"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Spent some time this afternoon chopping up various fruits to make mixtures for fruit drinks/slushies for Em and got them into the freezer along with 8 fruit lollies made with some more fruits and some yoghurt. There was a little left over after filling the moulds, so I had to finish it off. Didn't put my BG up.

Em popped in to tell me that she has, finally, learned to ride a bike and, as a result was being given the one that her mum and dad had bought for her and stored away here. Unfortunately, when she tried it, she decided that it was too big and the reach for the pedals was too much. So she's going back to her old one with the saddle at its highest. And the new bike is back in my store in the garden (an old back end from a British Telecom truck - totally waterproof and very handy). The way she's growing, it won't be too big by the end of the summer.

Edited to complete the parenthesis, which I forgot.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s good to know, I might have a browse later on. I’ve been very restrained recently in the jumper buying dept.
I forgot to mention to you that I bought the book The Wonder to read with my granddaughters after your recommendation a while back. Youngest daughter spotted it while visiting however and asked to borrow it. She said it was brilliant, but I haven’t got it back yet. I’ll have to start nagging.
It is a really wonderful book. The movie was reasonably true to the book but the boys really took to the message.

Reactions: Barbara93 and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 & @Annb - if you require me to "survey" the goods at my open EWM shop let me know. I am always happy to go see (although I may not get in and out without buying things!).

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
After my cleaner left, I was just having the cup of tea I'd promised myself when the door went again and it was a friend I haven't seen since March 2020 with an acquaintance I last saw long before that. The acquaintance is a young Syrian woman who my friend is teaching to drive so they drove to here for a visit. Not sure whether that is allowed now - I've lost track of the regulations. Had them in for a cup of tea anyway. We were having a discussion about the keto diet which the young woman has been doing (just because she wants to - no medical reason and certainly no weight reason) when my low glucose alarm went off! Grabbed a banana and had that to get the level back up. It was enough and my BG has settled around 4.5 in the last couple of hours. But now I have indigestion and have an unpleasant sweet taste in my mouth. Also very tired and wobbly on my legs. Going to lay on my bed for a bit.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess "What has your goat eaten today" would be off topic on the main thread, so I thought to inform you here :)

It's my neighbour's birthday, so I'll be off to the other side of the road in a minute to have a campfire, a barbecue, and likely get rather drunk on his whisky. :) (I'll inform you of my regrets tomorrow.)

It's his last birthday party in his old garden, as he's in the process of moving to a trailer in my garden.
A friend of his hid some presents in the trailer because she couldn't make it to the party. So when he came over to search for his presents I greeted him in the garden with birthday songs and presents as well, to the utter delight of the goats, who turned out to absolutely love to eat gift wrapping paper! :hilarious:
Weirdest pets I've ever had!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 & @Annb - if you require me to "survey" the goods at my open EWM shop let me know. I am always happy to go see (although I may not get in and out without buying things!).

Haha thank you very much, that’s a great offer - someone to do the ‘does it feel nice, or itchy’ test

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess "What has your goat eaten today" would be off topic on the main thread, so I thought to inform you here :)

It's my neighbour's birthday, so I'll be off to the other side of the road in a minute to have a campfire, a barbecue, and likely get rather drunk on his whisky. :) (I'll inform you of my regrets tomorrow.)

It's his last birthday party in his old garden, as he's in the process of moving to a trailer in my garden.
A friend of his hid some presents in the trailer because she couldn't make it to the party. So when he came over to search for his presents I greeted him in the garden with birthday songs and presents as well, to the utter delight of the goats, who turned out to absolutely love to eat gift wrapping paper! :hilarious:

That’s a great thread title! I could join in with what Dennis has eaten today ( variously, tv remote, my book, my glasses, several cushions, the stairs...)he could be an honorary goat as he loves jumping on top of things.

I’m still laughing at you getting excited at @Rachox offer of a swim and crispy duck. It reminded me I once sent a text to a girl at work suggesting she buy grandad a pair of gloves for Christmas. She texted back thanking me for the suggestion but informing me that her grandad had died 10 yrs ago.
My brother, who was a teacher, once sent a text to the school janitor saying he’d ‘ just bought lots of lovely cheese!’

