What foods do you miss most

A

AnnieC

I think most of us have recently read a thread from someone here who is really missing the foods she used to eat before becoming diabetic and who doesn't empathise with that I know I do so how about the rest of us what do you really miss the most and what naughty treat do you allow yourself sometimes
Because I low fat there are other foods I miss that I used to eat like anything to high in saturated fat etc
Good old fashion winter stew with loads of root vegetables in it served with real mashed potato
Potatoes in general
Mash and fried onions with sausages and loads of mustard... the only way to have that meal.... cauliflower or celeriac mash is just not the same.....
Artisan breads big hunks with soups and cheese
A big juicy very rare steak with loads of pepper sauce ...I don't eat red meat any more only chicken
Rock fish and lots of chips from the fish shop.....did have that for a treat last Friday and ate far to many chips but it was heavenly
Bananas and grapes I used to eat a lot of those
Lots of the cheeses that I can't get the reduced fat version of
Never had much of a sweet tooth so don't really miss those high sugar foods

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
None that I can think of, I'm type 1 so can eat any food within reason.

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I can't dwell on the old food. Maybe that's just me. There are so many amazing new food ideas still to discover. Onwards and upwards! :happy:

A

AnnieC

I can't dwell on the old food. Maybe that's just me. There are so many amazing new food ideas still to discover. Onwards and upwards! :happy:
Yes you are probably right most of the time I don't think about what I can't eat but then something will just trigger it off especially when food shopping like.the smell of fresh baked bread

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Good attitude, going through life fantasising over what you can't eat is pointless, concentrate instead on making what you can eat tastier :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I don't miss anything, not even bread which was my most favourite food. Me and my body are happy knowing the food I eat is satisfying and good for me, so why would I hanker back to the old days of high BG with all it's inherent problems (both current and future), diarrhoea, constipation, lethargy, aches and pains etc, plus the cravings for more and more carbohydrates in all it's various forms :)

Reactions: 5 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Good attitude, going through life fantasising over what you can't eat, concentrate on making what you can eat tastier :)
I am uncommonly chirpy for a Sunday morning today lol.

As I am now stuck with D, I am trying to make the best of it. Cauliflower couscous flavoured with el ras hanout is my latest find. Tastier and more nutritious than regular couscous. I am sure there are other such gems out there.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I miss the range of carbs but as I'm on insulin I can indulge every so often. Why do you low fat? Don't believe all the stuff in the media about fat killing you; much of the research is suspect. It's the carbs that are the killer as they get deposited as fat when you eat too many. Just keep it sensible and unsaturated fat when you can

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Cheesecake. Sorry. Flapjack too! However, I have discovered a recipe for a low carb version which looks heavenly but where do I get coconut oil and coconut flour from? Have discovered a gorgeous Thai fish soup which I love and when I'm feeling bad to the core and wanting to live dangerously I make Jamie Oliver's chocolate pots recipe:
300 ml single cream
200g 85% dark chocolate
2 egg yolks
2 dsp of brandy (if desired)
Heat the cream in the microwave. Break the choccie in the hot cream and stir till it melts. When cooled slightly, stir in egg yolks then alcohol.
Pour into 4 ramekins and refrigerate for half an hour.
You are only meant to eat ONE OCCasionally!

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Forfar bridies and scones, just can't seem to figure those 2 out!

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheesecake. Sorry. Flapjack too! However, I have discovered a recipe for a low carb version which looks heavenly but where do I get coconut oil and coconut flour from? Have discovered a gorgeous Thai fish soup which I love and when I'm feeling bad to the core and wanting to live dangerously I make Jamie Oliver's chocolate pots recipe:
300 ml single cream
200g 85% dark chocolate
2 egg yolks
2 dsp of brandy (if desired)
Heat the cream in the microwave. Break the choccie in the hot cream and stir till it melts. When cooled slightly, stir in egg yolks then alcohol.
Pour into 4 ramekins and refrigerate for half an hour.
You are only meant to eat ONE OCCasionally!

