"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Enjoy your evening @Antje77 sounds fun.

I've just booked to attend the PHC conference on a virtual basis again this year. I'd recommend it lots of interesting stuff to listen to. I'm particularly keen on the cholesterol and mental health discussions on day 2.
I'd love to go in person as I did two years ago when it was held in Bristol but not practical for me this year cost of needing to stay several nights in South London and travel there and back.
That does look interesting

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, hope all well. Glad we can continue chatting and following others news and adventures.Really enjoying our interrail trip. Long travel day today from Ljubljana to Vienna and boy it’s chilly here. Have an apartment for the weekend so will be easier to keep low carb.Just been to a an Italian chain restaurant called Vapiano where they had courgetti as a pasta alternative,never seen that before,was yummy with a prawn and spinach sauce and stocked up at the supermarket and found low carb bread,hurray! Have a good weekend everyone.
Wow sounds really encouraging as when we visited Vienna about 7 years ago all the eating places were very high carb so that is excellent news - low carb bread too. Other difference was in our visit in July it was a heatwave and uncomfortable to walk around. We mainly went to air conditioned galleries and museums. Enjoy your weekend.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just went and splurged on livestream tickets for PHC one (been looking at this since livestream tickets went live) as well as IFACC, which runs a day before (https://the-chc.org/fas/conference).
I was just listening to a podcast released today by Dr Eric Westman who interviewed Dr Jen unwin about food addiction and they were talking about the addiction conference the day before- looks interesting. Would be great if they can produce lots of consensus evidence to convince WHO as it was rejected last year because of not enough consensus evidence.Some terrific speakers too.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think my weekend will be a bit ‘tamer’ than @Antje77 ‘s. o_O
By now, I'm very sure you're right.
Only popping in because I went home to get my basal insulin and enjoy a smoke before going back to my neighbour.
Picture of food will be posted tomorrow on the main thread, now it's back to lots of relaxed laughter and casual enjoyment of eachother. :joyful:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never managed to listen or get to a PHc conference yet. They always hold it in May and I will be away. Never mind

Yoghurt saga continues. I looked back over the notes @shelley262 kindly sent me (thought it was last summer, but was June 22!!) And I think I muddled up the 2 methods of using fresh milk or uht milk. That will teach me to read instructions rather than do it from memory. Duh!

I shall use up my runny yoghurt mixing it with sugar free jelly to make an lc dessert.

I'm not too sure it does work out cheaper. I get Lidls creamy greek style in 1kg pots and it's about the same as the litre of milk is, and I have trouble finding uht full cream milk.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll leave you all to enjoy this revived and suddenly lively thread, please keep posting food on the main one, I'm off to get drunk with my neighbour, it's weekend!
All for scientific purposes of course, I need more data on those mysterious lows. :angelic:
It's public spirited of you @Antje77, it must be said, to undertake further research on those mysterious lows.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been to a an Italian chain restaurant called Vapiano where they had courgetti as a pasta alternative, never seen that before, was yummy with a prawn and spinach sauce
No! Really? Something has changed for the better then @sueh21. Does anyone think it could happen here in the dim and distant future?

Have a good weekend all!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, I'm loving all the updates and lively chat on this thread!

I'm up early, the sun is out and I have a new small plastic polytunnel to put up in my garden to replace the one various storms battered to bits. I don't grow many plants in it, just a few tomatoes, sweet peppers and baby cucumbers - but it is a place to sit outside, somewhat sheltered and warmer, while I watch the birds feeding and dream of warmer (and drier!) weather. I really enjoyed that last year.

I'm hoping to have an OMAD day today but will see how it goes.

Have a lovely day everyone!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I'm loving all the updates and lively chat on this thread!

I'm up early, the sun is out and I have a new small plastic polytunnel to put up in my garden to replace the one various storms battered to bits. I don't grow many plants in it, just a few tomatoes, sweet peppers and baby cucumbers - but it is a place to sit outside, somewhat sheltered and warmer, while I watch the birds feeding and dream of warmer (and drier!) weather. I really enjoyed that last year.

I'm hoping to have an OMAD day today but will see how it goes.

Have a lovely day everyone!
Enjoy the sun - it always helps when it stops raining plus staying busy outdoors may help you do a OMAD.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's public spirited of you @Antje77, it must be said, to undertake further research on those mysterious lows.
I managed to avoid lows!

