"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't be so sure. We caught our 2 kittens manoeuvring a whole baguette (the really long French bread) in through the cat flap one day. They managed even though it was bigger than they were.
I've seen my dogs carrying impressive things too, but in this case, the bone is simply too heavy for them to lift, let alone navigating the stairs and the jump into my bed!

Besides, I know the sense of humour my young neighbour posesses, and he doesn't think it's odd in anyway just barging into my house, whether I'm at home or not!
Just the other day I came in from the garden and encountered him coming down the stairs with one of my dogs in his arms because he felt sorry for her she missed a treat, so he had fetched her to give her one! :happy:

I could of course inform him that as a rule, one does not simply barge into ones landlord living room to kidnap dogs or hide stuff in said landlord's bed, but I must admit I like it so I won't tell him.
His complete unawareness of it being odd is very cute. :hilarious:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen my dogs carrying impressive things too, but in this case, the bone is simply too heavy for them to lift, let alone navigating the stairs and the jump into my bed!

Besides, I know the sense of humour my young neighbour posesses, and he doesn't think it's odd in anyway just barging into my house, whether I'm at home or not!
Just the other day I came in from the garden and encountered him coming down the stairs with one of my dogs in his arms because he felt sorry for her she missed a treat, so he had fetched her to give her one! :happy:

I could of course inform him that as a rule, one does not simply barge into ones landlord living room to kidnap dogs or hide stuff in said landlord's bed, but I must admit I like it so I won't tell him.

A long time ago now - before we discovered that Neil was seriously allergic to cats - we had a kitten. He was born on a farm of cats kept to control rats - both parents very big cats. When he was still quite young, he went out hunting for himself and often caught rodents and birds. We took them away from him when we could and sent the shocked animals on their way to live another day.

One morning I came through to the kitchen to find him sitting up in a corner of the work surface play-boxing with a young rabbit - as big as himself which he had caught and carried up our back steps, through the cat flap and then jumped with it in his mouth up onto the work surface. The rabbit must have weighed pretty well as much as himself. He was not too pleased when I took it away from him to set it free.

When we moved to the Islands, people thought he was a wildcat. He really did look just like one, but he was very tame and I gather wildcats are impossible to tame, even from a very young age.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I envy your kindness! All the people who tried to violate my personal space or the limits of my property or take my things without permission regretted it very much:hilarious:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The giant bone has been sent on to my friend's slightly larger dog who can have a go at it. :)
And if Bruno can't manage either, he has a very large and strong doggy friend to whom he can pass it along!

285707443_5478529692198450_1433955894239712949_n.jpg

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The giant bone has been sent on to my friend's slightly larger dog who can have a go at it. :)
And if Bruno can't manage either, he has a very large and strong doggy friend to whom he can pass it along!

I think Bruno is very grateful to your neighbor:cat:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a visit from Em and her niece (about 10 months younger than herself). They had decided to go looking for Bella (without thinking to tell anyone) but, on the way, decided to call in on me. Luckily so, because 2 small girls out on the moor in the twilight (it doesn't really get dark here at this time of year) searching for a lost dog, is a recipe for disaster. Once here Em decided to act the hostess and serve tea and biscuits to her niece but before she had finished hers the phone rang with a rather upset DIL on the other end wanting to know if they had come here and so they went off with the proverbial flea in their ears.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Aww Bruno the Beagle is sooo cute - we used to have a beagle called Sam - they are lovely dogs but can be very greedy ... he got in to trouble many a time for stealing food! he was never full no matter how much we gave him to eat and was always looking for more ...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I absolutely loathe packing!

And it's gotten worse since diabetes.
I used to have to pack enough clothes (counting on stuff getting wet), sleeping stuff, dog food, poop bags, toothbrush, tobacco, book and something to nibble on in my cabin, and any of those things are relatively easy to replace if forgotten.

Now I need to not forget 3 types of insulin, extra insulin (in a different bag, lest I forget a bag), extra teststrips, sensor, overpatches, needles, glucose meter plus an extra and batteries, suitable food for 4 days with very little fridge space and no cooking, and none of those things (except the food are easily replaced.

I also need to bring a ladder, the existing one to get into my cabin on this particular ship is a disaster, especially if you need to carry down two unwilling dogs, so I bring my own to this ship! :hilarious:

That was enough whingeing, I'm very much looking forward to this 4 day trip!
It's a wonderful ship with a great skipper. Found a picture of him on the internet, he's definitely as cool as he looks!

The group will be special too this time, it's a group of people with learning disabilities and usually those groups are great fun to sail with!

Will send you a picture during the trip. :)

Emma-03L.jpg

EMPeter.jpg

Reactions: Annb and MommaE

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I used to have to pack enough clothes (counting on stuff getting wet), sleeping stuff, dog food, poop bags, toothbrush, tobacco, book and something to nibble on in my cabin, and any of those things are relatively easy to replace if forgotten.

Now I need to not forget 3 types of insulin, extra insulin (in a different bag, lest I forget a bag), extra teststrips, sensor, overpatches, needles, glucose meter plus an extra and batteries, suitable food for 4 days with very little fridge space and no cooking, and none of those things (except the food are easily replaced.

