"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Em and her dad met us at the airport yesterday afternoon and, as usual she came running to meet us, as though we'd been away for years. "Are you allright, Grannie?" I assured her I was fine and her mum told her: "Guess what. The doctor told Grannie that she's a fatty lump!" At which Em threw her arms around me in sympathy, objecting that the doctor shouldn't have said any such thing. "You're not a fatty lump, Grannie!" I explained that the doctor had said that the lump that I found was just a "fatty lump" whereupon she threw her arms around me again to comfort me. She's a sweet child.
So pleased to hear that! xx

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@DJC3 how did you find bake off this week? Noticed you were planning to watch. I found this one the most temptation especially the baklava it used to be a favourite used to get really small bits in Waitrose and they were a treat reminded me still I’m sure if I was tempted to taste it would taste too sweet am I convincing myself?
The baklava made me almost happy to have diabetes: glad I have absolutely no reason to try to bake something as complicated that!
Eating baklava is another thing, I'd love to buy some good baklava and dig in :(
I wasn't tempted by anything this week :angelic:
I'd love to make something like those showstoppers one day. Savory pies are definitely not a thing in the Netherlands, and I think they are brilliant.
Seeing as it would be a dish for many, I might make one some day for a special occasion with lots of people. They can enjoy the whole thing and I'll just eat the inside and share the crust with the dogs, and everybody will be happy! :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The baklava made me almost happy to have diabetes: glad I have absolutely no reason to try to bake something as complicated that!
Eating baklava is another thing, I'd love to buy some good baklava and dig in :(

I'd love to make something like those showstoppers one day. Savory pies are definitely not a thing in the Netherlands, and I think they are brilliant.
Seeing as it would be a dish for many, I might make one some day for a special occasion with lots of people. They can enjoy the whole thing and I'll just eat the inside and share the crust with the dogs, and everybody will be happy! :)
Why make when you can buy?
https://christmasfood.marksandspenc...christmas-pudding-pie-serves-6-/p/fdp60531296

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ide, I have my doubts with the one in your picture.
So do I, and not just the cost. It was just for eye candy really. Looks good, but not for lowcarbers.
I've put the recipe for the chorizo choux puffs in my cmt. Works out 3g for sering of a sixth of the recipe, but does use flour but only 110g for the whole recipe

Reactions: Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've put the recipe for the chorizo choux puffs in my cmt. Works out 3g for sering of a sixth of the recipe, but does use flour but only 110g for the whole recipe
I'm off to CMT, see you later! :hungry::hungry::hungry:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They freeze well, and I think I add a little cream cheese, or the garlic and herb one just before serving. They are best served slightly warm
I've found you on cmt (and hit the 'follow' button!) but I can't find the recipe. :(
Can it be you have it set on 'private'?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've found you on cmt (and hit the 'follow' button!) but I can't find the recipe. :(
Can it be you have it set on 'private'?
Sorry. I missed a step. Have now pressed "confirm" on a whole load of recipes!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry. I missed a step. Have now pressed "confirm" on a whole load of recipes!
Found them, and added them to my own cmt as well!
Looks delicious, not too complicated and with common ingredients. :)

I want them, but I guess I'd best make them when there are lots of people to share with.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
We have a problem with the Scenic. I spent £800+ a few weeks ago on it and now the garage tells us that it will fail its MOT without another £1200's worth of work! The car isn't worth even what I've paid out for it in the last 6 months, so I should just give up on it but it is a lovely car and, mostly, in good condition. I can't really afford to get the repairs done, but nor can I afford to buy another car. We were considering just using taxis but I've worked it out that we would be spending at least £80 a week on those (plus any extra journeys required at £40 a time) so I don't think that's viable either. I think we'll shop around and see if any of the other garages will do it for less.

Apparently there are problems with the suspension and the catalytic converter is cracked and needs to be replaced. To be honest, although I know what these things are, the technical talk doesn't mean much to me.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We have a problem with the Scenic. I spent £800+ a few weeks ago on it and now the garage tells us that it will fail its MOT without another £1200's worth of work!
Oh no!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You could do a third of the recipe...
The original recipe has about 80 grams of carbs total from the flour, which makes 30 puffs. If I use a third I'll have 10 puffs, worth over 25 grams of carbs. And I'm very sure I'll want to eat all 10 of them...
Sounds like a very dangerous recipe, I'll have to come up with some trick to want only 2 or 3. My best shot is having friends and lots of other yummy food around, so it looks like it will be either a birthday dish or something to bring to someones party or christmas dinner at my aunt and uncle's :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's 3.20 am and I've been up for about half an hour after a dream in which I was chicken supremes in a plastic box but stored underneath a pile of others in a freezer shelf because I wanted to bid for something at an auction but my attempts were being sabotaged by the others. I did have a friend (another box of chicken supremes) who was trying to extricate me from under the shelf-full of plastic boxes. It was actually my frequent nightmare of being suffocated. Sufficiently upsetting to make me get up. TV on to keep me company - Jo Brand's programme about the bake off - but it is pretty meaningless to me because I don't watch the bake off - don't enjoy competitions in any form, especially not with food as the subject. Never mind, Animal Cops will be on in about 20 minutes.

Still trying to figure out if I can raise £1200 for the car. It would be easier if this wasn't just a few days before No 2 son's birthday and Christmas coming up. Still have my overdraft facility of £800 from the last car bill - just have to make up the other £400 from somewhere.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
No idea how to share this without sounding like I'm bragging, but the happiness is bubbling up and it wants out, so here it is:
My hba1c (first in two years) is 35! :happy::D
That's wonderful

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In our online shopping delivery there was some extra items that we did not order, or were substituted.

Two containers of Hot Dog Balls with dipping sauce, they're like smaller cocktail frankfurtors and just as tasteless except for the American mustard.

We both had a laugh over the name of them.

aNsJLz4.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Those time differences really areconfusing.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2335#post-2454474
Obviously I know it's not the same time everywhere, but it being midnight while talking with someone who feels it's 8am is just hard to grasp!
The difference between the UK and myself is not so difficult, being only an hour, but with you or my upside-down colleagues my head just doesn't get it!
We both had a laugh over the name of them.

aNsJLz4.jpg
Oh my!
Made me think of a very funny moment with hot dog balls, will have a think on it tomorrow to find the right words as I don't want to get in trouble with my colleagues. I don't completely trust my judgement at 1:30 am local time...

Reactions: DJC3