"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Overnight courier just banged on the door with my box of medical dressings I ordered first up yesterday, I said he could have just left them at the door as they always do. He said there was someone hanging around and could be a parcel thief but he was not sure so knocked.

The company Independence Australia, where I buy my stuff from is great for quick deliveries, 24 hour turn around from Yatala south of Brisbane is great in my book. They have kept up a great service all through covid mandates for nearly two years except you cannot pickup in person any more.

One of the sisters in the wound dressing clinic at the base hospital gave me a pamphlet for them years ago as she said they were good.

Reactions: Annb and Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Neil just came back after having his 4th vaccination. He asked why he was to have the 4th one and was told that since his immune system is compromised and he is on steroids, he will have to be vaccinated every three months for the duration of the pandemic. It seems that the protection offered by the vaccine doesn't last long.

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Feeling rather "off" again today. Em has been here most of the day, so I've tried to ignore it but just asked Neil to check my blood pressure - just in case it was too high. My normal BP is something around the 170/75 mark and my pulse is usually around the 80-90 mark. Today it is BP 162/65 and pulse 59-56! No wonder I feel odd! I know that for many people what I have today is their normal, but medics seem to accept my normal as OK for an oldie like me. I quite often get this "collapsible Ann" feeling and I'm wondering whether to reduce my diuretic tablets. Of course, I didn't think about this until just before the New Year holiday when nobody will be around to advise.

Em suggested today that I should use 2 sticks to get around the house, rather than the one I usually use (it's that or a rolling walking frame, which I try not to use). I tried it and it's quite a lot easier (ie I wobble less). Sensible child is our Em - more so than her gran.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We did not see the new year in last night , just had a couple of single malts to kill the bottle between us. I took a extra oxycodone and that and the whisky rocked me off by 9:30 pm.

I can see why I had a low of 3.9 mmol/L before I went to bed, I woke up about 3:00 am to go to the toilet so I had a good sleep.

So here's to 2022 and what ever it brings... Cheers!

39BSZl6.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy New Year to you all. It's just over an hour away now, but I'll be in bed, although I don't suppose I'll be asleep.

Em was expecting to be allowed to stay up tonight to see in the new year and enjoy another of those traditions she is so fond of - She and her mum take a large piece of paper and write 2021 on it and decorate it with great care to make it beautiful and at midnight, they screw it up and throw it on the fire, shouting "Goodbye 2021!"

Being from the south of England, we didn't celebrate New Year at all - other than watching the Scottish new year programme on TV. Tom did - one of the few celebrations his family allowed - but eventually he felt too old to party and just went to bed around 11 pm. Neither of the boys were much into celebrating the event, so it just died a death in this house. Actually, there never was much of the Scottish tradition of going from house to house to wish everyone a happy new year in this village. Now I don't think it happens at all and people go to New Year parties organised in the town. Clearly No 2 son is joining in again, although he won't be drinking - he's teetotal, as is Neil. He'll be the only sensible one left in the house by 1 am, when Em has to go to bed.

Great grand daughter Rue, who is now about a year old, came in for a visit with her "Shen" (grandpa aka No 2 son) and as soon as she saw me she started screaming and nothing could quieten her. She has done that every time she has seen me. Her big brother was exactly the same. I never approach her and I never approached him to avoid frightening them somehow, but they still do/did it. He, thank goodness, has grown out of it. I daresay she will, in a while but meantime she has a really piercing scream and I just had to hustle them out of the house to stop her. Doesn't exactly do much for my self-esteem.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's 3,15 am. Bed rest lasted about an hour before I had to get up again to take pain killers. Been sitting in the big kitchen chair, waiting for it to kick in. Can only see 4 houses in the village (out of about 350) with lights on. Everywhere else is in darkness. No lights showing in the next village either. As I thought - either not celebrating or gone to town. I think I'll go back to bed now and try again to sleep.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy New Year to you all. It's just over an hour away now, but I'll be in bed, although I don't suppose I'll be asleep.

