What does everybody eat ??

fetlar14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although I am seeing a dietician on Friday, I am wondering what real food people eat to keep their energy levels up. For example, if you like to exercise quite a bit what foods fuel it without you potentially having a hypo ? A lot of people on the forum talk about the lchf diet but does that work if you want to maintain your weight levels ? I am on Metformin and since the diagnosis I almost look at all food as if it going to poison me! I actually think I might be making all the food changes too fast as I have had very heavy night sweats which I think are a sign of hypos. As I posted previously, I think the complete worst thing to deal with early on is the shock. I simply feel like some kind of 'freak' and the psychological battle is immense . I am trying to stay positive but when you are in your bed at night and alone with your thoughts, it is difficult to rationalise all your feelings without anxiety setting in.

Thanks to all those who responded to my first post , I could not seem to reply to the original thread.

Reactions: 2 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meat, above ground veg, salad, fish and pork scratchings for a treat. Soy milk and yoghurts with some added double cream.
Check out www.dietdoctor.com/lchf for some more ideas. I try and avoid anything with more than 5g of carbs per 100g.

You haven't given us much info to go on though. What is your current weight (if you want to tell us). Most of us are quite upfront about personal info (well I am anyway) as that allows more info to be given. As you are on metformin it's pretty unlikely you are having hypos, have you got an upset tum? That might be the metformin.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@fetlar14 You could try eating something and testing 2 hours after your meal. That way you'd see if it put your blood sugar up too much. I have Type 1 not Type 2, but I know many Type 2s do this with great success.

And yes, the diagnosis is a difficult thing to get your head round. Don't exoect perfection to start with. Go along steadily and take one day at a time.

As for the sweaty nights, did you test your blood sugar when you felt like that?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ok well your BMI looks ok (but then again that's a fairly useless measure..) check out some of the ideas on the low carb thread and generally cut carbs as much as possible.

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
hi @fetlar14 and welcome to the forum I was like you when I was first diagnosed type 2 and to start with I had a lot of trouble with spiking after meals in the first couple of weeks I suffered 2 hyper's but since the help and advice found on this forum and its members I took the LCHF diet and it has turned my life around and I am taking back control see my latest posting
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/first-meds-review.97448/
you are not alone

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@fetlar14 Eggs, butter, cheese for breakfast, Pork belly, roasted/braised/boiled for lunch has become a staple for me. Nuts and dark chocolates for snacks. Things can stabilize surprisingly fast with LCHF. This was my glucose charts during my first month of diagnosis. No meds. So take heart.

12764341_1717171541860638_9023118000032578571_o.jpg

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been LCHF since 22nd Feb and have lost 6 kilos (Diagnosed on Tuesday So I guess I knew it was coming!) typical day was yesterday.......Brunch at about 11:30 scrambled eggs and smoked salmon then dinner at 7pm was a steak a handful of salad greens, some blue cheese and some homemade mayo. I am finding that quite naturally I am intermitent fasting and it is normal to go from 7.30pm to 11or 12 the next day without feeling hungry. Some days I do not feel hungry till late afternoon....I am rolling with it and listening to my body. And have to say feeling great and very energised.

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok well your BMI looks ok (but then again that's a fairly useless measure..) check out some of the ideas on the low carb thread and generally cut carbs as much as possible.
Love this! When I told the Practice Nurse on Tuesday that I would d whatever was necessary to get this under control her comment was "you will have to lose a lot of weight" So my response was how much......when she got out her BMI chart and said I had to get to 59 Kilos I knew I would be ignoring her advice henceforth!

Jyrn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Fetlar,
Like you I am fairly new to the diabetes game but I have just completed my first 3 months and found that food was pretty easy to manage. I was quite surprised at what I could eat without major impacts.
To give you a context
I am on Metformin 500 micrograms twice daily
I have just had my HbA1C result back at 5.8% (normal range)
I lost ~10kg in 4 months without significantly decreasing my overall food intake. It was mostly due to increase in exercise.

To achieve my HbA1C result I have been eating the following types of meals.
Typical breakfast: 1/2 cup homemade museli (mixed cereal flakes, dried fruit, seeds and nuts), 1/2 cup wheat bran, 1 medium fruit (e.g. apple, peach) and 2 table spoons of unsweeted, flavoured yoghurt (e.g. vanilla)
This usually raises by BGL from about 6.0 to 7.0-7.5 after two hours. When I exercise I have actually had a 2 hr reading which was lower than my fasting reading. This is filling breakfast due to the bran, as it provides bulk without adding to my carbohydrate load significantly.
On weekends my wife makes vegetarian omletes, fried tomato/mushroom etc. I usually eat this with 1-1.5 sheets of Mountain bread cut to biscuit sized pieces. This is more than enough to use in 'picking up' the other food.
Lunch:
Home cooked fish plus small serve rice and large salad
2x 'rolls' made from a sheet of flat bread with my preferred filling. I use a product called Mountain bread which is about 15g carbohydrate per sheet.
Dinner
Mexican bean stew: Red kidney beans, black beans, various veges. This was a real surprise as the beans cause a long slow BGL change for me. I measured my BGL at 1,2,3 & 4 hours and it peaked only at 3 hours but at a much lower level than other meals.
Pasta and salad. Only a small serve of pasta though.

Eating out
I can eat many finger foods at parties but I just take care to stay away from the sticky sweet things. For example 5 small crackers with cheese or savoury dip is quite OK. I sometimes permit myself a small 'sampler' of something sweet e.g. 1cm end of a slice of cake. I have found that denial of food leads to over indulgence and 'failing' whereas sampling beats the craving. You just balance out the indulgence somewhere else.
As far as resturant food goes I found it was realistic to eat out and not blow my BGL. For example chicken schinitzel, small serve chips and vege/salad does raise not my BGL in an unacceptable way.

You may find that my experience is different to yours but I am confident that if you monitor your BGL you will be able to identify the foods you like to eat that don't affect your BGL significantly when you eat appropriate portion sizes. I beleive the most import aspect is to manage the portion sizes of 'high impact' foods and substitute 'low impact' fillers. An example of this is the use of bran in my breakfast. I still eat about the same volume of breakfast but it is now lower impact overall due to what goes into that volume.