That first drop at 8 pm was insulin, but the second one at around 9:30 was definitely caused by playful touch after dinner.
With a fingerprick it dropped to 3.8, and now being pretty sure I'd drop again during the night, I had a good portion of crisps without insulin.
On a normal night this would have likely raised me to at least 12, and would have kept me above 8 all night.

It was a bit scary to go to bed with that rising line and no insulin, but the cuddling and sleeping intertwined with my neighbour did it's magic trick again, with the crisps preventing me from dropping too far. No alarms!

Who would have thought I'd ever need to eat crisps for health reasons. :hilarious:

No Foot on the floor effect either this morning, I'm still sitting at 5.0, no insulin. All week this week I've needed 4 to 6 units for getting out of bed.

1713603082489.png

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Because of the recent high BP and the GP being aware that I have been eating a carnivore diet for a short time, she has asked me to have a blood test. That will be next week. I had been adding a few veg to my meals for the last few days but I really want to see what effect the diet I want to eat has on my blood and on my BG (with any luck, I'll get an HBa1c figure) and, with any luck, I'll get a bit more weight off. I'm wondering if, if the tests show nothing much amiss, I could get by with having carnivore most of the week but adding some veg on one or two days. I know we are supposed to be eating about 7 portions of veg every day, but that's general advice. Some (like Neil) can't eat vegetables at all - apart from mushrooms - because of the fibre content. I do like some vegetables, even though I know that some of them don't like me, but if they are causing me to take extra insulin and causing me to put weight on, I can quite happily do without them, if to do that isn't compromising my health in other ways.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll probably try and do both - provided I remember. Some days it's a struggle to even just list my food when I'm hectic but I try to do so if possible to keep myself accountable but when I have time I love a good chat and hearing news so I will aim to do both.
As a carer of an adult son - our eldest -who struggles with independent living because of his multiple disabilities life can be complex at times and a bit unpredictable.
I'm with you @shelley262. In my case, I have both grandson's daily, and I've been coping with edging the eldest back into school again following his anxiety attack a few weeks back. Add to that, as you already know, I'm teaching him 8 different subjects, so time is at a premium. Since I'm on this thread, I know I'm allowed to say that great progress has been made this week. I persuaded him back into class for 4 more subjects. He's also well settled back in maths. I felt I'd achieved something this week as the head of maths actually came out because he "wanted to shake my hand." He told me that I've done an exceptional job as he knew there was a mathematician hiding in him somewhere. I was the one who had finally pulled it out! He said the difference in class is amazing. He's engaging and helping his classmates. At least I feel I've achieved something.

I still recall when this thread was started. We'd had a conversation with Goonergal and others where it was suggested we change the name of the main thread to add "with some chat." It wasn't allowed, so this thread was born. The thing is, people did get confused. Some just lacked time, and more than a few disappeared altogether, which I found very sad. I'm still miles behind, and currently, I don't know what I'll do. Maybe start another more accurate thread - what I ate in the last 8 or 9 days?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, hope all well. Glad we can continue chatting and following others news and adventures.Really enjoying our interrail trip. Long travel day today from Ljubljana to Vienna and boy it’s chilly here. Have an apartment for the weekend so will be easier to keep low carb.Just been to a an Italian chain restaurant called Vapiano where they had courgetti as a pasta alternative,never seen that before,was yummy with a prawn and spinach sauce and stocked up at the supermarket and found low carb bread,hurray! Have a good weekend everyone.
Wow, things have changed in Italy since we were last there. We used to visit a lot as my sister was married to an Italian. We've not been since she passed away 5 years ago. Where does time go?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick chat before post my food on main thread to offload a stressy day

It was a caring for our eldest son day but a bit more complicated than expected mainly because of us being unable to get there earlier as planned because of traffic issues - we have a one way system atm because of flood defences work - and there was an RTA sadly preventing us leaving our road! Still got off two hours late and then lots of catching up needed.

At the same time we were feeling increasingly anxious for youngest son and wife who were heading to catch a flight to new York from Manchester a long saved up for and anticipated trip.unfortunately there was a multi vehicle accident on M 6 northbound and thankfully they were not involved in RTA but were stuck on m6 which closed while they cleared it. A one and a half hour journey turned into almost four! They were doing drop off meet and greet parking thankfully and both of them ran into airport about a minute before bag drop off closed! They raced through security and just managed to get to gate and off! They are now half way to New York - phew what a day.

