"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I now have some teeth, but it feels really weird, them being plastic! And the plates are so small that I'm concerned that they might fall out and choke me. Swollen gums won't be helping much, I suppose. And they don't look like my teeth, to me. DIL took us back to town and Neil got the car going with the replacement battery. So we headed up to the garage and booked an appointment for next Wednesday to get it looked at - more money to spend on the darned thing - I'm still trying to pay off the overdraft I needed to pay for the last bill!

Then, on top of that, my Libre reader refused to work. Not the end of the world, I know - just an irritant. I'm not used to the terms used with this thing yet. The reader was telling me that there was a sensor error, and I thought that the problem was with the reader, but thinking about it, it must be something wrong with the gadget stuck to my arm. I phoned Abbott, which is what the handbook said, hoping for some sort of guidance. The lady on the phone was very pleasant but only said she would send out another sensor and I should return the faulty one. I am only now working out what she was talking about. Pretty thick - that's me!

I'm probably crotchety because I'm hungry and my mouth is too sore to eat. May make myself some milky coffee to fill the gap.

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Em's Mum and Dad are coming up for their 10th wedding anniversary next month and Em wants to make a special dinner for them for the occasion. So she's going to come and prepare it with me the evening before and take it home on the evening. Must check that they don't already have something organised.

She wants to make what she thinks is their favourite meal, that is ham, potatoes and peas with white sauce. I thought she meant some kind of mixture IN white sauce, but it turns out that it is to be just slices of ham served with peas and some potatoes with some white sauce on the side. She wants to make a starter of egg mayo in lettuce cups and a dessert of Eton mess as well as a "Fudge cake" (yet to determine what that is). It's not a sophisticated meal, but she is only 9 (almost). Should be within her capabilities although she might need help with the white sauce.

No doubt we will have to get Neil to do the shopping for it.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally found my meat slicer. I had searched and sorted all the kitchen cupboards. Looked in the hall cupboards and even in the sitting room bookshelves and couldn't think of anywhere else to look. But a final search of my brain (what remains of it) for unlikely but sort of possible places, I found it behind a "confidential" paper rubbish bin in a wooden unit that houses the microwave. Why would I have put it there? No idea. Now it needs a good clean and I'll have to find a more sensible place for it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just heard that my brother has a large (7cm) tumour on his kidney. No idea if it is benign or not. We will have to wait for 2 weeks until he can go in for keyhole surgery to remove the kidney and then see if it is anything to sinister. They can just take the kidney out because (due to medical errors/negligence) that kidney died a few years ago and the remaining one is performing better than most kidneys do. So far, other than being aware of a newly developing weakness (he's coming up on 79) he seems to be pretty fit. He is cheerful about it, but is clearly concerned because he wouldn't tell me about it verbally and relied on an e-mail to let me know. So, I am concerned. Lots of love and prayers going his way at present (even more than normal).

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Em came in yesterday with her mum. She's really stretching now and is going to the mainland next week with her mum to buy new school clothes and, with any luck, she won't have grown out of them before school starts again next month. We measured her height about a fortnight ago and again yesterday - she's grown about 11/4 inches in that time!

I was very happy to hear that, when a boy at school told her she was "weird", her response was, "I probably am, but what I am is ME!" Now there is one confident little girl.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Em came in yesterday with her mum. She's really stretching now and is going to the mainland next week with her mum to buy new school clothes and, with any luck, she won't have grown out of them before school starts again next month. We measured her height about a fortnight ago and again yesterday - she's grown about 11/4 inches in that time!

I was very happy to hear that, when a boy at school told her she was "weird", her response was, "I probably am, but what I am is ME!" Now there is one confident little girl.
Excellent response.

Reactions: Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
We've all done our best to ensure that she understands that there's nothing wrong with being "different", so being described as weird doesn't faze her at all. She does appreciate that, as long as she is confident about herself and what she does, and what she thinks - all's well. She is encouraged to think for herself and not to follow the crowd unless she feels the crowd is right. As a result, she has become very sure of her opinions and of her own value, as well as the value of others. I think her mum and dad have done a pretty good job with her so far. Mind you - it's likely to be a bit difficult when she reaches her teen years.