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

My father used to smoke a pipe and there was nothing that our goats liked better than to try to get the burning pipe out of his mouth! They also liked to snack on the tail feathers of any chicken foolish enough to sit on the door to their "stables". Our goats were, mostly, British Saanen and as such were pretty tall, especially the billy.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Bit of a ramble here.
During several very hectic days, we are now installed in our upstairs bedroom and Mr4Slim has already removed a wall and a false ceiling from the divided up ground floor room we had been using. This was surprisingly easy, but very messy, as you can imagine. The hammer that fell from the ceiling was a surprise too. Landing fortunately at MrSlims feet. (What is the emergency number again?)
Was progressing really well with my daily jobs list until MrSlim added an urgent job. Disassemble and sort by size the pieces of tongue and groove that had been a ceiling, discard all the damaged ones, bundle and stack in the barn. Don't forget to remove all the nails. :confused:
Nearly three hours later I started touching up the damage done to the stairwell. That bed is never coming down again.
Errant has started exploring his new capabilities. Its so good to see him moving with confidence. Obviously some of his injuries have healed. He no longer limps, can run short distances and occasionally jumps. Losing weight will help with this too.
His confidence is so high that recently he attempted to drive out of our garden a neighbours dog that had wandered in.
The dog is a husky about five months old and approximately five times Errants weight. However the dog, who clearly wanted to play, didn't recognise the warning and had to be forcibly removed by his owner - who did understand cat language and recognised a real threat.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

That’s a great thread title! I could join in with what Dennis has eaten today ( variously, tv remote, my book, my glasses, several cushions, the stairs...)he could be an honorary goat as he loves jumping on top of things.
My father used to smoke a pipe and there was nothing that our goats liked better than to try to get the burning pipe out of his mouth!
Back home, 4:20 AM, and you've put me in danger of losing my credibility as a serious mod by challenging me to start a ridiculous thread on what our pets have eaten today, knowing fully well I'd check back in after too many whiskys!

It's so hard to resist the urge!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back home, 4:20 AM, and you've put me in danger of losing my credibility as a serious mod by challenging me to start a ridiculous thread on what our pets have eaten today, knowing fully well I'd check back in after too many whiskys!

It's so hard to resist the urge!

I think you’re on a winner. @SlimLizzy always posts her cat Errant’s weight on the Friday weigh in thread and I really enjoy reading his progress!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I’m still laughing at you getting excited at @Rachox offer of a swim and crispy duck. It reminded me I once sent a text to a girl at work suggesting she buy grandad a pair of gloves for Christmas. She texted back thanking me for the suggestion but informing me that her grandad had died 10 yrs ago.
My brother, who was a teacher, once sent a text to the school janitor saying he’d ‘ just bought lots of lovely cheese!’
My son sent me a text that read "Love you babe xx" - meant for DIL. I thanked him for the sentiment!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Trying a new product for my legs - "Doublebase". The pharmacist says that there's nothing he can recommend to replace the zeroderm/diprobase/E45 that I have been trying to ease the soreness in my varicose eczema and it's just a matter of trial and error. So we'll see how this one goes. When we got home, Neil suggested trying witch hazel liquid first (he had some in his cupboard) to see if that would help. So I put that on this afternoon. We'll give it a few days and see what happens.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Witch hazel stings a little bit when it goes on, but it does seem to stop the burning sensation. It may, however, dry the skin too much, but we'll see.

Spent much of the day asleep - after another bad night. Feeling embarrassed about the lazy day when I do have a fair amount to do. I was putting it off until tomorrow, but now a friend has called and asked me to go out with her and her son - just out of his quarantine period after returning from Laos. (He'd spent the quarantine period in Glasgow but now has come home). So, I shan't get everything done tomorrow either. And I'm a bit wary about going out with other people.

