What goes on here???

Marzeater

Only 3 hours after sausage, mash and beans I had a hypo feeling so I tested and reading of 3.4. I have to go and pick up wife in an hour and the only thing I could find is shreaded wheat.
I remember that they were high carbish.
I will test again before I drive. She might be getting the bus home :(
And my dose of gliclazide was reduced a few weeks back.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Marzeater, have you got any orange juice or other sugary drink in the cupboard? Or Lucozade? Or Glucotabs , or honey or jam? fruit? any of these would be better first then maybe followed by shredded wheat. For goodness sake don't drive until you are back up again even if you have to make alternative arrangements for your wife.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tomorrow make sure you go out and buy some glucose sweets or something similar and keep it in a safe place incase this happens again. Better to be prepared :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hypos (especially in T2s) are medication oversdoses. I wouldn't advise glucotabs for a T2. You'll just end up in a vicious cycle of medicating>glucotabs>medicating>glucotabs....

alaska

Hypos (especially in T2s) are medication oversdoses. I wouldn't advise glucotabs for a T2. You'll just end up in a vicious cycle of medicating>glucotabs>medicating>glucotabs...

I'd be interested to hear further reasoning Patch. I would imagine that this cycle would only be entered if someone over treated the hypo by having too many glucose sweets.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Type 2s need to get out of hypos quickly just like type 1s do. I agree it would probably be an overdose of medication so that needs to be looked at soon but in the meantime quick action was needed here. Glucotabs not taken to excess are one of the best ways to raise the levels fast - just must not take too many - as with type 1s.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Marzeater - let us know how you got on we are all interested :)
You didn't have any Mars bars then? 8)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Patch said:
Hypos (especially in T2s) are medication oversdoses. I wouldn't advise glucotabs for a T2. You'll just end up in a vicious cycle of medicating>glucotabs>medicating>glucotabs....

I've had a few hypos and am not on any medication !

A hypo is simply when your Bg level falls below 4 and you sshould get the warning symptoms of a hypo before that. Hypo awareness.

As Marzeater is indeed on medication however it could mean that Insulin resistance has lessened and the medication may need to be reviewed again. This is something to be discussed with the Doctor.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Patch said:

Not quite as simple as you make out........ANYBODY, even a non-Diabetic can hypo, it just means low blood sugar levels. Anything below 4 mmol/l.....the 'floor.'

There are many causes for a hypo some of which are, medication induced, too much Insulin (injected or self produced), a delayed or missed meal, not enough food, unusual or excessive amounts of exercise, stress or even hot weather. It isn't just medication you need to think about.
Some non Diabetic related diseases can also cause low Bg levels.

Glucotabs are the recommended treatment for a hypo. Doesn't matter whether you are Type 2, Type 1 etc.......a good simple way to treat initially. You just take a small quantity, usually 2-3 then after about 10-15 mins the levels should usually be back up to more normal levels. That is then the time to eat a 'small' carby snack which will stabilise the levels unless you plan to have a meal in the next half hour or so. Providing you don't over treat they do not cause a roller coaster effect.

Even those on diet only can hypo.......not usual, but perfectly possible as evidenced by posts on here from Members who are diet only. Read the Hypo information posted in Greetings and Introductions, it might help explain the process.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:

It would be interesting to know what you would advise to treat a hypo if not fast acting glucose?

Nigel

Marzeater

Thanks to all the replies.
My BG rose to 5.2 so I considered it safe to drive to where my wife works and I let her drive home.
My gliclazide was halved a few months back as GP said I was under good control ( I thought it wa only a couple of weeks ago :? ) to 180 mg from 360 mg.

As for mars bars.........they are probably the main cause of my problems. The old advert said a mars a day helps you work rest and play. I figured if one is good then half a dozen was better :D
My latest HBA1C results are due tomorrow