I have only bought one lot of coconut flour and that was from holland and barrett. I have used it so little that I haven't had the need to buy any more but when I do may shop around. Others will probably be able to advise you better. I haven't bought coconut oil either but have seen it in the main supermarkets.

please could I have your recipe for flapjack?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't have one for flap jack:( only cheese cake!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't miss anything as I still eat everything, just not in the size of portions and the frequency I used to. I never ate cakes, sweets and chocolate that regularly anyway, I don't have a sweet tooth at all,

Savoury is my thing, crisps, but I eat weightwatchers crisps now and again at 13g a bag my bs isn't affected, I eat about 90g of carbs a day and yes I still eat mashed potato!:eek: I find if I make it the day before and keep it in the fridge a tablespoon of it is fine for me.

There is one thing I really miss and that's my fresh fruit in nice big portions, my treat at christmas used to be a big bowl of exotic fruits while everyone else was munching the choccies, that's the only thing I truly miss, hubby brought me in a pret a manger fruit salad on Friday and I take one piece every so often through the day, I still have about a quarter if it left , in the old days I would have eaten 2 pots in one go!

A

AnnieC

Yes, I miss the range of carbs but as I'm on insulin I can indulge every so often. Why do you low fat? Don't believe all the stuff in the media about fat killing you; much of the research is suspect. It's the carbs that are the killer as they get deposited as fat when you eat too many. Just keep it sensible and unsaturated fat when you can
I do low fat because it suits me I don't want to load my body with saturated animal fat I really don't believe all thats said in the media as there is always good and bad about everything so I do what I feel suits my own body I have cut out most starchy carbs but I don't do carb counting I eat the food that I know I can without giving me high BS levels so why would I change

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think that there is more than one approach - low GI and low carb. Don't agree with low GI as have seen great results and the science make sense whereas nobody has managed to prove to me why low carb is bad, including the consultant BUT I do think its a case of horses for courses and think we should all do what works for us. I have just had a sliver of Victoria Sandwich cake, which I made for the children's' lunch boxes. I was quite disappointed and was left with that feeling that I wish I hadn't bothered. This is the 2nd sliver I have had since being diagnosed, 5 weeks ago. Feels quite good actually. Taste buds are definitely changing. The consultant said I could have 2-3 glasses of wine a week but I find it puts too much weight on. He didn't belie me - not sure why!

A

AnnieC

I don't miss anything as I still eat everything, just not in the size of portions and the frequency I used to. I never ate cakes, sweets and chocolate that regularly anyway, I don't have a sweet tooth at all,

Savoury is my thing, crisps, but I eat weightwatchers crisps now and again at 13g a bag my bs isn't affected, I eat about 90g of carbs a day and yes I still eat mashed potato!:eek: I find if I make it the day before and keep it in the fridge a tablespoon of it is fine for me.

There is one thing I really miss and that's my fresh fruit in nice big portions, my treat at christmas used to be a big bowl of exotic fruits while everyone else was munching the choccies, that's the only thing I truly miss, hubby brought me in a pret a manger fruit salad on Friday and I take one piece every so often through the day, I still have about a quarter if it left , in the old days I would have eaten 2 pots in one go!

I still eat most fruit I could eat a pot of fruit salad providing it is fresh made and not the sort ready made in syrup or juice If I made mashed potato there is no way I could only eat a tablespoon I would have to eat the lot so I just don't have it that way I am not tempted

sunday

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter´s a type 1 so she can eat everything but she´s not allowed to drink anything. She told me she misses to drink juice.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
100 ml of any fruit juice or smoothie is allowed everday for a type 1... Dont understand why your daughter cant have this, unless its alchohol? Again, in moderation your daughter could have alchohol..

Nothing is truly off limits to anybody if you know portion control,,

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App