What does the UK leaving the EU mean for us?

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Am I naive in assuming there will be more money for nhs services?

1rnold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes I don't think it will help NHS personal view.I work in the NHS and to be honest they keep
Promising more money but always goes elsewhere, we have a good healthcare system and most of the individuals who commit their life to making it work well

Reactions: 8 people

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I very much doubt it. Already shares in the major banks have slumped, the FTSE had fallen and the pound has dropped dramatically. Short-term, I would guess this means another period of tightening our belts as Article 50 is invoked. The longer term consequences remain unknown and will depend on the terms of our exit.

If we are able to maintain a relationship with the EU and negotiate new additional trade deals then the future looks rosier. If not, then prepare for harder times.

Whatever the end consequence, we can be assured the NHS will be unlikely to gain additional funding. Indeed, early indicators suggest the Conservatives will move further to the right and if that happens, we can expect increasing threats to our existing healthcare system as more private companies rake over delivery of NHS services.

All in all a bad day for the UK, for Europe and for future healthcare.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Basically, it's extremely likely it will cause some kind of recession in the UK, all the smart money thinks this, and as a result the government revenues will be reduced, leaving them with a choice of how to balance the books. Spending on the NHS has never been a priority for this government and is unlikely to become one when faced with a choice of how to save money.

Also, Billions have just been wiped off share prices - I've lost about £5,000 overnight just off my kid's university/first home funds and god knows how much off my pensions. That demographic of older people tending towards leave votes is going to cost them dearly. My funds have got time to recover, as I'm only 53, but if you're 60 and older it's going to cost you dearly.

This is a good round-up
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36537906

Reactions: 4 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
As we run out of money, the USA insurance companies will be rubbing their hands with joy.
Unknown times lay ahead.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically, it's extremely likely it will cause some kind of recession in the UK, all the smart money thinks this, and as a result the government revenues will be reduced, leaving them with a choice of how to balance the books. Spending on the NHS has never been a priority for this government and is unlikely to become one when faced with a choice of how to save money.

Also, Billions have just been wiped off share prices - I've lost about £5,000 overnight just off my kid's university/first home funds and god knows how much off my pensions. That demographic of older people tending towards leave votes is going to cost them dearly. My funds have got time to recover, as I'm only 53, but if you're 60 and older it's going to cost you dearly.

This is a good round-up
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36537906

The Stock Market reaction is partly because the result was a bit of a shock for the city who assumed Remain would win. Remember that in Feb 2015 the FTSE 100 was just over 5,500 its now just over 6,000 so hardly financial Armageddon. Sterling has already rallied a bit against the USD and the Euro. There will be a few days of wobbles.. unless you are cashing in your pension tomorrow the overall effect will probably be less than the media is being hysterical about.

Reactions: 6 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

No, it's far more likely it will be sold piecemeal to American healthcare providers, as the ultra right tories will be seeing their mandate endorsed.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Stock Market reaction is partly because the result was a bit of a shock for the city who assumed Remain would win. Remember that in Feb 2015 the FTSE 100 was just over 5,500 its now just over 6,000 so hardly financial Armageddon. Sterling has already rallied a bit against the USD and the Euro. There will be a few days of wobbles.. unless you are cashing in your pension tomorrow the overall effect will probably be less than the media is being hysterical about.

Dead cat bounce, I've been buying all morning.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The markets always react to political uncertainty - every general election it gets the jitters but soon rallies! In

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well we will now have the freedom to have sewage on our beaches again now that the EU can't tell us what to do.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

There is unlikely to be any more money for the NHS.

There will be:

No more EU structural financial support of the type piled into Wales, Hull and a lot of struggling Northern regions

Value of our pensions in the medium term will decline.

Jobs and investment are likely to be hit....a local company here in Cambridge were holding off make BG a decision re their work force until,after the referendum and once it came through fired 150 workers yesterday and one of our biggest Pharma have strongly suggested they will no longer proceed with their investment and regroup within Europe.

Prices of holidays, fuel, food, all imported goods will rise. Y as much as 10% and that will have a likely impact on inflation.

Moody's the massive credit ratings agency has overnight down graded the UK to Negative as a medium term view of stability, debt cover and growth.

It's going be to a very tough few years:(

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

1rnold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hope this doesn't happen although reading the links it seems likely. I just hope we don't end up like some countries needing semi-private / private healthcare

Reactions: 2 people

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There is unlikely to be any more money for the NHS.

There will be:

No more EU structural financial support of the type piled into Wales, Hull and a lot of struggling Northern regions

Value of our pensions in the medium term will decline.

Jobs and investment are likely to be hit....a local company here in Cambridge were holding off make BG a decision re their work force until,after the referendum and once it came through fired 150 workers yesterday and one of our biggest Pharma have strongly suggested they will no longer proceed with their investment and regroup within Europe.

Prices of holidays, fuel, food, all imported goods will rise. Y as much as 10% and that will have a likely impact on inflation.

Moody's the massive credit ratings agency has overnight down graded the UK to Negative as a medium term view of stability, debt cover and growth.

It's going be to a very tough few years:(

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum
I live in Wales and our town has had very little if anything at all from European funding, no jobs have been created since the closure of the areas coalmines so in my opinion being part of Europe does nothing for my town.

Reactions: 2 people