"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The stars I've made for our village path decorations are finally done. They were actually very easy to make once all the deliveries arrived. Let's hope they withstand the elements.View attachment 45681

I thought of you today, when I passed a drive with a long line of LED stars bordering both sides, as far as I could see (they have a bend in their drive).

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like we will be able to have our usual small family Christmas says she crossing fingers and toes there are usually only five of us in total. Wonder if we will still be in tier one on Thursday? Roll on next Easter hey? My youngest son was planning his wedding for next Spring I’m crossing fingers it may all improve by then. They haven’t yet booked a date as were seeing how it goes after having lots of friends having to have their weddings this year cancelled at last minute. Not an easy time to make plans. I’ve still got money tied up with Cunard as a future cruise credit as they’d only refund 50% in cash when they cancelled and mum was asking if she’d still get her 90th birthday cruise on the Queen Mary but I’m reluctant to rebook at the moment.......

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@OzBlossom what gorgeous cats! I have never liked any Siamese except the old "applehead", but these are positively leonine in features! We had an all-black stray who was built like an applehead, talked like it, and most definitely cussed like a tri-lingual Siamese. She spoke to us her staff (yep!) as though we were the kittens she never had. Do yours do that?
@ianpspurs citrus fiber????? I have to look that up. Story about husband/wife: my mother's mother had never taught her to cook, something about how picky mom's father was. Mom married at 21, never having cooked. My father was an absolute saint. He told her every single thing she cooked for him from day one was delicious, and never stopped telling her. By the time I was old enough to pay attention, she was very comfortable in a kitchen, and taught us girls all she knew. However! She was never more than nearly mediocre (except with pie, where she was brilliant) until late in life as a widow. Happy for your eye appointment, and I imagine your house smelled very "come in from the outside!" And for your good day in general.
@MrsA2 I will be sure to think of all of you day after tomorrow, if all y'all promise to send strong anti-foods-temptation vibes!
@ianpspurs how about a very spicy custard pie with no crust? Actually, my first thought was pot roast but I couldn't say why.
@maglil55 thank you very much (NOT!!) for the earworm This percussion massager looks like my right piriformis would like it when it spasms. The neck might not mind either, and the feet? Ahhhhh! Congrats to your hubby!
@Annb oh my word. What a dental appointment. Yes, the part where I drool as the novocaine wears off is not amusing. I hope the bloody pillow didn't scare you, and am very glad it had stopped bleeding and is recovering well! Hugs for the insulin snafu...
@MrsA2 lovely stars! That was alot of sparklies you glued in place!
@shelley262 what a horrible dilemma with your mum's 90th and the QM. We have to put up or shut up by May for a trans-Atlantic Southhampton-to-Boston via Iceland next August (3rd cruise ever, and longest!). I booked it because my cardiologist told me to! She meant before Mom died, but I wasn't about to do that. But I'll only lose my deposit. So yeah, if Cunard is only refunding half in cash, re-booking becomes even more of a "dice game that got asterisked out" shoot!
Today was "official first socks day"! Mostly because I've been slobbing around in jeans and boat shoes since fall began rather than actually "dressing up". Better for playing on floor anyway.
There is a real advantage to never having colored your hair, and having worn it long, self-trimmed, and gathered up in a bun/twist for decades. Anyway, how do you make white hair blonde, as it was? I'd look mighty odd with dark hair, never having had it lol
Edited because auto-censor is not a gamblin' man....

