"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The original recipe has about 80 grams of carbs total from the flour, which makes 30 puffs. If I use a third I'll have 10 puffs, worth over 25 grams of carbs. And I'm very sure I'll want to eat all 10 of them...
Sounds like a very dangerous recipe
I was going by the carbs printed on the recipe which would be 6... sorry!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The difference between the UK and myself is not so difficult, being only an hour, but with you or my upside-down colleagues my head just doesn't get it!
There's four hours time difference between Queensland and New Zealand.

Oh my!
Made me think of a very funny moment with hot dog balls, will have a think on it tomorrow to find the right words as I don't want to get in trouble with my colleagues. I don't completely trust my judgement at 1:30 am local time...
Hotdog balls at Woolies, you should not get in trouble with the others.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/175494/primo-hot-dog-balls-with-american-mustard

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's the pork belly terrine.
I'm not a fan of offal usually, except shop bought pate, but had bought some chicken livers some time ago and didn't like it 20211031_115851_copy_612x816.jpg 20211031_120029_copy_612x816.jpg so froze the remainder.
Then both the recent liver and pie threads encouraged me to try again and I found a recipe in a slow cooker book.
It's tasty, quite strong and rich but nice. The whole peppercorns add a nice tang.
It's quite economical to make and would give a good 12 portions.
I might try half quantity next time.
Oh, and I decided to line the dish with bacon. Recipe just does the top.

Reactions: Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's the pork belly terrine.
It looks and sounds amazing!
Wondering if I need to buy a food processor now, I think I can get it to work without a slow cooker but it looks like it will be impossible to make without a food processr. :(

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Wondering if I need to buy a food processor now, I think I can get it to work without a slow cooker but it looks like it will be impossible to make without a food processr. :(

Might be the case. When I get around to doing it, I shan't be using a slow cooker but, luckily, I do have a food processor.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Might be the case. When I get around to doing it, I shan't be using a slow cooker but, luckily, I do have a food processor.
A round of googling told me that similar recipes are often made au bain marie in the oven. Haven't found a solution for not having a food processor yet though

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
A round of googling told me that similar recipes are often made au bain marie in the oven. Haven't found a solution for not having a food processor yet though

Yes, I was thinking that would be a good idea. Also thought it would be a good idea to cover the baking tin with foil and then also cover the bain marie with more foil - perhaps perforated a bit.

Reactions: Antje77

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a hand blender? The livers are very soft and so was the pork bellyso quite easy to blitz. Or you could just chop very finely. Might end up with a rougher texture and not quite as distinctive layers but taste would be the same
Yes a long low cook in a bain Marie would work but not sure about timing. At least the slow cooker looks after itself.
Overall it was an interesting experiment, but shop bought pates can be cheap and good too.
I'd had to use an oval dish that fitted in the slow cooker. I'd prefer the look from a rectangular one but none of mine fitted

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have a hand blender? The livers are very soft and so was the pork bellyso quite easy to blitz. Or you could just chop very finely. Might end up with a rougher texture and not quite as distinctive layers but taste would be the same
I have a stick blender, is that what you mean? I don't think it can chop pork belly though.
Cutting it very finely sounds like a lot of work, but possibly worth it, I've been thinking about it off and on all day! :hilarious:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just bid (bade?) 10 euros for this thing someone is selling in the next village. They ask 15, but the ad has been on for over a month and no-one else has reacted.
So chances are I'll find myself the proud victim of my own stingyness in the near future when I try to use it! :hilarious:

250850812_10224545128530040_3820939504025726204_n.jpg

Reactions: Annb

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just bid (bade?) 10 euros for this thing someone is selling in the next village. They ask 15, but the ad has been on for over a month and no-one else has reacted.
So chances are I'll find myself the proud victim of my own stingyness in the near future when I try to use it! :hilarious:

My mum had one of those. Wow that brings back memories

Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow yes that mincer brings back memories for me too - my auntie had one. I think a lot of people did then as nobody had blenders. Looking forward to seeing your creations with it soon @Antje77
@MrsA2 the terrine looks really good. I have the same chopping board as you too - I refer to the conversions on it for one thing or another every day, it’s so useful!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow yes that mincer brings back memories for me too - my auntie had one. I think a lot of people did then as nobody had blenders.
I fear there is a reason no-one uses them anymore...
We'll see!
Looking forward to seeing your creations with it soon @Antje77
And I guess I'll have to up my bid if they don't accept my 10 euros now...

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I have one of these - a bit more modern and a different make. I can't use it because the clamp doesn't expand far enough to go around my worktop. Neil bought me one on Ebay a few months ago for £26 - it just stands on the worktop but the grinder isn't up to much, so it was a waste of money. Trying to figure out a way of sharpening the spiral part to make it cut meat more easily. Husqvarna is a good make so it will probably work better than mine does. The perforated disk looks as though it will produce a very fine mince. Hope it works well for you.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fear there is a reason no-one uses them anymore...
We'll see!
I thought they were scarce as hens teeth here in Australia, as they have not made or sold them for years.

We had one at home when I was a kid, and that was second hand as well. I do not know what happened to that, as they are handy to fully immerse in hot water to wash properly. Try doing that with a electric appliance and see how long it goes for.

I just a quick search for a hand mincer and found this one below for $110.00.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/mondo-hand-mincer-32_p0159666

9fd5bf9ddc0642c4868d6c0b70bb261f

Edit: fix the mincer link.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just a quick search for a hand mincer and found this one below for $110.00.
Wow!
I only searched within 15 km of my home (low population to Dutch standards) and I found 4 or 5,all going for 15 euros.

I could do a search over 150 km, buy them all, sell them on the other side of the world and get rich!

Reactions: Bildad and DJC3