Does anyone know about fig trees? I bought a small plant to plant out in a container. It was said to be hardy and suitable for a container. But the leaves, which were doing well, developed brown spots and then fell off. I don't know if it is under attack from something, or if it really isn't hardy enough for our conditions.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Witch hazel stings a little bit when it goes on, but it does seem to stop the burning sensation. It may, however, dry the skin too much, but we'll see.

Spent much of the day asleep - after another bad night. Feeling embarrassed about the lazy day when I do have a fair amount to do. I was putting it off until tomorrow, but now a friend has called and asked me to go out with her and her son - just out of his quarantine period after returning from Laos. (He'd spent the quarantine period in Glasgow but now has come home). So, I shan't get everything done tomorrow either. And I'm a bit wary about going out with other people.

Does anyone know about fig trees? I bought a small plant to plant out in a container. It was said to be hardy and suitable for a container. But the leaves, which were doing well, developed brown spots and then fell off. I don't know if it is under attack from something, or if it really isn't hardy enough for our conditions.
After another bad night, of course you didn't feel like doing much. That's tiredness, not laziness. Hope you get a good night's sleep tonight.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think you’re on a winner. @SlimLizzy always posts her cat Errant’s weight on the Friday weigh in thread and I really enjoy reading his progress!
Do also post my own weight.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do also post my own weight.
But I loved hearing you post Errant's weight as well!
It's not a thread I follow, not owning scales and knowing I'm overweight without them anyway.
But hearing about Errant made me very happy!

Reactions: Annb and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
After another bad night, of course you didn't feel like doing much. That's tiredness, not laziness. Hope you get a good night's sleep tonight.

Thanks for your good wishes. Actually, these days, I think I've done pretty well if I can stay in bed for 4 hours, so I should be used to being tired. I usually start going to bed about 12.30 and, finally, get into bed about 1 am or a bit later. Then I wake at about 2.30, take my thyroxine pills, and turn onto the side that aches least and doze off again until about 4 or 4.30. And that's it. No point trying any longer in any position in bed so it's the big kitchen chair for me and the early morning TV programmes. Surprisingly interesting sometimes (Diners, Drive ins and Dives, if it is before 3 am, or Animal Cops after 3 am, are favourites).

Reactions: SlimLizzy

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My friend's son, who has recently returned from Laos, was telling us about his experiences coming home. He had to go through 5 international airports to get to Britain and, at 4 of them the restrictions and checks were stringent. The only one that didn't seem to be aware of Covid restrictions was Manchester. Nobody checked any of his paperwork, or whether he was self isolating. Passengers were free to mix within the airport. People were not wearing masks or making much effort at social distancing. He was shocked!

Then to add to his disappointment, he has found it difficult to get vaccinated before he leaves again, at the end of the summer, to take up a new post in Rumania. The Western Isles health board simply refuses to give him a jab, because he won't be here long enough to have the second one. So, before he came north he went to a vaccination centre in Glasgow and they were happy to give him the first jab and they will also give him his second one before he leaves. That means he has to travel to Glasgow and back, taking a chance on carrying the virus from an area where it isn't completely controlled to this isolated and vulnerable community. He is not happy.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been shopping and went to the fish shop, which didn't have much that I wanted so I just bought some haddock and some salmon, and the butcher's where I bought some oxtail, some pork loin and some belly pork. Neil went to the supermarket for me - saw some broad beans but he said they were already mouldy, so he left them but he did get some French beans.

When we came home, things went wrong...I'd asked Neil to buy some small cartons of orange juice because opening a litre carton would just be a waste with only a little used out of it before it went off. He came back with "Capri Sun". It did say on it "no added sugar " and "no artifical additives" but didn't say anywhere it could be seen easily that it contains added sweetener - Stevia as it happens. I occasionally have a small amount of orange juice, or lemon juice in a large glass of fizzy water and that's what I poured for myself when we got home. I thought I would just take a sip of the undiluted juice before having the glassful and that's when I knew it had Stevia in it! All poured away now and the remaining seven out of the pack to follow shortly. I had another glass of fizzy water to try to reverse the effects I started feeling immediately. It might have worked - we shall see, so far just nauseous and headache. Then I got out my magnifying glass and found the list of ingredients.