What does the UK leaving the EU mean for us?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Crabb resigns from Work & Pensions due to private family matters...ah code for his sexting scandal :(

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I see Hunt remains in place. So the destruction of the NHS is still on the agenda..

duranton1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, As our new P.M. Is an insulin dependant diabetic ( as am I for the last 50 years ) I wonder if it will be easier to obtain more strips to do necessary blood sugar tests considering our P.M. does at least 4 tests per day and has 4 injections. I have been TOLD one test per week is sufficient and I have 5 insulin injections per day. I have had to buy more strips!!!!! Or should I obtain a job in the public eye before I get the much needed strips??????? Perhaps I am too cynical ......

Reactions: 4 people

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@duranton I wouldn't hold your breath as my bet is that TM has private health insurance and pays for her strips anyway. Besides, as she has just had a pay hike to £143, 462pa I doubt she will begrudge the £14+ a month she has to pay for her strips.

Having said that, she has said she wants to see a more equal society, so maybe if 140, 000 of us visited Downing Street and asked her to reconsider, she might change

duranton1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@duranton I wouldn't hold your breath as my bet is that TM has private health insurance and pays for her strips anyway. Besides, as she has just had a pay hike to £143, 462pa I doubt she will begrudge the £14+ a month she has to pay for her strips.

Having said that, she has said she wants to see a more equal society, so maybe if 140, 000 of us visited Downing Street and asked her to reconsider, she might change
Ha ha you are as cynical as me. I figured she would have her health needs covered in her "employment contract" along with the best diabetes physician available 24-7 to ensure she is well cared for and her chef will provide thenecessary meals......
Now I sound bitter but honestly I am not, just realistic. We will just have to wait and see......

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello, As our new P.M. Is an insulin dependant diabetic ( as am I for the last 50 years ) I wonder if it will be easier to obtain more strips to do necessary blood sugar tests considering our P.M. does at least 4 tests per day and has 4 injections. I have been TOLD one test per week is sufficient and I have 5 insulin injections per day. I have had to buy more strips!!!!! Or should I obtain a job in the public eye before I get the much needed strips??????? Perhaps I am too cynical ......

No need to do that, the NICE guidelines in 2015 states that type 1's need to test at least 4 times a day, read sections 1.6.10-1.6.12 and use this to argue your case with your gp:

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2

Also back in 2013 the Dept of Health wrote to all gp practises advising against test strip restrictions for people with type 1 diabetes, here is the letter which you might want to copy:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../Safe-care-of-people-with-type-1-diabetes.pdf

duranton1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No need to do that, the NICE guidelines in 2015 states that type 1's need to test at least 4 times a day, read sections 1.6.10-1.6.12 and use this to argue your case with your gp:

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2

Also back in 2013 the Dept of Health wrote to all gp practises advising against test strip restrictions for people with type 1 diabetes, here is the letter which you might want to copy:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../Safe-care-of-people-with-type-1-diabetes.pdf

Thanks for that, I will look up and copy the letter.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Have you tried pushing back with your GP? As an insulin user, I should think they need to demonstrate much more testing support.

I am T2 non medicated and have lancets and strips in prescription and at my last check up he gave me a prescription for 400 of each, so prescription costs at just under £20 for these was excellent. I use GlucoRX which privately are £10 for 50 strips, so that would have been £80 instead of £10 and whatever the lancets would have been, so great support and a massive saving.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, Boris seems to have had hit the ground running.

Awaiting his comments on Turkey.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The coup leaders might have thought they would get recognition from the UK because the new Foreign Secretary has referred to the Turkey PM as a w@*#er.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The coup leaders might have thought they would get recognition from the UK because the new Foreign Secretary has referred to the Turkey PM as a w@*#er.

I'm sure the turkisk PM has made similar comments about Boris.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

He can be right once or twice... clearly right with this quote.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Whenever there is a table in public, test in public.

Yesterday, I did so at a table and bench along a peoples' path at a local hospital, I did the whole routine with the meter. The hospital lab was nearby, so I even go to chuck away the evidence. At least five people stopped by to watch and ask questions.

If we hide it, they don't know we need it

Reminds me of the transitional period between bottle and breast feeding norms. I was on a bus when some cretin asked a breastfeeding mother why she was exposing herself in public. She shot back with "Whaadya expect? My baby's hungry and I'm not going to give him a bottle full of agribusiness poisons."

Why should we be ashamed of taking good and proper care of ourselves and letting people know that we need the tools to accomplish that?

In 27 years, no one has stopped and asked me about testing or injecting myself and you had 5, incredible.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, now there is talk of the EU invoking Article 7 against us.
Will we be suspended from the EU before we can leave?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So, now there is talk of the EU invoking Article 7 against us.
Will we be suspended from the EU before we can leave?

But European Union law experts say that it is “almost unthinkable” that the EU would take this drastic step to put pressure on Britain.

Dr Nikos Skoutaris, a lecturer at the University of East Anglia, said that the EU can use Article 7 to suspend rights such as access to the single market or voting rights in the European Council.

But Dr Skoutaris said in order to trigger that Article, the EU must detect a clear risk of a serious breach by a member state of EU values referred to in the treaty.

He said: “Those values are, among else, freedom, democracy, respect of human rights including the rights of minorities. So, there must be a really grave risk to one of those in order the EU to use Article 7.”

But he said: “This procedure has never been triggered so far and it is almost unthinkable that it would be triggered to the UK situation.”

http://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...ut-European-Union-delay-Article-50-referendum

Reactions: 6 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
'freedom, democracy, respect of human rights including the rights of minorities.'

Stopping the free movement across borders
Sending EU citizens back to their member state
Ignoring the Scottish vote
Ignoring the Irish vote

All things the government have gone on record as intending to action.

And, until recently, it was unthinkable we'd vote to leave apparently.
Many countries have a self interest in closing us down now, and asset stripping the financial service industry while we're still dawdling.

I'm now looking at moving even more from the UK into foreign currency accounts, or even tangible assets like gold.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The problem is, decent pay to many is a lot more than minimum wage.
And you don't get more than the minimum wage if you're only going to be picking fruit.
But, hopefully they will get their dream.
As the 'immigrants' are no longer allowed to 'come over here. taking our jobs', and the fruit picking appears in the local job centre, the long term unemployed, getting social, housing benefit, child allowance, and whatever else is being handed out, who all voted leave, will see that they can go picking fruit all day now, instead of going to the pub and spending money they haven't earned. And hopefully May will be putting an austerity package in place for them, to give them their dream, and reduce government spending as the economy cools off.
Winners all round.
I agree with you. I think it was very unfortunate and the outcomes are not likely to be what the Brexiteers promised. I just think it is best to try to understand people's reasoning.

And about a month ago the IMF, no less, admitted that the 'austerity' packages that they have been forcing on developing countries for years, and which now predominate in Europe have a very negative impact on the economy.

This is an astonishing admission, if you know the IMF and its history. because the alternative to austerity is redistribution. So all of a sudden, the tax avoidance schemers really do look much more culpable than the 'slackers', 'scroungers' and whatever other derogatory and pejorative terms are applied to the working and non-working poor.