"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too! Had a nice time catching up with my sister,that’s it now though, back to normal:)
Yesterday
B Yog,raspberries,seeds
L Chilli and garlic King prawns,salad,glass of white wine
D Cheese,olives,Olinas crackers
Enjoy the Bank Holiday everyone
I love Olina s low carb seeded crackers and find them cheapest at Waitrose. Annoyed this week though as they were on offer, even cheaper than usual, so of course they were sold out!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love Olina s low carb seeded crackers and find them cheapest at Waitrose. Annoyed this week though as they were on offer, even cheaper than usual, so of course they were sold out!
There must be something amiss with Waitrose's continuous stock-taking system @shelley262. It regularly promotes products with a special offer, then fails to meet the demand.

I suppose the so-called just-in-time marketing hasn't helped.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another day another hotel (we're on a guided tour). This one is a 5 star, stunning setting and very pretentious. But you can hear every noise, every flush and cheapest wine is €15 a small glass!!! So many staff you feel watched every minute. Luckily we are out all day tomorrow so only sleeping here 1 more night before we move on again.
They greeted us with fruit juice, a nice biscuit and then soft drinks which all instantly spiked me
Fingers crossed the breakfast is good

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Alistair has been told that he has to find a way to keep Banksie in so that he can't go wandering around the village on his own. Also when he is out of the garden, he has to be on a lead and MUZZLED. Not sure where they'd can get a muzzle big enough - the dog has a huge head. Until they can find one, there can be no dog walking for him. This for a dog that has never bitten anybody. The only time he has ever taken hold of anyone it was Alistair. Alistair was swimming in the sea and Banksie tried to "rescue" him by holding on to his arm (gently) and trying to tow him back to the shore.

Apparently someone walking on the main road (half a mile away from Banksie's house) complained that they had been attacked and bitten by a big dog and someone immediately said - that'll be Alistair's dog. Turns out that it was a black labrador, but Banksie still was tainted by the accusation. People here just don't like big dogs. Many collies roam around the village without anyone giving them a second glance but collies are often aggressive and do attack sheep and people. Never a complaint made. Alistair has several times been attacked by dogs (being a postie) but there's never any action taken (apparently it's OK for a dog to bite a postie). I don't know what's wrong with people.

The last escape was caused because Em left open a door connecting the rest of the house to the laundry. Banksie went through after she had gone. Then a customer came to the unmanned laundry, opened the door and left again, leaving the door open. Of course the dog took his chance and got out.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast was 3 cold sausages and several cups of tea. I'm giving up making my own sausages - they taste fine but I can't get the texture right and it spoils the eating experience.

2 things to use up in the fridge - a couple of barbecued (but not on a barbecue) chicken drumsticks and some more of the sausage sliced up with some cabbage and in gravy (chicken stock). I've given the rest of this batch of sausages to Alistair for the dogs. They won't mind the texture.

Just had a visit from grand daughter (Em's elder sister) and her 2 daughters. Hard to believe that the youngest is now approaching her 4th birthday and her sister is about to go into Primary 7. Their brother is going into the third year at the Senior school next month! Where did the years go? His mum was telling me that he can no longer wear children's sizes in shoes or clothes and (of course) wants to look as "cool" - if that's the word these days - as his pals. Expensive passtime.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another day another hotel (we're on a guided tour). This one is a 5 star, stunning setting and very pretentious. But you can hear every noise, every flush and cheapest wine is €15 a small glass!!! So many staff you feel watched every minute.
Yes, I know what you mean @MrsA2. You feel watched when, the moment you sit down to dinner, a waiter appears at your side to undo the neatly-folded dinner napkn on your table and place it on your lap. Totally unnecessary, but perhaps some ot their clients like that degree of attentiveness.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alistair has been told that he has to find a way to keep Banksie in so that he can't go wandering around the village on his own. Also when he is out of the garden, he has to be on a lead and MUZZLED. Not sure where they'd can get a muzzle big enough - the dog has a huge head. Until they can find one, there can be no dog walking for him. This for a dog that has never bitten anybody. The only time he has ever taken hold of anyone it was Alistair. Alistair was swimming in the sea and Banksie tried to "rescue" him by holding on to his arm (gently) and trying to tow him back to the shore.

Apparently someone walking on the main road (half a mile away from Banksie's house) complained that they had been attacked and bitten by a big dog and someone immediately said - that'll be Alistair's dog. Turns out that it was a black labrador, but Banksie still was tainted by the accusation. People here just don't like big dogs. Many collies roam around the village without anyone giving them a second glance but collies are often aggressive and do attack sheep and people. Never a complaint made. Alistair has several times been attacked by dogs (being a postie) but there's never any action taken (apparently it's OK for a dog to bite a postie). I don't know what's wrong with people.