Reactions: maglil55

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was at the oncology unit yesterday (Tues) getting a iron infusion as my iron count was getting low again. While I was there they supplied a midday snack of a ham and salad roll and a mug of black coffee.

Seeing as I had nothing to do for an hour, I filled the Australian 2021 census form online so that is out of the way for another five years (cheated on the address though) . I also got the covid vax certificate put into the Google Pay app for convenient access instead of going through the Medicare app.

The nursing staff and doctors are very friendly there, they make you feel at ease straight away nearly.

Edit: Typo

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Neil has been trying to reduce the amount of steroid he is taking for his sarcoidosis - under instruction from the consultant. He feels that the reductions, month by month, affect his chest in a bad way, but it seems to him that it is not the actual amount he reduces by, but the proportion. It seems he can get away with .2% reduction, but not a specified amount which comes to .35%, which is what the consultant recommends. Thus, in the last couple of days, his chest has been bothering him again and he is exhausted. He's not going to increase the dose again though but next time, he'll go with his own decision on dosage.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Em and her Mum came back from the mainland on Friday evening and popped in yesterday to bring 2 pineapple plants (decorative, not edible) - one is for my birthday next week (from Em) and the other is for Em herself, but she can't keep it at home in case the dogs or cats knock it over. So it will keep my one company. The mainland trip was for school clothes for Em and her brother (16 now) and Em had to have age 10-11 rather than the 9 that she really is. Maybe it's not an expensive make, of course. Doesn't make sense buying very expensive school clothes since both are growing fast and will grow out of whatever they have quite soon.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Went to have my diabetic retinopathy check and have my eyesight in general tested. No deterioration at all. It seems my distance vision is as near perfect as possible and certainly up to driving and there are no diabetic changes either. Fine, but I still have the problem with my vision blurring briefly when I move my head. It's a question of keeping everything in focus as I move, or as other things move around me. Not an eye problem, apparently. Must be something else - no idea what. Is it something that happens due to diabetes?

Yesterday the 2nd sensor in 2 weeks fell off my arm. If this carries on, I'll have to go back to the lancet. Currently, I have stuck the new one on with micropore tape - just in case.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to have my diabetic retinopathy check and have my eyesight in general tested. No deterioration at all. It seems my distance vision is as near perfect as possible and certainly up to driving and there are no diabetic changes either. Fine, but I still have the problem with my vision blurring briefly when I move my head. It's a question of keeping everything in focus as I move, or as other things move around me. Not an eye problem, apparently. Must be something else - no idea what. Is it something that happens due to diabetes?

Yesterday the 2nd sensor in 2 weeks fell off my arm. If this carries on, I'll have to go back to the lancet. Currently, I have stuck the new one on with micropore tape - just in case.
Remember to contact Abbott to get it replaced. I'm awaiting a replacement for one that stopped working after 5 days.

Good news on the eyes. I'll have to get tested. My eyes got worse when I was Ill for all these weeks last year. Eye Pavilion suggested I wait to see if they improve again. They have a bit but I'm still struggling. Eye Pavilion also suggested I get 2 separate pairs rather than varifocals. It will be a pain but I can't seem too get the position right (unless a change of prescription helps).

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Em's school starts up again tomorrow (P5). She's delighted that she's moving up to the next class. It makes her feel very grown up. Unfortunately, she doesn't sleep well - very much like her uncle Neil (the consultant says that his circadian rhythm is different to most people and that causes him to sleep at all the wrong times). Her parents have been trying to get her to sleep at a reasonable time right through the holiday, but she still wakes up in the middle of the night, or doesn't go to sleep despite being in bed with everything turned off. Then, of course, she's tired the next day which won't help with the inability to focus when in class.

