine. I will have to try the brand that you buy

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably because the wine you are drinking is Tesco's own brand. I looked at a few sites before I posted and the above is around the same. I am funny with wine. I will have to try the brand that you buy
I haven't tried that wine but I imagine the carb content of any red burgundy would be similar. I only quoted that one because it is very hard to find out the carb content of wines and beers but Tesco's website is good for nutritional information. I didn't find any red wines with anything like the amount of carbs you quoted. Also the Carbs and Cals book says 0 carbs for a small glass of red wine.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never counted any carbs for red wine. If there are any then the benefits of the wine by far outweigh any minuscule amount of carbs. Heart health is way up the list of benefits.

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Per Atkins Carb counter:
Red Wine 2.6 carbs/ 3.5 oz
White wine (Sauvignon) 2.0 carbs/ 3.5 oz
Rosé 2.4 carbs/ 3.5 oz
Champagne 2-3 carbs/ 1oz
While I like the occasional glass of wine, I prefer my 0 carb John Powers Irish whiskey;)

Reactions: Prem51

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I haven't tried that wine but I imagine the carb content of any red burgundy would be similar. I only quoted that one because it is very hard to find out the carb content of wines and beers but Tesco's website is good for nutritional information. I didn't find any red wines with anything like the amount of carbs you quoted. Also the Carbs and Cals book says 0 carbs for a small glass of red wine.
That is really strange. There are charts online quoting the carbs.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That is really strange. There are charts online quoting the carbs.
This one comes from the Livingstrong.com website
Carbohydrates in a Standard Bottle of Wine
Wine contains no fat, a trace amount of protein and a small amount of carbohydrates. Because it isn’t a source of dietary fiber or complex carbohydrates, all of the carbohydrates in wine are in the form of readily digested simple sugars. Red and white table wine provide about the same amount of carbohydrates -- just under 4 grams of per 5-ounce glass, or roughly 20 grams of carbohydrates per 750-milliliter bottle. Rose wine is slightly higher in carbohydrates, with almost 6 grams per serving, or about 29 grams per 750-milliliter bottle.

This means that carbohydrates account for approximately 80 calories, or 13 percent, of total calories in a standard bottle of red or white table wine. Roughly 115 calories, or 19 percent, of calories in a bottle of rose wine come from carbohydrates. All other calories come from

Reactions: Prem51

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As someone who has drunk a lot of wine, and sometimes in large volumes at a time :rolleyes:, I've never needed to dose insulin for it, which would suggest that some of that carb labelling in spurious at best, and also that your body doesn't really process it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetit1802