The last escape was caused because Em left open a door connecting the rest of the house to the laundry. Banksie went through after she had gone. Then a customer came to the unmanned laundry, opened the door and left again, leaving the door open. Of course the dog took his chance and got out.
Poor old Banksie @Annb. Accused unfairly and in the dog house again.

The publicity surrounding the recent dog attacks, some fatal, by American XL bullies has frightened the general public, many of whom are unsure what the breed actually looks like.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Poor old Banksie @Annb. Accused unfairly and in the dog house again.

The publicity surrounding the recent dog attacks, some fatal, by American XL bullies has frightened the general public, many of whom are unsure what the breed actually looks like.
When we first came to the Island (1974) we were warned by a local crofter that his dog was fierce and liable to kill hens and cats as well as rats and had been known to attack people. He was proud of it but nobody seemed to have complained about that. We were worried for our lovely cat, Jimmy, but he wasn't a cat used to being kept in the house so eventually we let him go out. Everything seemed to be fine until one day, there was a knock at the door and our angry crofter neighbour told us that our cat had blinded his dog! Jimmy was a big, strong farm cat, born to be a rat catcher and when the dog had chased him, Jimmy turned and scratched. Poor dog. He was put down by his owner. But who was to blame for the dog's behaviour? That was all OK though because he was a collie and, supposedly a working sheep dog (that particular crofter didn't have any sheep though and the dog was probably frustrated and bored).

As usual, it probably isn't the fault of the dog but the way the owner has failed to train it. American XL bully/collie/Jack Russell - whatever.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't had breakfast yet but will have some bacon and eggs soon. BG shot up after having a cup of milky coffee so took a dose of insulin to bring it down while I think about eating.

Haddock later - probably baked with some vegetables - maybe some spices but not curried. I really can't abide the thought of fish curry, although I know lots of people love it. Wonder if it would work as a tagine... Worth an experiment.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have got behind with food so won't go into detail.
Suffice to say a large ice cream all to myself didn't cause any spike at all, but 3 small pieces crusty bread to mop up a deliciius olive oil dressing on my salad did, for far too long.
Saw Stromboli erupting last night, as it has done every day for over 20,000 years apparently. Still a splendid thrill, and I've loved travelling around on boats and hydrofoil more than the coach. One more day in the capital tomorrow, then home again.
Not liking the look of the UK forecast :(

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't had breakfast yet but will have some bacon and eggs soon. BG shot up after having a cup of milky coffee so took a dose of insulin to bring it down while I think about eating.

Haddock later - probably baked with some vegetables - maybe some spices but not curried. I really can't abide the thought of fish curry, although I know lots of people love it. Wonder if it would work as a tagine... Worth an experiment.
An experiment not to be repeated. Ate the veg but not the fish. Followed with half a dozen strawberries and some cream.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All shamefully missing on action again!
On Friday I baked very thick cod loin with finely chopped fried mushrooms and half a jar of M&S Collection Mushroom, Mascarpone & Truffle sauce meant for pasta but worked a dream spooned over the fish beforehand. Approx 4g carbs half jar. Pics below.
Served with rice/cauli rice.
Sat usual brekkie slice LC toast, copious tea.
Lunch small plate chopped salad. Tea.
Supper Tandoori King Prawns and cauli bhajee.
Sunday same brekkie.
Small chopped salad again.
Big family bbq, ate way too much meat with griddled asparagus but was delish.
Leftovers today.

Attachments

• IMG_2023.jpeg
    IMG_2023.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2021.jpeg
    IMG_2021.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 30

RosemaryJackson

Good Morning all. MrsA2, that sounded most exciting! @PenguinMum, that sounds delicious. Hearing some of you talk of food from M&S, makes me wish we had one nearby. The one in Boston closed down ages ago. Going out for lunch with my grandson and granddaughter, it's really great to be able to say that. They all lived so far away when they were little so I saw them very infrequently. One GD in America, One in Ireland and a GS in Germany. My daughter's first Christmas in Germany, we went to stay. I made them a Christmas cake and decorated it with sugar-paste holly. After a 20 hour coach trip, not one holly leaf was broken! I was so chuffed. The temperature was -13! Have a great BH everyone. :happy:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Mushroom omelette this morning for breakfast.

2nd meal will be steak with some fried onion and swede chips. One of those plans that are likely to go haywire, but I'll try. Still some strawberries left to finish up before they go mushy so today there will be a dessert (strawberry cream).

