"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
or is it because we are mostly of an age to have received an education that included linguistic teaching in the form of Latin/Greek/grammar/punctuation or were brought up with books to read instead of tv/pc/screens

(Thats why my typing is so bad, only pen and paper in my day :writer:)
I'm 43...

And nope, I don't think so. Looking in my family, in the generation above me, some have it, most don't.
And one of the people I babysat has, and he's 32. (And yes, he still tells people I'm his babysitter when we're in the pub :happy:)

Reactions: zauberflote

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
or is it because we are mostly of an age to have received an education that included linguistic teaching in the form of Latin/Greek/grammar/punctuation or were brought up with books to read instead of tv/pc/screens

(Thats why my typing is so bad, only pen and paper in my day :writer:)

Good point.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I read them on my e-reader mostly.
Means I can postpone reading glasses a bit longer... :sorry:

Actually "read" was a past tense. You are a few years younger than my sons, but did you have books to read when you were young, or was it directly onto electronic media?

Quite right to postpone glasses for as long as possible. I don't e-read any more than I have to - I find that my eyes don't cope very well with extensive reading from a screen. Come to think of it, they don't cope very well with the printed word either - old age! I did do a research project with some of my students a few years ago - just at the transition from the printed word to the electronic. We found that, at that point, a fairly large proportion of students took in less information and were less accurate from screen as opposed to paper. I'm pretty sure that the proportions will have altered by now. There are fewer people now who read from paper - definitely old hat.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually "read" was a past tense. You are a few years younger than my sons, but did you have books to read when you were young, or was it directly onto electronic media?
Haha, most of my house is filled with books!
I don't e-read any more than I have to - I find that my eyes don't cope very well with extensive reading from a screen.
Did you try a proper e-reader?
The screen is very different from all other electronic screens!
Very much like a book, and no harder on the eyes than ink on paper.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb so glad the yogurt helps with the horse pills!! And no, I had no other sensations from the ring after the initial scrape in my throat. As to wedding bands in general-- have you seen these silicone bands? I bought one for $7 on Amazon to wear in the hospital several years ago. My previous pastor, a guy in his early 30's, wore one all the time as he cycled daily.
@Antje77 oh my that cartoon is too funny! No, they're not necessarily the same in my usage lol! Fell "in" a hole *could* imply that I was already in the hole before I fell! If you are after an Ig Nobel prize, what better way to get it than linguistics? It's considered a "soft" science which would give it extra brownie points. I will help fund it . You know you're going to have to come out publicly with readers on sooner or later! I will never forget the first time I wore glasses onstage. Good thing I'm a blrn performer-- I could perform "I don't care what you all think!" even if I was mortified lol
@MrsA2 you have an excellent point, but not everyone in our generation has the "loves language" gene. My mother certainly had it, and my dad had enough of it that he'd participate in our ridiculous made-up word games. I really miss that, and the only person who'll play with me is my brother :/
@Annb I hate reading off a screen. One of my SF magazines is online, and it's very high quality so I put up with it, but to me a book is just easier. I also use a paper engagement calendar. Will never give that up! Pretty art from the Metropolitan Museum, something new every week. Which reminds me, it's time to order for next year! I have saved all of them for 40 years; it's fun to look at ones from long ago and try to remember a face to go with a student's name....
MrZF and Son2 took out the old washing machine and brought the cheap old used stopgap one in. I am running a load now, seems to work fine! It smells of scented detergent, which I hate, so will do several bleach loads first.
Tomorrow is make Christmas cookie dough day. My kids have been pestering me for years to start making cookies again!

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you try a proper e-reader?
The screen is very different from all other electronic screens!
Very much like a book, and no harder on the eyes than ink on paper.