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy birthday to our resident Masterchef @maglil55. I hope the dental issues aren't proving too painful dental issues @Annb and @MrsA2 . @zauberflote hug for having to wear socks again, I also dread that day every year. No problem here with hair colour or wearing it in a bun. The Good Lord ensured that. Thanks for the idea for spices, unfortunately all my life I have a visceral dislike of custard tart/pie just by sight. I have never tasted one and am determined to keep it that way. A casserole type idea sound like a runner - Ox cheek?. Pot roast is a phrase that always fills me with foreboding so another polite thanks but no thanks. Wednesday is review day chez moi. Assuming any of the tools I use and metrics I take as a guide are valid bg seems fine but weight and resting pulse slightly skewwhiff. I don't think BMI of 22.5/7 (22.2 or lower if no shrinkage) and resting pulse of 62 are bad just not where they can be in the good times. My internal Performance Monitoring system is purely binary - 100% pass else complete fail. I was made without the make allowances module.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy birthday to our resident Masterchef @maglil55. I hope the dental issues aren't proving too painful dental issues @Annb and @MrsA2 . @zauberflote hug for having to wear socks again, I also dread that day every year. No problem here with hair colour or wearing it in a bun. The Good Lord ensured that. Thanks for the idea for spices, unfortunately all my life I have a visceral dislike of custard tart/pie just by sight. I have never tasted one and am determined to keep it that way. A casserole type idea sound like a runner - Ox cheek?. Pot roast is a phrase that always fills me with foreboding so another polite thanks but no thanks. From the prospect of no grandchildren today - COVID test for mum and Rosa last evening (negative) - we now have one all day and 2 more from 3.30. Best job I ever had even if the salary leaves something to be desired. Talking of which, tweaking this woe continues to frustrate me. Aligning all my ambitions is a nightmare. Assuming any of the tools I use and metrics I take as a guide are valid bg seems fine but weight and resting pulse slightly skewwhiff. I don't think BMI of 22.5/7 (22.2 or lower if no shrinkage) and resting pulse of 62 are bad just not where they can be in the good times. My internal Performance Monitoring system is purely binary - 100% pass else complete fail - I'm missing the make allowances module.

Still on the pain relief and antibiotics - probably for the rest of this week, Ian, and my somewhat traumatised jaw is telling me the tooth is still there. But it will improve over the next few days. How I hate taking pills! These new ones (antibiotics) are difficult to swallow and with all the others, I feel as though I am making noises like a baby's rattle.

I have no idea what my BMI is and I suspect I don't want to know. It must be pretty high. Luckily, I am less of a perfectionist than you and just a little improvement is good enough for me. The WOE is frustrating though, I completely agree.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb do you care for yogurt? I have to take 4 gigantic antibiotic pills before every dental encounter, and they taste horrible. I learned years ago to set one at a time in a spoon of yogurt, and swallow without chewing. After they're all down, plenty of water. The yogurt also prevents that feeling of the pill trying to drill its way out of my stomach, and any other digestive side effects these drugs can have.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb do you care for yogurt? I have to take 4 gigantic antibiotic pills before every dental encounter, and they taste horrible. I learned years ago to set one at a time in a spoon of yogurt, and swallow without chewing. After they're all down, plenty of water. The yogurt also prevents that feeling of the pill trying to drill its way out of my stomach, and any other digestive side effects these drugs can have.

Now, there's an interesting thought. I never have tried that. My mother always used to tell me to swallow a small piece of white bread, but that doesn't work for me - everything gets stuck in my throat, even white bread. Such an awkward person I am - I have to tilt my head and lean over to the left side for any pill to go down. I don't think it is my imagination, as one doctor told me years ago. It's real enough and it usually works for moderate sized or absorbtion pills. I will try your idea for these fairly large, and very absorbant antibiotics. Thanks.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Let me know how it goes @Annb ! I HATE large pills that are chalky and stick to your throat. I am used to taking a number of pills all at once (ever since my younger son was 11 and did it the first time he was given a handful of supplements-- I was not going to be outdone by an 11-yr-old!) but the absorbent ones always get stuck sideways! My trick, as was his, is to drink a full glass of water right with the pills-- no stopping. I am a trained flute player with not much gag reflex anyway, and those things certainly work in my favor. Someday I'll tell you about the time I swallowed my thin wedding band..... And golly, white bread is the worst! Very sticky.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Let me know how it goes @Annb ! I HATE large pills that are chalky and stick to your throat. I am used to taking a number of pills all at once (ever since my younger son was 11 and did it the first time he was given a handful of supplements-- I was not going to be outdone by an 11-yr-old!) but the absorbent ones always get stuck sideways! My trick, as was his, is to drink a full glass of water right with the pills-- no stopping. I am a trained flute player with not much gag reflex anyway, and those things certainly work in my favor. Someday I'll tell you about the time I swallowed my thin wedding band..... And golly, white bread is the worst! Very sticky.

Interesting to know how you swallowed a wedding ring. I would definitely choke on that.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote your cruise plans for next year look very exciting - presume you are flying to UK and spending time here or in Europe before your cruise departs from Southampton? The cruise we were booked on for May this year was also due to depart from Southampton but CV19 scotched that!. Mum is 90 just after Christmas this year but we felt it sensible to sail in summer before the actual birthday ! Also she’d have been younger but she still seems keen to go in her 90th year - think there is a European cruise like we were planning in June or September 2021 so must look into it. If we can use our future cruise credit money for the deposit we’d have less to lose if couldn’t go! It’s one of her bucket list wishes to travel on the Queen Mary. Meanwhile hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.
Youngest son has just let me know that he and his partner are going to self isolate for the two weeks before Christmas so that he can spend a day or two with us,his brother, and his Nan especially as she has her 90th to celebrate. We are planning a careful small celebration over Christmas ie just us 5 close family.
Lovely afternoon today very busy in am but then managed to pack a flask and snack and go out for a hike in the wyre forest where we live. About 4kms from our house in the middle of the forest is a wonderful summer house that was built by the Cadbury’s family (chocolate!) from Bourneville in Birmingham. It’s no longer in use by anybody but has a wonderful porch that we have drunk coffee on and admired the wonderful view from it. There are no private property or keep out signs on it btw! We watched the sun start to go down and the moon rising!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs A pot roast is a casserole, just with a whole piece of meat rather than chunks. The veg tend to be cut larger too. Its very tasty.

@shelley262 how thoughtful of your youngest to self isolate for a family Christmas

@zauberflote a cruise dilemma indeed. We had planned to travel a lot this year, and next, but hadn't actually booked anything yet so no deposit losses or worries

Reactions: ianpspurs

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Antje77 melted/molten! My snap first thought is, "melt, melted, has melted", with molten not being related. A bird mo(u)lts, and then it's "molt, molted, has molted". Ooooooo but looky here!
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/molten
From ME, from OE, from "proto-Germanic"!! Means melted. In Dutch, it's "gesmolten", in German "geschmolzen". My word fun for the day. I was really lucky in that the parochial grade school I went to used grammar textbooks which taught alot about where our language comes from. I can separate Greek roots from Latin at 50 paces with 90% accuracy If I were inclined to study more, I'd look at linguistics, or go to seminary and learn Hebrew!
@Annb for years I've taken my wedding band at least partially off to remind myself of whatever needs reminding. That day I took it all the way off, and put it in my little pill cup, to remind me in the midst of huge family gathering to take my pills. Every other time ever, I have tipped the pills into my hand and checked them over in a glance. This ONE time I didn't. Pills in mouth, big gulps of water, wow something must have gone down sideways.... ohhhh noooooooo!!!! You talk about prunes! (To no effect). We were driving home the next day, so I had to steal a banged up old colander from the vacation house to carry into every restroom on the highway! On the third day, at home, it appeared, and my stomach acid had polished it beautifully shiny and bright! It was actually pretty funny the whole time. I still laugh when I think of it!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs A pot roast is a casserole, just with a whole piece of meat rather than chunks. The veg tend to be cut larger too. Its very tasty.

@shelley262 how thoughtful of your youngest to self isolate for a family Christmas

@zauberflote a cruise dilemma indeed. We had planned to travel a lot this year, and next, but hadn't actually booked anything yet so no deposit losses or worries
Thanks for the pot roast reminder. I did know what it was but like the custard tart I hope to go to my grave never having eaten one (again). Someone ruined my life one day by making one. @Mrs T 123, 3 of my rolls are in the freezer and a trial one will be eaten at lunch today. No pressure on those who said they were functional size and taste wise. My return to meat eating and alcohol is confusing. Bg seems ok, resting pulse acceptable, weight meh (BMI 22.5) and sleep seems longer but who knows. Shoulder of lamb today and I will try to have The Food Fairy work some nutmeg and or mace into wilted spinach for me - not the grandchildren. Today's challenge is gravy making in an acceptable viscosity and carbocity without hideous taste or clownshoe ingredients (cream and butter:arghh:) Hugs for all who find lockdown 2 a trial. Personally the less I see of people who aren't my family the happier I am :angelic:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrs T 123

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 melted/molten! My snap first thought is, "melt, melted, has melted", with molten not being related. A bird mo(u)lts, and then it's "molt, molted, has molted". Ooooooo but looky here!
From ME, from OE, from "proto-Germanic"!! Means melted. In Dutch, it's "gesmolten", in German "geschmolzen". My word fun for the day. I was really lucky in that the parochial grade school I went to used grammar textbooks which taught alot about where our language comes from. I can separate Greek roots from Latin at 50 paces with 90% accuracy If I were inclined to study more, I'd look at linguistics, or go to seminary and learn Hebrew!
@Annb for years I've taken my wedding band at least partially off to remind myself of whatever needs reminding. That day I took it all the way off, and put it in my little pill cup, to remind me in the midst of huge family gathering to take my pills. Every other time ever, I have tipped the pills into my hand and checked them over in a glance. This ONE time I didn't. Pills in mouth, big gulps of water, wow something must have gone down sideways.... ohhhh noooooooo!!!! You talk about prunes! (To no effect). We were driving home the next day, so I had to steal a banged up old colander from the vacation house to carry into every restroom on the highway! On the third day, at home, it appeared, and my stomach acid had polished it beautifully shiny and bright! It was actually pretty funny the whole time. I still laugh when I think of it!

I find the sonic cleaner less stressful. ;)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
From ME, from OE, from "proto-Germanic"!! Means melted. In Dutch, it's "gesmolten", in German "geschmolzen". My word fun for the day. I was really lucky in that the parochial grade school I went to used grammar textbooks which taught alot about where our language comes from. I can separate Greek roots from Latin at 50 paces with 90% accuracy
emoji23.png
If I were inclined to study more, I'd look at linguistics, or go to seminary and learn Hebrew!
126868532_3764717646872634_8796644631854687366_o.jpg

:D:D:D

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

The yoghurt with pills worked like a dream. Thank you for that suggestion. I shan't look back now.

Hope the ring incident wasn't too sore. My wedding ring became too small to keep on many years ago when I started this fluid retention thing. So it is still safely tucked away with my engagement ring. I bought myself a new one, but it is now away with the smaller ones - my fingers are far too podgy to wear it. Not going to buy myself another one now.

Neil is interested in linguistics and etymology. It's a family thing, I suppose - words. My mother used to love word games, as do my 2nd son and Em. Neil, on the other hand has gone into it much more deeply and I have dabbled. We have some very interesting chats about the origin of words and the connections between languages and how they have spread from place to place. I still remember the pleasure that I had, when in primary school, learning and using new words. I distinctly remember, aged about 7, learning the word "satisfactory" and realising its connection to words like "satisfy", "factory" and "sated". I wasn't clear on how the connections came about, but I could see that they were there. I used the word whenever I could.

Not sure how much the language has changed between here and there, but to me molten is still hot and runny (as of lava, but not necessarily as hot as all that), melted is the hardened state after being molten. Of course, that is the adjective; the verb is melt, melted.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh Antje77, that is so like me!
That's me too!
With the both of you, @zauberflote , myself, and some other members having tendencies to be nerds when it comes to language, do we know if there has ever been a study on the correlation between having a language 'thing' and diabetes? Are we* more susceptible**?
Would doing a study on this be worthy of an Ig Nobel Prize?

So many questions!

*) wannabe linguists or diabetics
**) to diabetes or having a language 'thing'

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With the both of you, @zauberflote , myself, and some other members having tendencies to be nerds when it comes to language, do we know if there has ever been a study on the correlation between having a language 'thing' and diabetes? Are we* more susceptible**?
Would doing a study on this be worthy of an Ig Nobel Prize?

So many questions!

*) wannabe linguists or diabetics
**) to diabetes or having a language 'thing'
or is it because we are mostly of an age to have received an education that included linguistic teaching in the form of Latin/Greek/grammar/punctuation or were brought up with books to read instead of tv/pc/screens

(Thats why my typing is so bad, only pen and paper in my day :writer:)