Still the expression all's well that ends well applies here and my stress is thankfully seeping away - my glass of red wine may be helping!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got as far as Monday 15 April on the other thread. The last day of school holidays. BGs had been all over the place. We'd both been ill the entire school holidays thanks to the virus both grandson had kindly shared. We're still not 100% and are left with a cough that pops up out of nowhere. It's exhausting. Ill or not, I had to keep going. We made great progress with grandson. Despite the ghastly weather, he went out with his friends again. I dragged him to visit his cousins and, another day I took him clothes shopping which was surprisingly successful. He's growing like a weed at the moment.

Tuesday 16 April - bed 7.9 FBG 7.6. I didn't sleep well, wondering how the return to school would go. As it was, it was fine. Still some apprehension, but I got a lot of work done with him and back into 2 classes.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with tuna and sweetcorn. Benecol dairy free

L. The other half of a Keto Keto banana bread bar I still had.

D. 1/2 a crustless quiche. Scoop of Halo Top. That was it.

Wednesday 17 April bed 10. 9 !! It was 3 am before it dropped back into the 7's. I did a stab check, as it was at 7.5 at bedtime. Then, it just shot up to 10.9. No reason apart from I didn't feel that great again.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with tuna and sweetcorn. Benecol dairy free.

L. Nothing

D. The rest of the crustless quiche. Scoop of Halo Top.

@PenguinMum- sorry to read that you've had eye injection issues again. Chicken cacciatore is very tasty and ideal for bone in bits of chicken. All I do with it is brown the seasoned chicken, remove it. Give the veggie bits a quick stir fry, add the wine and reduce. Add the crushed tomato, herbs and black olives. Replace the chicken. Add a greaseproof cartouche to the casserole a la Hairy Bikers, lid on, and into a slow oven for a couple of hours.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got as far as Monday 15 April on the other thread. The last day of school holidays. BGs had been all over the place. We'd both been ill the entire school holidays thanks to the virus both grandson had kindly shared. We're still not 100% and are left with a cough that pops up out of nowhere. It's exhausting. Ill or not, I had to keep going. We made great progress with grandson. Despite the ghastly weather, he went out with his friends again. I dragged him to visit his cousins and, another day I took him clothes shopping which was surprisingly successful. He's growing like a weed at the moment.

Tuesday 16 April - bed 7.9 FBG 7.6. I didn't sleep well, wondering how the return to school would go. As it was, it was fine. Still some apprehension, but I got a lot of work done with him and back into 2 classes.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with tuna and sweetcorn. Benecol dairy free

L. The other half of a Keto Keto banana bread bar I still had.

D. 1/2 a crustless quiche. Scoop of Halo Top. That was it.

Wednesday 17 April bed 10. 9 !! It was 3 am before it dropped back into the 7's. I did a stab check, as it was at 7.5 at bedtime. Then, it just shot up to 10.9. No reason apart from I didn't feel that great again.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with tuna and sweetcorn. Benecol dairy free.

L. Nothing

D. The rest of the crustless quiche. Scoop of Halo Top.

@PenguinMum- sorry to read that you've had eye injection issues again. Chicken cacciatore is very tasty and ideal for bone in bits of chicken. All I do with it is brown the seasoned chicken, remove it. Give the veggie bits a quick stir fry, add the wine and reduce. Add the crushed tomato, herbs and black olives. Replace the chicken. Add a greaseproof cartouche to the casserole a la Hairy Bikers, lid on, and into a slow oven for a couple of hours.
Love the recipe for chicken cacciatore - sounds wonderful.
Sorry to hear though that you are still experiencing issues with your health but at least you are seeing a wonderful result from the work you are putting in to help and support your grandson. You really are supergran. Great that his maths teacher gave you some good feedback too.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262 - I just read your post on the trials and tribulations of the M6 and Manchester Airport. Glad the made the flight. I used to be able to get into Manchester Airport in a hurry, but last time I was there, it had changed so much, I was glad we'd taken National Express from Chester, then a shuttle bus to the Hilton in the airport. Accidents on the M6 were a way of life for me when I was working. Manchester Airport gave me some unusual moments too. Once I was taken to one side by security because I'd tested positive for explosives!! I'd been doing presentations in Stockport Round Table premises, so I was pretty shocked I'd tested positive. You know you're going to have issues when 3 approach you with swabs, latex gloves, and clip boards! As it turned out, the positive swabs were due to dust in my bags from the demolition job going on at home with our extension being built. The fact that there was something explosive in the demolition dust wasn't inspiring, nor was the fact that I got pulled at security for the next 6 months ( and I flew a lot for work!)