Tomorrow I have to go for an ultra sound scan of my liver so can't eat anything after 5 am until I get home again - probably around noon. Shouldn't be a problem, as long as I can have water, I'll get by - I often do, when I don't have to but being forbidden, I'll probably not want to.

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had an interesting stroll through the main Palermo market today. Spotted several vegetables I didn't know, watched octopus being steamed in large vats, also boiled potates being sold hot and trays of ready roasted (but cold) onions and aubergines . Every street corner has fresh orange or lemon juice being squeezed and sold neat or with ice and sugar as a granita

It's been lovely to be somewhere where food isn't seen as bad and indeed is thoroughly enjoyed.

Spent most of the last 2 weeks mulling over the "Mediterranean diet" we keep being told to adopt and how it might fit with low carb/intermittent fasting/tre Breakfast is either none (or just coffee) or pastries or bread, lunch pasta or salad, dinner pasta or another starter followed by fish (only sometimes meat). Vegetables seemed to be served as a dish in their own right, often as starter.

It's the timings that are so different to what I find suits me in the UK. Breakfast is early, by 8, lunch late at 2 and dinner doesn't start until 8 and goes on until 10p.m.
Imho it would be difficult to shorten the "eating window" as the evening meal is the social/family one but I find I was often going to bed hungry and needed breakfast. To skip breakfast regularly I think I'd be hungry as the only way to fill up is with pasta. The fish and meat meals are small portions.

So maybe intermittent fasting would be the best way to cope if here for longer ie eating say 1 day then not all the next, but the eating day would have to have carbs (pasta or rice or bread) as there aren't the opportunities to increase protein much.

I have been indulging in carbs a bit and mainly trying to cope by having eggs, cheese and meat at breakfast, salad at lunch and just a main in the evening. Of course there has been gelati (ice cream) wine and other drinks. This is a holiday!

. My libre tells me I've been 96% in range, my average is 6.5 mmol/L. I did peak at 11.5 after a fresh orange juice (2 and a half oranges) followed less than an hour later by an Aperol spritz ( a rise on top of a rise! Knew I should have had wine instead of the cocktail). My longest peak was after bread (lasted 3 hours) . And yes the 3 days I did have a small pastry at breakfast did result in rises. Whoever invented croissants filled with sweet pistachio cream should be shot ;)

Although this post is about food and bg I would highly recommend Sicily, it has so much to offer. We've done history, geography, botany, volcanoes, swam, got warm, got wet once, people watched and eaten well. Do visit if you can.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening all! I've been indulging in carbs too @MrsA2 but I don't really have an excuse! I have kept it fairly sensible in terms of amounts and tonight actually chose a keto meal of beef mince, cauliflower and cheese. My weight has stayed the same through this month, no gains, which is a win when I'm not properly excluding carbs.

I think part of the reason I've been able to keep amounts low is that I've had another "cold" - tickly cough (more like a pin being stuck in my tonsil!!) then feeling a bit nauseous, chills and headeache, sneezing etc. I'm a bit better this afternoon, it wasn't particularly serious but affected my appetite. Strangely my BG was up before the symptoms started, and low when the symptoms were bad last night and this morning.

The sun came out this afternoon and I headed to an unruly bit of bramble (I do leave plenty uncut for wildlife but this bit needs trimming to allow other plants to flourish) with my secateurs - garden bin day tomorrow - and before I could make the first snip the rain came bucketing down! :banghead:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Mushroom omelette this morning for breakfast.

2nd meal will be steak with some fried onion and swede chips. One of those plans that are likely to go haywire, but I'll try. Still some strawberries left to finish up before they go mushy so today there will be a dessert (strawberry cream).

Tomorrow I have to go for an ultra sound scan of my liver so can't eat anything after 5 am until I get home again - probably around noon. Shouldn't be a problem, as long as I can have water, I'll get by - I often do, when I don't have to but being forbidden, I'll probably not want to.
When I managed to get out to the big fridge (squeezing past a workbench and sharp tools on the way - a bit difficult for me to do on my unsteady legs) I found that the steak was well within date, but there was salmon which is on its use-by date today, so 2nd meal will be salmon, quick fried with some kind of salad.

Neil is just back from helping a young friend tune an old piano that he had bought. It needs a few bits and pieces to get it working properly apparently, but it can be played now. My young friend is a music teacher but he hasn't been able to have a piano of his own since he and his siblings, when they were small, ruined the one his parents had. He bought this one in a charity shop because it had "history". It had once belonged to (Major) Duncan Morrison - a well known and respected pianist from a couple of generations back (favourite and friend of Queen Mother and world renowned) and has been a good piano, Maybe it will be again with some TLC.