Em was expecting to be allowed to stay up tonight to see in the new year and enjoy another of those traditions she is so fond of - She and her mum take a large piece of paper and write 2021 on it and decorate it with great care to make it beautiful and at midnight, they screw it up and throw it on the fire, shouting "Goodbye 2021!"

Being from the south of England, we didn't celebrate New Year at all - other than watching the Scottish new year programme on TV. Tom did - one of the few celebrations his family allowed - but eventually he felt too old to party and just went to bed around 11 pm. Neither of the boys were much into celebrating the event, so it just died a death in this house. Actually, there never was much of the Scottish tradition of going from house to house to wish everyone a happy new year in this village. Now I don't think it happens at all and people go to New Year parties organised in the town. Clearly No 2 son is joining in again, although he won't be drinking - he's teetotal, as is Neil. He'll be the only sensible one left in the house by 1 am, when Em has to go to bed.

Great grand daughter Rue, who is now about a year old, came in for a visit with her "Shen" (grandpa aka No 2 son) and as soon as she saw me she started screaming and nothing could quieten her. She has done that every time she has seen me. Her big brother was exactly the same. I never approach her and I never approached him to avoid frightening them somehow, but they still do/did it. He, thank goodness, has grown out of it. I daresay she will, in a while but meantime she has a really piercing scream and I just had to hustle them out of the house to stop her. Doesn't exactly do much for my self-esteem.
Reminds me of my niece (the one who lives next door). She used to scream blue murder every time she saw my Mum (her Gran). She was quite a crying baby. She got over it eventually.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's 3,15 am. Bed rest lasted about an hour before I had to get up again to take pain killers. Been sitting in the big kitchen chair, waiting for it to kick in. Can only see 4 houses in the village (out of about 350) with lights on. Everywhere else is in darkness. No lights showing in the next village either. As I thought - either not celebrating or gone to town. I think I'll go back to bed now and try again to sleep.
Quite a lot of people we know headed South after madam cancelling Hogmanay. I was out earlier following Hubby burning my soup and I suspect there may have been a few House parties judging from the amount of alcohol and snacks being purchased. All quiet near us though.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55, that's a very awkward place to have a cut. Even worse if you are left handed. But even if you are right handed, you still need an operational left hand to hold things while you work with your right hand. I wouldn't be surprised if what you had, and thought was just a bad cold, was another variety of covid. I suspect that DIL had the same thing. She was using lateral flow tests at the time, but they are less reliable if you already have symptoms and she tested negative each time.

Neil had a letter inviting him to have a 4th vaccination and was puzzled but he hadn't heard that people with compromised immune systems were being offered a further jab. His appointment is for tomorrow.

11 am. Just had a fried egg and a slice of toast. Trying to get back to a fairly normal pattern of eating. Still feeling very weak and aching. Trying to do some housework today so have so far sorted out my bedroom, done a little bit of washing, cleaned the bathrooms, then collapsed into a chair. That's about my lot today. I'm expecting my cleaner to come to do my floors today - that's always an impetus to do a little bit myself. That's because I'm still embarrassed at not being able to do my own floors and needing help.

Ann, I did a shift at our local Vaccine Hub last week.

Over the course of the afternoon, there was much chit-chat about lateral flow tests, or more accurately, the rarity of them at present. It seems some folks were having to split their packs with friends/neighbours.

A Doc pipped in that in individuals who had had their vaccines (generally, more than one dose), LFTs weren't worth the plastic they're made of.

There are so, SO many negative LFT where subsequent PCRs return a positive result.

I didn't ask the Doc for his source of such statement, but observationally, I could believe it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ann, as a small baby, I wasn't very happy with my Dad, but I loved my Uncle Derek, who was my godfather.

Fickle? Moi?

You bet your life I am. :hilarious:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First for the year.