I also need to bring a ladder, the existing one to get into my cabin on this particular ship is a disaster, especially if you need to carry down two unwilling dogs, so I bring my own to this ship! :hilarious:

It's a wonderful ship with a great skipper. Found a picture of him on the internet, he's definitely as cool as he looks!

The group will be special too this time, it's a group of people with learning disabilities and usually those groups are great fun to sail with!

Emma-03L.jpg

EMPeter.jpg

Have a great time.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Emma-03L.jpg

EMPeter.jpg
Wow! It sounds like you have an exciting journey ahead of you! I will be looking forward to your photos

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My salary was doubled today, so tomorrow I'm going to celebrate it with a friend. I hope it won't be too bad for my diabetes, because if I get to alcohol, I will pour on them not only the joy of promotion, but also the feeling that I have no right to joy while my family is in danger

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Top of everyone's packing list, of course!:joyful:
Looks a great weekend. Have fun
Brought my ladder, found out a new ladder has been installed onboardlastyear! :hilarious:

I had a wonderful day, great sailing (we must have tacked at least 40 times!), wonderful group!
At the end of day one they're already able to hoist and lower the sails by themselves without additional instruction from me, not something all groups manage on day 5, and that's including groups without learning disabilities. :)

One of them is a born deckhand, will have a talk with the non-disabled helpers to ask if it would be possible for him to work a regular job as a deckhand despite his disability.
Not only does he have a feeling for the workings on board and insight in the mechanics of it, he also is a natural when it comes to instructing his peers to solve an issue cropping up.

It made him sad it wouldn't be possible for him to do this work but he had trouble explaining exactly why his disability would make it impossible and asked me to ask the helper because she'd be able to explain better.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brought my ladder, found out a new ladder has been installed onboardlastyear! :hilarious:

I had a wonderful day, great sailing (we must have tacked at least 40 times!), wonderful group!
At the end of day one they're already able to hoist and lower the sails by themselves without additional instruction from me, not something all groups manage on day 5, and that's including groups without learning disabilities. :)

One of them is a born deckhand, will have a talk with the non-disabled helpers to ask if it would be possible for him to work a regular job as a deckhand despite his disability.
Not only does he have a feeling for the workings on board and insight in the mechanics of it, he also is a natural when it comes to instructing his peers to solve an issue cropping up.

It made him sad it wouldn't be possible for him to do this work but he had trouble explaining exactly why his disability would make it impossible and asked me to ask the helper because she'd be able to explain better.
Do I understand correctly that this is your professional activity? What do you do at work? It seems to me that this is something much cooler than I imagine

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do I understand correctly that this is your professional activity? What do you do at work? It seems to me that this is something much cooler than I imagine
I work occasionally as a deckhand on a traditional Dutch sailing ship, yes. :)
It used to be my full-time job for about 15 years but for the last 10 years I've only been doing it occasionally, on different ships.

Those ships are between 20 and 40 meters long, with 1, 2 or 3 masts.
They have between 16 and 34 beds for paying guests, who usually book either a weekend or monday-friday, sometimes 7 days and there are groups who come for 2 weeks!

We're with 2 professionals, skipper and deckhand, and guests are expected to actively help with the sailing and they take care of their own cooking. Skipper and deckhand are just for the sailing (and the fun and food of course!).

My job is to work with the guests to explain how to work the ship and teach them as much as they like to learn. And with this group it's a delight to do so! :)

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I work occasionally as a deckhand on a traditional Dutch sailing ship, yes. :)
It used to be my full-time job for about 15 years but for the last 10 years I've only been doing it occasionally, on different ships.

Those ships are between 20 and 40 meters long, with 1, 2 or 3 masts.
They have between 16 and 34 beds for paying guests, who usually book either a weekend or monday-friday, sometimes 7 days and there are groups who come for 2 weeks!

We're with 2 professionals, skipper and deckhand, and guests are expected to actively help with the sailing and they take care of their own cooking. Skipper and deckhand are just for the sailing (and the fun and food of course!).

My job is to work with the guests to explain how to work the ship and teach them as much as they like to learn. And with this group it's a delight to do so! :)
Sounds like a dream job! (Although I would never be able to work with people). If you can also take your dogs with you, then every working day sounds like a vacation

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
as James Collip told Frederick Banting after purifying insulin, "I've done it!"
Very slight hyperglycemia after an evening full of alcohol and snacks
Just look at this!

IMG_20220604_225136.jpg

After this

IMG_20220604_223134.jpg

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
One disadvantage is that I completely do not distinguish between the symptoms of hyperglycemia and alcohol intoxication, and it seems to me all the time that I need insulin when my bg is normal

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like a dream job! (Although I would never be able to work with people). If you can also take your dogs with you, then every working day sounds like a vacation
Dogs are currently knock-out in my bed after a day of sailing and constantly being cuddled by strangers! They've spent most of the sailing day in the lap of one of the guests. :)

They're very popular with the group, and they've both eaten a WHOLE bratwurst from the grill! (Which is a lot of food for a dog weighing less than 4 kilograms.)
Both my guests and the dogs were very happy they were allowed to feed the dogs!

Reactions: Annb

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Both my guests and the dogs were very happy they were allowed to feed the dogs!
I understand your guests! I would also be thrilled if someone would let me pet or feed his/her dog