What does the UK leaving the EU mean for us?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I live in Wales and our town has had very little if anything at all from European funding, no jobs have been created since the closure of the areas coalmines so in my opinion being part of Europe does nothing for my town.

I am just worried about the net loss to Wales, which will amount to hundreds of millions of pounds and will stop 2 years from when article 50 is eventually triggered.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am just worried about the net loss to Wales, which will amount to hundreds of millions of pounds and will stop 2 years from when article 50 is eventually triggered.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum
It's a worrying time and we can only assume the outcome at the moment, so many lies on both sides it was difficult to know which side to vote for, Scotland want to stay part of Europe and have another referendum to break and Northern Ireland want to reunite with Southern Ireland so Great Britain may just consist of Wales and England which for me would be a sad thing.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's a worrying time and we can only assume the outcome at the moment, so many lies on both sides it was difficult to know which side to vote for, Scotland want to stay part of Europe and have another referendum to break and Northern Ireland want to reunite with Southern Ireland so Great Britain may just consist of Wales and England which for me would be a sad thing.

Me too!

I think it will be challenging for Scotland,unless they can get favoured status from the EU, they would not only have to win another referendum, but apply (under Article 49) to be a member and some how leap frog Moldova, Albania etc.

For a country that still has 1 million people that voted Leave (a minority), but a significant one and a significant drop in critical oil revenues and diminished economic worth it won't be easy.

Like you I prefer them and NI to remain as part of a United Kingdom....let's hope:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Has anyone any idea who would lead the country and take over Cameron's job?
We won't know until the Conservative Party vote on it. Probably not until after their conference in October, then potential candidates are whittled down to 2, by their MPs I think, and then the 150,000 party members will vote.
I think the final two candidates will be Boris Johnson and Theresa May, and Johnson will win because he is popular with the grassroots party members.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I live in Wales and our town has had very little if anything at all from European funding, no jobs have been created since the closure of the areas coalmines so in my opinion being part of Europe does nothing for my town.
Wales has so much funding from EU, where to in wales?

Reactions: 3 people

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ebbw Vale has had a bio lot of funding but it's not replicated in other valley's towns, a new hospital but three cottage hospitals in Blaina, Tredegar and Ebbw Vale were closed and the new hospital is of a similar type.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If wales lose the EU funding, I wonder if they will still be able to afford free prescriptions in their budget.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I expect so. I understood that they were able to afford them by not being so willing to prescribe expensive life prolonging drugs to the terminally ill. Personally I would rather pay for prescriptions and let those in the greatest need have the drugs they need.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
So the Bank of England just spent £250 billion shoring up the banks due to the brexit. That's day one, and we've not even left yet. You know all those people voted to leave because of all the money it cost it to be in the EU, we just paid the banks 25 years worth of it.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that people are waking up to the reality of the 'leave' vote, it seems there's over 2 million people who want a second referendum, perhaps some of them people who have now changed their minds. On the basis that "it aint over till it's over" , and article 50 has not yet been invoked, what do people think about pursuing this. If the force of numbers is great enough, the govt. just might agree to a parliamentary debate, at least :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629324

(well, one can live in hope ....... )

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So the Bank of England just spent £250 billion shoring up the banks due to the brexit. That's day one, and we've not even left yet. You know all those people voted to leave because of all the money it cost it to be in the EU, we just paid the banks 25 years worth of it.

"Moreover, as a backstop, and to support the functioning of markets, the Bank of England stands ready to provide more than £250bn of additional funds through its normal facilities." quote from Mark Carney's statement on Friday morning
The BoE hasn't spent anything yet but it has some funds available for banks to borrow if required...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From the guardians comments section:

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

Ruddy hell! That's "politics" for yah...

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Total fiction if you ask me .... it states that Scotland will break away

A lot of Scottish people who voted to remain in the EU say they would choose Westminster rule over EU rule - Nicola is in danger of losing her current powerful position ..... interesting times ahead.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Total fiction if you ask me .... it states that Scotland will break away

A lot of Scottish people who voted to remain in the EU say they would choose Westminster rule over EU rule - Nicola is in danger of losing her current powerful position ..... interesting times ahead.

The opportunity for Scotland is both extremely complex, extremely challenging and far from certain.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum