"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Up at 3 am today - couldn't get comfortable in bed, so up, co-codamol and tea and doze in the big chair again. Didn't check BG at that time. When I did, at 5 am it was 14.7. Great. Also feeling nauseous again - didn't wait to put anything inside me for that. Tea didn't help.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry that your family is suffering from ill-health - nothing serious or long term, I hope. Poor MIL as well. I can quite see how upsetting it must be for her. They are all lucky to have you and Julie to help out, Stay strong.
Thanks @Annb and also @zauberflote and @Mrs T 123 . Yesterday was surely only what families are for but it did make me feel better about two things which really chafe somewhat. I don't like being in this house or area one bit and I gain minimal pleasure form this woe. However, they enabled us to quickly help son and DIL and my D doesn't seem to be progressing so that I need the care. MIL currently independent but moving closer will allow Julie and boys to keep an eye on her and see more of the babes. Very sub-optimal for me in two areas but obviously a bigger plan is at work Son and DIL now feeling much better. Rosa finally had enough of Tuesday at 10.50. Her dad needs to teach her to tell the time

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep we thought he was never going to die - he did live to an old age for a guinea pig. They are lovely wee creatures and so vocal and yes he was spoilt rotten - my hubby used to go to morisons for his carrots as they were his favourites - he liked the crunchy ones from morisons apparently.

That’s really made me laugh! I must tell my daughter to try Morrison’s carrots.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs what a scary day for you all yesterday, I’m glad to read things have calmed down a bit now and you have at least found a couple of positives to offset the suboptimal aspects of your position. I agree, it’s what families are for.
@Annb hugs for yet another broken night and the nausea - it really saps your energy constantly feeling like that. I hope you can rest today.
@SlimLizzy back on the guinea pig chat - I was also amazed at daughter’s cat’s reaction to the GPs. I thought they’d have problems as he is very self sufficient and catches most of his food himself - mice, voles, baby rabbits etc from the surrounding fields. However he just looked at the GPs disdainfully when they arrived and stalked past them in disgust - he’s never tried to bother them. ( our dog Dennis on the other hand is a different matter..)
No keep fit for me this morning - happily rain cancelled play so I’m trying to think of something productive to do rather than sit in front of the fire all day - so tempting.

Reactions: zauberflote

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Constantly getting confused which thread I am posting what on. My bad!
@ianpspurs what a full on day yesterday was but glad you were able to get some circumspect and Rosa finally gave in! You and Julie must be completely worn out today. Glad its better news re son and DIL. Hope they continue to improve.
@Annb sorry about the restless night in the big chair. I hope you improve today and the nausea goes away.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Spoke to the diabetes nurse this afternoon. She's quite happy that my BG stays in the mid teens so doesn't want me to change it. She did say that the diuretics are most likely responsible for the high BGs so I will just have to put up with it. If I stop, or reduce, the diuretics my chest problems and others associated with oedema will just get worse.

Neil heard from his doctor today and was told to stop taking amlodipine, which is causing him to put on a lot of weight (in all the wrong places). His blood pressure has gone down sufficiently - it was put up when he started taking steroids and he doesn't need so much of those now.

What a pair we are.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rosa is back with mum and dad who will take the rest of the week off work. The irony of her dad's work not knowing/telling people someone had COVID is they make some of the tests and have made a great deal of money - he just had a 25% pay rise. @Annb that all sounds very positive.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rosa is back with mum and dad who will take the rest of the week off work. The irony of her dad's work not knowing/telling people someone had COVID is they make some of the tests and have made a great deal of money - he just had a 25% pay rise. @Annb that all sounds very positive.
Thinking of you @ianpspurs - but you’ve clearly been able to offer real help to your family at a time of need. Living at a distance when family members need you is hard - pleased your difficult relocation has it’s compensations.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Annb and also @zauberflote and @Mrs T 123 . Yesterday was surely only what families are for but it did make me feel better about two things which really chafe somewhat. I don't like being in this house or area one bit and I gain minimal pleasure form this woe. However, they enabled us to quickly help son and DIL and my D doesn't seem to be progressing so that I need the care. MIL currently independent but moving closer will allow Julie and boys to keep an eye on her and see more of the babes. Very sub-optimal for me in two areas but obviously a bigger plan is at work Son and DIL now feeling much better. Rosa finally had enough of Tuesday at 10.50. Her dad needs to teach her to tell the time
Glad son & DIL feeling better - hopefully they are on the mend - fingers crossed

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@zauberflote Son1 made cauliflower cakes for me the first night. Home made bread was treat for MrSlim, who needs it(and all the other white carbs, because of a more serious medical condition than my prediabetes ) Did have some of the bread, but it actually smelt better than it tasted, so no temptation tohave a third bite.
@MrsA2 had camping trips with fully loaded cars as a child, those sleeping bags were slippy, so all the children slid from one side of the car to the other on corners. We all thought it great fun at the time.
@Annb agree swimming alone in the sea is not a good idea, and very cold, yesterday saw two hardy souls swimming in the river here. Just looking at them made me feel cold. Although there was a time when i would have joined them in my underwear for an impromtu dip. Always preferred swimming outdoors to swimming pools.
@ianpspurs hope your son and wife recover soon. seems too little, but what else is there to say?

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb hugs for your bad night and sore innards.
@ianpspurs so glad son&DIL are feeling better. Rosa will probably have a dim but deep memory of "gran and gramps let me stay up All Night!" I have memories from that age so not impossible. And you know? I wouldn't want to make a move like you have either. I have learned the hard way that a two-year depression can follow a move of only 100 miles. We are hugely fortunate and thankful that our kids show no signs of leaving. I believe that is a first-in-generations on my side of the family!
My front and back yards are swarming with tree guys, and between the chipper and the chain saws it's hard to think! But think I must, because my 20-yr-old Maytag washer spectacularly died last week, and the repair cost may not be worth it. Compare and contrast "what they won't ever make again" with "this might be the nowadays-best for having control over your machine but Old Maytag it's not, so get used to it". No-win situation.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Felt a bit of an idiot today.
I have resolved not to eat chocolate or anything with sweeteners or drink alcohol for a week to see if my headaches stop, so went for a walk with a friend to get some fresh air but was so busy watching where I was putting my feet so as not to slip in the mud that I walked straight into an overhanging branch and nearly knocked my self out. :banghead:
Have had a corker of a headache since, so might have well had the chocolate and wine after all ! :joyful:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
11.40 pm. Just about to head off to bed but the laptop is still on, so just another word to my friends here.

Had the rest of my stew rolled up in a wrap for my evening meal. Probably shouldn't have had the wrap, but I felt the need.

Baked a load of cupcakes for Em - just in case she was allowed to take them to school. She wasn't, so I now have 30+ cupcakes to find a home for. I checked the freezers and I don't think there's a single inch to spare in either of them.

DIL came in to pick Em up about 6.30 and was telling me that the 2nd hand sewing machine she had bought on ebay for Em's Christmas present arrived, but doesn't work. It would cost the same as the price of the machine (about £50) to get it repaired. She contacted ebay and the seller but the seller denies that there was anything wrong with it when he sent it and ebay told her to try to resolve it with the seller or get back to them after Christmas!

Em obviously knew the story and was listening in but said, "Not to worry, Mum, I'm sure I'll be getting plenty of other presents." She is such a sweet natured and generous little soul.

OK. Nearly midnight. Goodnight all. Sleep well.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@MrsA2 OUCH! I'm sorry!
@Annb that's really too bad about Em's sewing machine. And worse about the eBay situation. A £50 repair sounds like it was thrown from a cliff during shipment, not like nothing was wrong when sent. But if it's a solid quality machine, perhaps it's worth it?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It seems that the reason for the seller's unwillingness to take the sewing machine back is that the cost of returning it would be another £54! It weighs 20 kg. That is the Parcel Force price. Parcel Force is the Royal Mail parcels service which was separated out from the letter and package service. She could try one of the local couriers - we sent a parcel of books weighing about 30 kg last year for £32, that would be much better and ebay might be happier to undertake the return.

DIL acknowledges that she is often a bit hasty, but she has already put a bid in for another sewing machine on ebay. She's desperate to get Em her sewing machine. The one she bought, and the one she has a bid on for, is a complicated one which does all kinds of things, including machine embroidery. That seems to be the bit that doesn't work on the first one.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the good wishes for son, DIL and Rosa. They seem fine but Julie has the same symptoms quite badly one pup has a mild version and I am struggling with something which sends my bg into orbit. Water and TV today - why no sport when it is needed?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the good wishes for son, DIL and Rosa. They seem fine but Julie has the same symptoms quite badly one pup has a mild version and I am struggling with something which sends my bg into orbit. Water and TV today - why no sport when it is needed?
I have just sent you a message on the other thread the gist of which was hope you and Julie can get lots of rest and get better soon and hope Bill/Ben doesnt succumb!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb gosh reading about the sewing machine disappointment and the cup cakes it just goes to show the best laid plans and intentions can go so wrong. I was so impressed by little Em’s response and I hope her mum has better luck with the next one and finds a successful way to return the first one.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Felt a bit of an idiot today.
I have resolved not to eat chocolate or anything with sweeteners or drink alcohol for a week to see if my headaches stop, so went for a walk with a friend to get some fresh air but was so busy watching where I was putting my feet so as not to slip in the mud that I walked straight into an overhanging branch and nearly knocked my self out. :banghead:
Have had a corker of a headache since, so might have well had the chocolate and wine after all ! :joyful:[/QUO
Easily done, I have even done it standing up after weeding under the fruit trees in my own garden. Hope you are not bruised.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just sent you a message on the other thread the gist of which was hope you and Julie can get lots of rest and get better soon and hope Bill/Ben doesnt succumb!
Thank you so much. Julie seems to be the worst affected. I'm on water, catching up with things I'd rather not see and just now I was 5.7 via Libre.