"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just back from a visit to the GP's surgery. I had a letter saying they needed to check bloods for iron, thyroid etc. As often happens, the nurse couldn't get any blood so called on another nurse to see if she could. The second nurse took one look at me and groaned. She says I am notorious in the practice for being a miser with my blood! She did manage it though. Neil had to wheel me in in the wheelchair, my legs and feet are so bad these last couple of days and I don't know that he was best pleased that the nurse assumed he was my husband! He's actually very young looking for 55, but he was wearing a mask, of course. Takes me back to the time when folk thought that my Dad was my boyfriend - he was very young looking and, as a teenager, I looked older than my years. Dad was delighted!

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Such good news on your brother @Annb xx

It is good news, but SIL and I are not complacent. He still has a long way to go and things could still go wrong. I imagine there will be days when his recovery falters and we'll feel worried again, but for now it's looking hopeful. He still can't speak because he still has the tracheostomy in and apparently is getting very frustrated. Probably not a good thing, but it will make him work hard at getting past the need for it. I have not always agreed with my brother but have always admired his sense of purpose and determination. That's what will pull him through this now.

Reactions: MommaE and maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks amazing.
Ps I am also singing the spam song after @shelley262 ‘s post
Took it to the parallel thread.
The youtube is some rabbit hole!
Doing a search on the spam song led me (among other things) to this ridiculous video on a spam quiz! :hilarious:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Trying my hand at growing endive for the guinea pigs (and myself).
What better set up to use as protection against the cats than a guinea pig cage!

Wish me luck. Throughout the years I have tried growing things both indoors and outdoors several times, but the only thing I've managed to grow to the point of eating so far was the letter A in cress at elementary school...

edit: Oh, and squash, also at school. Giant horrific squash. I don't like squash. (Or courgette, or zucchini, however you want to call it.)

278398562_10225414786190938_1098161920494477178_n.jpg

Reactions: shelley262

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb I was reading about the latest ferry breakdown in Arran. There was a resident from Arran on saying they are running out of fuel, businesses are closing to due lack of stock and, of course, the cancelled hospital appointments because they cannot get there. The ferries really are a total shambles and not looking like improving any time soon.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb I was reading about the latest ferry breakdown in Arran. There was a resident from Arran on saying they are running out of fuel, businesses are closing to due lack of stock and, of course, the cancelled hospital appointments because they cannot get there. The ferries really are a total shambles and not looking like improving any time soon.

Yes, I heard about that breakdown. One of the ship's engines, apparently so now they are having to make do with a much smaller ferry which can't carry either the same number of passengers or amount of freight. We haven't reached that stage yet. Arran seems to be far worse off than us in the Hebrides, even though it is much closer to the Central Belt. I don't suppose the alternative ferry to Lochranza would be any help. As I remember it, it was just a very small ship with very little space for either freight or passengers. Haven't been on it since about 2003 but I don't suppose it has improved much.

At least, here, if the Ullapool ferry fails us, some freight and passengers can use the Tarbert ferry and get onto the Island. And we can always fly in an emergency.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reading about Ullapool and Tarbert reminds me of enjoyable family holidays years ago, touring the beautiful North of Scotland. We covered many miles over the course of 14 days, stopping where and when we liked in some lovely b&b's.

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
We did a similar tour back in 1972. It was amazing and beautiful. We tried to get to the Isle of Lewis during that tour, but (did you guess it?) the ferry had broken down and we just had to look out over the loch from Ullapool and dream. Bit we did make it a couple of years later, coming directly as part of my husband's job (recruiting sailors for Denholm Shipping Co) and that's when we decided to make the move here.

Not sure what I ate yesterday - the whole day was a blur of getting myself organised for visitors in the afternoon. I think it started with a small bowl of cereal and milk but it ended quite badly with nibbling at some of the bits and pieces I prepared for my guests.

Em came in from school just after 3 pm and saw the state I was in (doing too much left me in a huge amount of pain, but it had to be done) and insisted that I should sit down while she made me a cup of tea. She also made me a plate of food designed to give me energy - and orange cut into quarters, a pile of cashew nuts and a dairylea triangle. She helped me get everything ready from then on and, although her mum had said she should go home when my guests arrived, she opted to stay. They were completely charmed by her. She joined in the conversation on a very adult level and made it clear that she believes that everyone is created equal - no matter what their ethnic origins, crede, colour, nationality - and everyone deserves to be treated fairly. One of those there commented that her opinions are not held by everyone in the world, to which she replied that these were her opinions and she didn't care if she was different - proud of it in fact. This was much applauded by my guests. When they left, she acted the charming hostess and wished them all well, saying how delighted she had been to meet them. Even knowing her, as I do, I was quite impressed.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I heard about that breakdown. One of the ship's engines, apparently so now they are having to make do with a much smaller ferry which can't carry either the same number of passengers or amount of freight. We haven't reached that stage yet. Arran seems to be far worse off than us in the Hebrides, even though it is much closer to the Central Belt. I don't suppose the alternative ferry to Lochranza would be any help. As I remember it, it was just a very small ship with very little space for either freight or passengers. Haven't been on it since about 2003 but I don't suppose it has improved much.

At least, here, if the Ullapool ferry fails us, some freight and passengers can use the Tarbert ferry and get onto the Island. And we can always fly in an emergency.
I've just read that's the Arran ferry out-of service for another 10 days. I feel for the islanders.

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just read that's the Arran ferry out-of service for another 10 days. I feel for the islanders.