I can't talk, of course; these days I only sleep for about 3 hours a night, and then keep dozing off during the day. I used to drop off to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow and stayed asleep (in the same position) until something, or someone woke me well into the morning. These days, I can't go to bed until about 12.30 or 1 am. I still fall asleep straight away, but I toss and turn and then wake up by about 3.30 or 4 am. Must be old age.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm hoping Em comes in today after her first day at school - I have her dozen cupcakes that she made and didn't get back to finish off. They were chocolate (cocoa) cupcakes and I finished them with chocolate icing (more cocoa) and peanut butter buttons, which came from Amazon some time ago. I think they were actually white chocolate and peanut butter. So I need her to pick them up and take them home. Not that I'm likely to be tempted by them but I don't want them getting stale sitting on the table in their box.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good news on the eyes. I'll have to get tested. My eyes got worse when I was Ill for all these weeks last year. Eye Pavilion suggested I wait to see if they improve again. They have a bit but I'm still struggling. Eye Pavilion also suggested I get 2 separate pairs rather than varifocals. It will be a pain but I can't seem too get the position right (unless a change of prescription helps).

Good news on the eyes, as you say @maglil55, but I still can't see well enough to be confident in my driving. Something to do with the way my eyes focus, or with the muscles around the eyes. The optician seemed quite content that I wouldn't drive because I don't feel safe doing so. Maybe she thinks all old folk should be kept off the road anyway. She could be right. I hope not.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm hoping Em comes in today after her first day at school - I have her dozen cupcakes that she made and didn't get back to finish off. They were chocolate (cocoa) cupcakes and I finished them with chocolate icing (more cocoa) and peanut butter buttons, which came from Amazon some time ago. I think they were actually white chocolate and peanut butter. So I need her to pick them up and take them home. Not that I'm likely to be tempted by them but I don't want them getting stale sitting on the table in their box.
Our lot don't go back until this Wednesday 18th - that's a whole week more.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Em was in today, on her way home. She probably won't come tomorrow but she has to come on Wednesday to make her cake and prep what she can of the meal for her parents' wedding anniversary. Then she has to come back on Thursday to get it all together and take it home. I've found some stainless steel dishes - can't remember what they are called (suitable for holding a half grapefruit) in the back of the cupboard. Haven't used them for years. They'll be suitable for her starter. I have foil trays for transporting the rest. This should avoid accidents. Not sure that the cake will fit into them, but I have plenty of large plastic boxes that will do the job.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yay! I finally found this thread! :) The original ‘what you have eaten’ thread isn’t being well used these days :(
So here’s my menu from today, a bit of a foodie day, went shopping in another city so had lunch out and ate dinner in the evening too :wideyed: Also had a new low carb food stuff arrive today, while I was out!
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch at Nando’s: 4 x boneless chicken thighs, coleslaw and broccoli with Coke Zero.
Mid afternoon at coffee shop: coconut cappuccino and a Fibre one bar.
Dinner: cauliflower cheese and roasted veggies with a slice of bread (yes you heard me right, first bread in around 3 plus years) followed by SF cherry jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.
Website address for bread: https://lowcarbfood.co/

Sorry, edit to add, I should thank @Riva_Roxaban for his help to find this thread

DF963590-F695-4EDF-9112-64F7953DE45C.jpeg

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yay! I finally found this thread! :) The original ‘what you have eaten’ thread isn’t being well used these days :(
So here’s my menu from today, a bit of a foodie day, went shopping in another city so had lunch out and ate dinner in the evening too :wideyed: Also had a new low carb food stuff arrive today, while I was out!
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch at Nando’s: 4 x boneless chicken thighs, coleslaw and broccoli with Coke Zero.
Mid afternoon at coffee shop: coconut cappuccino and a Fibre one bar.
Dinner: cauliflower cheese and roasted veggies with a slice of bread (yes you heard me right, first bread in around 3 plus years) followed by SF cherry jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.
Website address for bread: https://lowcarbfood.co/

Sorry, edit to add, I should thank @Riva_Roxaban for his help to find this thread

View attachment 50845
But this post would be perfectly on topic on the main thread!
Why didn't you tell us there?