What has happened to my hair?

lilybet

Hi folks,
I am hoping someone can give me some advice regarding my hair. I have always had very shiny locks, and yes, I am a little vain about my crowning glory!
However, recently my hair has morphed into a flat, dull, lank mess. I have tried lots of different shampoos and conditioners, I have tried shampooing only, drying naturally. As this is a new phenomena, could it be related to being type 2?
In the great scheme of things, I know it may not rank up there with world peace, or hung parliaments, but it is starting to get to me a bit.
So, any suggestions shall be gratefully rceived!
Thank you!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lilybet,

Being a man with a shaved head, I am not much good hear on advising on hair conditions! :(

However, I do know that diet is important in keeping healthy hair and skin, so try googling foodstuff that may help with this condition, failing that speak with your gp as you may have a deficiency of some description. Good luck!

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've been diagnosed T2 for over 6 years and am in my 60s, but my hair is fine,despite swimming twice weekly. So I don't suppose T2 alone is the cause of your problem, however, could something you are doing be the cause? Have you cut fats out of your diet? Too little fat isn't good for skin or hair.
Also Low thyroid sometimes goes with diabetes and dry hair can be a symptom of low Thyroid.
I would make an appointment to see a sympathetic GP.
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I would go and discuss it with your hairdresser.....not everything is Diabetes related.

Ken

lilybet

Thank you Nigel,
Did some research before posting my question, and I don't seem to fit in to any of the categories!
However, I am due to see my GP next week to review my meds, so I will mention it to him.

Dippy3103

Do you use heated styling tools a lot? My hair goes very dull if I don't use liberal amounts of heat protection spray. I cheat and use spray shine a lot.

lilybet

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies.
Having looked at my problem logically, I eliminated all of the things which may be to blame and guess what?
I am pleased to report that my shiny locks are back!
I changed shampoo and conditioner and all is well. I have no idea what transpired, but it looks as if my problem was due to the products I was using which had caused a build up. Although I have used the same products for the last year!
So, as one commentator correctly assumed, not everything is down to type 2!
So I was out in the sunshine yesterday, flicking my hair around like a demented version of the late lamented Timotei advert!
Isn't it amazing how simple things make life worth living?

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
lilybet said:
So I was out in the sunshine yesterday, flicking my hair around like a demented version of the late lamented Timotei advert!

Just so long as you're not in a cornfield replicating that beautiful girl seductively eating her Flake :oops:

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Ardbeg said:
lilybet said:

Just so long as you're not in a cornfield replicating that beautiful girl seductively eating her Flake :oops:

You mean the one with her teeth dropping out!? :shock: :lol:

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
It's best to change the shampoo and conditioner you use fairly frequently, even if you have one that you particularly like. It's rather like always eating exactly the same food every day - doesn't help your general health!
Advice from a professional hairdresser.