No, never have. Actually, my grasp on technology is very out of date now and I don't really know what a proper e-reader is. Must ask Neil.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb so glad the yogurt helps with the horse pills!! And no, I had no other sensations from the ring after the initial scrape in my throat. As to wedding bands in general-- have you seen these silicone bands? I bought one for $7 on Amazon to wear in the hospital several years ago. My previous pastor, a guy in his early 30's, wore one all the time as he cycled daily.
@Antje77 oh my that cartoon is too funny! No, they're not necessarily the same in my usage lol! Fell "in" a hole *could* imply that I was already in the hole before I fell! If you are after an Ig Nobel prize, what better way to get it than linguistics? It's considered a "soft" science which would give it extra brownie points. I will help fund it . You know you're going to have to come out publicly with readers on sooner or later! I will never forget the first time I wore glasses onstage. Good thing I'm a blrn performer-- I could perform "I don't care what you all think!" even if I was mortified lol
@MrsA2 you have an excellent point, but not everyone in our generation has the "loves language" gene. My mother certainly had it, and my dad had enough of it that he'd participate in our ridiculous made-up word games. I really miss that, and the only person who'll play with me is my brother :/
@Annb I hate reading off a screen. One of my SF magazines is online, and it's very high quality so I put up with it, but to me a book is just easier. I also use a paper engagement calendar. Will never give that up! Pretty art from the Metropolitan Museum, something new every week. Which reminds me, it's time to order for next year! I have saved all of them for 40 years; it's fun to look at ones from long ago and try to remember a face to go with a student's name....
MrZF and Son2 took out the old washing machine and brought the cheap old used stopgap one in. I am running a load now, seems to work fine! It smells of scented detergent, which I hate, so will do several bleach loads first.
Tomorrow is make Christmas cookie dough day. My kids have been pestering me for years to start making cookies again!

Neil prints out these annual engagement diary/calendar sheets every year. Big enough for me to be able to see from a reasonable distance (for dates) and with enough space to write in appointments etc. I have a cubby hole with the calendars from years back - looks like a Greek library full of scrolls. The A3 paper they are printed on is just the right size for the door of the kitchen fridge.

calendar.JPG

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 thanks ? for the bread link I will explore their products - ordered some things already. I have this feeling of "it is the hope that kills" but had just "saved" mucho money on Lyle and Scott golf sweaters with 3 months interest free so effectively a free hit and still some left over:woot: The ingredients list looks exactly like I would try to use. Bit of a pity they are in Wales but sometimes one must take the hit. @zauberflote yes, there really is that which I can’t generally abide in them. @MrsA2 I too have invested time and effort in perfect cocoa the way I like it. Mine involves 2 types of "mylk" heater/frothers, cream (some days). lots of sweetener and a microwave to make it hot enough - boiling water makes it a little "thin" - like Beaujolais Nouveau is to real wine. @Mrs T 123 sorry to add salt to the wound of no replacement rolls. My first time ever in an optician was on Monday. Apparently all fine but I could do with readers better than a Poundland pair for an optimal experience. Ordered some so we'll see:angelic: Despite having moved a small library I rarely read actual books except maybe to revisited some now and again. Pip Pip old Toots.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guys and girls, I know I whitter on and bore everyone to death about some of the gadgets I have, but hey ho. I have no relationships with any of the products or suppliers so maybe that gets me out of gaol.

Anyway, anyway, for Black Friday, Cream Supplies is doing the fabulous Soda Splash with about 25% off: https://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/soda-splash-carbonator-infuser

As well as making carbonated drinks - soda water, fizzy Chablis, fizzy red wine or whatever, I also use of for fast infusions - erm,..... quite often involving alcohol. [cough]

The flask itself is also a double layer stainless flask and comes with a screw stopper as well as the clever charging stopper, so it can be used to keep whatever you've made fizzy or just cold/hot.

Great bit of kit. I will be infusing later. The cranberry vodka was delightful. I'm just deciding which combos to try next.

The beauty is I can test out small quantities and if it tastes gopping, I don't have much to fob off on the unsuspecting. ;)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@shelley262 thanks ? for the bread link I will explore their products - ordered some things already. I have this feeling of "it is the hope that kills" but felt pleased but had just "saved" mucho money on Lyle and Scott golf sweaters with 3 months interest free so effectively a free hit and still some left over:woot: The ingredients list looks exactly like I would try to use. Bit of an pity they are in Wales but sometimes one must take the hit. @zauberflote yes, there really is that which I can’t generally abide in them. @MrsA2 I too have invested time and effort in perfect cocoa the way I like it. Mine involves 2 types of milk heater/frothers and a microwave. @Mrs T 123 sorry to add salt to the wound of no replacement rolls. My first time ever in an optician was on Monday. Apparently all fine but I could do with readers better than a Poundland pair. Despite having moved a small library I rarely read actual books except maybe to revisited some now and again. Pip Pip old Toots.