I hadn't heard that - slept through the Scottish News bulletin - but with the way the ferry services are now, it's not a surprise that there is a further delay for the Arran ferry. Makes life very difficult for the Islanders - especially coming into the tourist season. Many of the businesses on the Island depend on tourism to survive and the whole economy of the Island can suffer if tourism does. And then there are the other aspects - getting to mainland appointments, getting to work on the mainland, getting everyday supplies and medical supplies to the Island. Makes life hard, just because the ferry fails them.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hadn't heard that - slept through the Scottish News bulletin - but with the way the ferry services are now, it's not a surprise that there is a further delay for the Arran ferry. Makes life very difficult for the Islanders - especially coming into the tourist season. Many of the businesses on the Island depend on tourism to survive and the whole economy of the Island can suffer if tourism does. And then there are the other aspects - getting to mainland appointments, getting to work on the mainland, getting everyday supplies and medical supplies to the Island. Makes life hard, just because the ferry fails them.
It's getting worse for them. 5 out of 6 petrol stations have run out. Pubs are running out of beer!! and their tourism is down 40% apparently. They are having to prioritise Arran residents so tourists cannot book. They have to take pot luck Trouble is if the get there they don't know when, or if, they will get back.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It seems to me that something as gone awry with Calmac's ability to plan their service adequately. Once upon a time, they would have extra ferries waiting in the wings for emergencies so that the Islands they served weren't left hanging. Now, it seems that their ferries are all so ancient and worn out that they can't do that. The company have had issues for years with sourcing their ships - trying to do it on the cheap (as, I'd guess most shipping companies do) and buying in inadequate vessels. Fore example, the Suilven, which used to serve the Isle of Lewis. She was built for the Baltic where conditions are quite dissimilar to the Minch and she was never a comfortable vessel, especially in bad weather. Even, once, one of her officers simply walked off saying she was a death trap and unstable. She was eventually sold off to a New Zealand company and plied her trade for a few years in southern waters before being scrapped.

I would hug the folk on the Isle of Arran, if I could. But it wouldn't help. What they need is a decent ferry service.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a visit from Em's mum and dad - they called in to pick Em up - as usual she had come in from school. They had with them the 3 dogs, so this kitchen, big as it is, was very crowded. I like dogs, but I'm glad I don't have one. These 3 shed hair and slobbers (especially the St Bernard). I had to go and change once they'd gone! Why doesn't someone invent a chin nappy for slobbery dogs? The St Bernard is now taller than the Newfie cross and her head is about the same size as his even with his "mane". Her stomach is considerably bigger and it is possible to feel the pups moving inside her now. I have a horrible feeling that Neil is going to find himself overseeing a first-time birthing of a St Bernard litter when he is looking after the dogs next weekend - eldest grandson is getting married in Kirkudbright on Sunday! I was surprised at the day, but I am assured that it is so. Anyhow the family (including Em's sister and family) are all heading that way on Saturday and the dogs are left for Neil to care for. Not that she'll need help, I don't suppose, but if she does, he can call the vet. Someone got their timing wrong! Blame Banksie.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I gave the bacon roll to Em's dad and he sliced it, fried it in butter and served it with gravy and vegetables. Didn't bother with potatoes - there was enough carb there for everyone. It seems to have gone down pretty well.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why doesn't someone invent a chin nappy for slobbery dogs?
Sounds like the perfect task for you!
Invent, make a prototype, sell, get rich and rid of dog slobber at the same time!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like the perfect task for you!
Invent, make a prototype, sell, get rich and rid of dog slobber at the same time!

But you have to be smart to invent things. Maybe someone will do it soon - whenever I have a good idea for an invention and think I should approach someone who could make it, it appears in shops about 6 months later - invented by someone else!

Nothing eaten so far today, but have had some tea. Had a rubbish night because I knew I needed to be up early to get the bins out for collection. Meant to go to bed at 11 pm, but didn't jump up straight away and then found it was after midnight and I'd fallen asleep in the chair (again). Got to bed about 12.30 and slept until 2.45 am. Too sore and uncomfortable chest again, so got up and sat in that same chair with a cup of tea. Went back to sleep about 5.30 and woke again at 7.15 when I jumped up and got washed and dressed so that I could go outside and drag the bins out to the gate.

While I was outside, I decided to toddle round to the back of the house to see how some of my fruit bushes were doing - some look dead after the winter but some look fine. Toddling round was a mistake because I nearly didn't make it back into the house - legs were in a bad way. If I'd been using my stick, I would have gone over, but luckily, I had used my rollator and managed to stay upright. Collapsed into the chair, once inside, and fell asleep again until just after 10.00.

Doesn't auger well for being "active" in the next couple of days, but we shall see.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a phone call from my niece - husband's niece - her mother has had a fall in her wet room and broken her ankle. She has an emergency alarm and so her daughters came to her aid very rapidly and called the emergency services. They insisted that, in case of other injury, the girls shouldn't move their mother but wait for an ambulance and para-medics. So they covered her as best they could and tried to insulate her from the floor, and waited; and waited; and waited for 5 hours before an ambulance came.

The medics told them that there have been cuts and so there are fewer para-medics and ambulances in service than before. So all their cases have to be prioritised and there are more urgent cases than a potentially broken ankle. However, the potential was for more than a broken ankle and that was why she was still on the floor. At 85, laying on the floor and getting cold was possibly more of a risk. Anyhow, she is now in hospital.

A further issue is that she has coeliac disease and so has to have gluten free food. The hospital has a problem with providing a gluten free diet so her daughters have to take appropriate food to her until the hospital can get its act together. They are in Saltcoats - the area covered by the Ayrshire and Arran health board. (Arran again).

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This evening had another phone call. This one was from Em. She wanted to let me know that Ginnie had started having her pups. Only one had arrived when she called but she hung up pretty quickly so I assume more action was under way. That's good - Neil won't have to watch over Ginnie in case she needs help while the family is away.