Cat 1 Tropical Cyclone Seth, sneaking past Bundaberg on it's way south to form back inot a depression.

LBJo0jy.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday was very windy here - up to 80 mph from the south east. This island has a causeway to what is really a peninsula but the land is very low and used to flood at high tide, so a causeway was built many years ago now which is about 20 feet above sea level at high tide. Yesterday it had to be closed, marooning quite a few people on the town side because the wind built up the sea level and the sea was dumping debris with each wave, over the roadway. It is still a bit windy out there, but nowhere near as bad. Yesterday was dry but it's raining right now.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had word that my (elderly) sister-in-law died this morning. She had been very frail and, after a fall, she was taken into the local hospital in Ayrshire but was not able to be released to home because it was considered that her 60 year old son couldn't adequately care for her. A week and a half ago, she was moved to a local care home where she caught covid 19! I don't suppose she would have lasted much longer anyway in the state that she was in but it was a sad end for her and distressing for her son and daughter.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First for the year.

Cat 1 Tropical Cyclone Seth, sneaking past Bundaberg on it's way south to form back inot a depression.

LBJo0jy.jpg
We tended to travel to Australia in January. The cyclones often made for a bumpy ride over Australia.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had word that my (elderly) sister-in-law died this morning. She had been very frail and, after a fall, she was taken into the local hospital in Ayrshire but was not able to be released to home because it was considered that her 60 year old son couldn't adequately care for her. A week and a half ago, she was moved to a local care home where she caught covid 19! I don't suppose she would have lasted much longer anyway in the state that she was in but it was a sad end for her and distressing for her son and daughter.
So sorry to read that @Annb. One of my friends that works in one of the hospitals here said that delayed discharges are one of their biggest issues so I was surprised that your SIL was discharged into a care home. It is so difficult too with the restrictions imposed on visiting whether in hospital or a care facility. That was the main reason we kept my brother at home rather than the hospice. Hugs

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Going to Australia, we were always on a ship and, it seems, not in the cyclone season but between Indonesia and the sea south of Australia meant we got into some pretty rough winds, especially where we clipped the edge of the "Roaring Forties". (We sailed from an Indonesian port to Sydney - so all the way round the south of Australia.) I never did get seas sick, but that was one place where I would eventually just want to get off. Not practical in the middle of the ocean! For several nights, the only way we could get any sleep was to take the mattress off the bed and put it on the floor so that we were rolling head to toe rather than side to side (and falling out of the bunk). We were on a tanker, doing those journeys - not big by today's standards, but in the 60's it was considered to be big.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry to read that @Annb. One of my friends that works in one of the hospitals here said that delayed discharges are one of their biggest issues so I was surprised that your SIL was discharged into a care home. It is so difficult too with the restrictions imposed on visiting whether in hospital or a care facility. That was the main reason we kept my brother at home rather than the hospice. Hugs

My nephew wanted to get his mother home from the hospital. He thought that, with some support, he could have cared for her but the hospital and social workers disagreed. He knew that she was near the end, but he thought she would be more comfortable at home with him for however long she survived. For a while she was blocking a bed unnecessarily but about a week and a half ago, presumably someone died and there was a place available at the care home. Don't know how that person died, but poor Nan had to suffer the distress of breathing difficulties before dying, which would probably not have happened at home.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The cyclones often made for a bumpy ride over Australia.
Bit of a bumpy ride battening down the hatches and sitting them out as well, we have been through a couple here over the years. Last one we evacuated to Biggenden on the other side of the range, it did a fair bit of damage for a cat 2 to our place lost the roof, and lost two coconut palms.

TC Seth has now formed into a rain depression.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of a bumpy ride battening down the hatches and sitting them out as well, we have been through a couple here over the years. Last one we evacuated to Biggenden on the other side of the range, it did a fair bit of damage for a cat 2 to our place lost the roof, and lost two coconut palms.

TC Seth has now formed into a rain depression.
Hope you stay safe