My favourite chocolate drink is just cocoa powder mixed with a little cold water to prevent lumps and then hot water on top. Often suits better than any kind of tea and always better than coffee.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My favourite chocolate drink is just cocoa powder mixed with a little cold water to prevent lumps and then hot water on top. Often suits better than any kind of tea and always better than coffee.
I didn't know anything could do that:angelic:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys and girls, I know I whitter on and bore everyone to death about some of the gadgets I have, but hey ho. I have no relationships with any of the products or suppliers so maybe that gets me out of gaol.

Anyway, anyway, for Black Friday, Cream Supplies is doing the fabulous Soda Splash with about 25% off: https://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/soda-splash-carbonator-infuser

As well as making carbonated drinks - soda water, fizzy Chablis, fizzy red wine or whatever, I also use of for fast infusions - erm,..... quite often involving alcohol. [cough]

The flask itself is also a double layer stainless flask and comes with a screw stopper as well as the clever charging stopper, so it can be used to keep whatever you've made fizzy or just cold/hot.

Great bit of kit. I will be infusing later. The cranberry vodka was delightful. I'm just deciding which combos to try next.

The beauty is I can test out small quantities and if it tastes gopping, I don't have much to fob off on the unsuspecting. ;)

Now beginning to have issues with delivery of CO2 cartridges to the Island. Struggled to find a supplier of my last order but finally found some on Amazon - much more expensive than they used to be. Most suppliers just can't be bothered with finding a courier who will bring them to the Island - local ones would, mainland ones, generally, can't be bothered. Royal Mail won't carry them - except possibly the more expensive Parcel Force - because mail comes in by plane and CO2 cartridges are not allowed on the plane. We never used to have these problems but as regulations tighten up (probably health and safety), we seem to have more and more problems with supplies.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now beginning to have issues with delivery of CO2 cartridges to the Island. Struggled to find a supplier of my last order but finally found some on Amazon - much more expensive than they used to be. Most suppliers just can't be bothered with finding a courier who will bring them to the Island - local ones would, mainland ones, generally, can't be bothered. Royal Mail won't carry them - except possibly the more expensive Parcel Force - because mail comes in by plane and CO2 cartridges are not allowed on the plane. We never used to have these problems but as regulations tighten up (probably health and safety), we seem to have more and more problems with supplies.

All CreamSupplies state on their website is they don't do free delivery to outliers:

upload_2020-11-27_10-41-33.png

upload_2020-11-27_10-42-17.png

Could be worth a quick call:

upload_2020-11-27_10-42-58.png

Of course, I don't have the geographical challenges you do, but I found this outfit very easy indeed to deal with.

https://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/delivery-information-policy

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
All CreamSupplies state on their website is they don't do free delivery to outliers:

View attachment 45747

View attachment 45748

Could be worth a quick call:

View attachment 45749

Of course, I don't have the geographical challenges you do, but I found this outfit very easy indeed to deal with.

https://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/delivery-information-policy

Well - they've accepted the order - quite expensive carriage, but we'll see how it goes. Works out about the same price as Amazon, but possibly more reliable.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 thanks ? for the bread link I will explore their products - ordered some things already. I have this feeling of "it is the hope that kills" but felt pleased but had just "saved" mucho money on Lyle and Scott golf sweaters with 3 months interest free so effectively a free hit and still some left over:woot: The ingredients list looks exactly like I would try to use. Bit of an pity they are in Wales but sometimes one must take the hit. @zauberflote yes, there really is that which I can’t generally abide in them. @MrsA2 I too have invested time and effort in perfect cocoa the way I like it. Mine involves 2 types of milk heater/frothers and a microwave. @Mrs T 123 sorry to add salt to the wound of no replacement rolls. My first time ever in an optician was on Monday. Apparently all fine but I could do with readers better than a Poundland pair. Despite having moved a small library I rarely read actual books except maybe to revisited some now and again. Pip Pip old Toots.
I am just glad that you have received yours - they should have been nice and fresh this time when they arrived - enjoy! I checked on post office tracking which has now been updated to say I should receive them tomorrow - I don't expect they will be that fresh so I will be giving them a full inspection and probably putting them straight in the freezer as I usually give them about a week in the fridge when they are nice and fresh but I guess they will be past that stage if/when I get them tomorrow.