"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word "unfriendly". The thread hasn't become unfriendly at all (that's just my rather tired feeling coming into play). What I meant was that it seems more sparse and not actually as friendly/pally as it was a while back. No problem with that, but if the chatting can carry on on this thread, I'll be happy to use it - probably, I must admit, in preference, but that's just me.
I agree. I had a lot of catching up to do, so I posted quite a few on the other thread. I've posted my BGs alongside my food for years as it helps me to keep them together. However, I found myself wondering, "Is this OK?" Or if I'd been fiddling about with a dish to make it low carb, is it OK to post what I did to the recipe and whether it worked or not. There's the added issue (as someone already mentioned) that the meaning doesn't always come across as intended in the written word, and you can end up feeling like naughty children in the head teacher's office (I'm spending a lot of time with teachers!)
I got what you meant, and you were right. It is sparse when you are constantly wondering - is this OK? As I've said already, we've been here before. More than once, to be honest. It was zauberflaut that had the idea to set up this thread, following one of the last interventions. We did investigate changing the name of the other thread, but it wasn't allowed. I don't think any of us were too sure what to do with this thread.

I've tried the sparse, food only entry on the other thread and it is nothing more than a list. If I am constantly wondering is it OK, then it's easier to move over here where it is OK. It's difficult enough to stay up to date with everything else I have going on.

This is not a protest. It just makes life easier for me posting my BGs, food, recipes, and tips all in one place.

PS @jpscloud - I am the opposite to you. I never liked fish (especially fish & chips). I love fish now (especially fish & chips) since I worked out the LC "crumb" and celeriac chips!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Already did this morning, right when @JoKalsbeek told me to get that tattoo! :joyful:

View attachment 67245
There are options. This is one grandson came up with in the days of lockdown.
20210114_160918.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Winner for getting up to date despite your cough issues hope resolved soon and doesn't stick around much longer! Love too you stay inventive with your cooking very impressive
There's quite a few of us I know about now who have had the same viral infection and are left with this annoying cough. It's not all day. You are fine for a while, and it just comes on out of the blue (usually at bedtime).

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There are options. This is one grandson came up with in the days of lockdown. View attachment 67284
This is brilliant!
Too much for me (I'm a long time proud owner of one single small tattoo to remember my mum), but my neighbout may be interested in something like this. He has some extra room for jokes of this type because he had most of his left index finger amputated last year. And it would fit in with his theme: He has random tattoos in a line going from his left wrist to his right leg across his back, and he plans on filling the empty places. So left index finger would make sense for a beheading scene...

edit: Forgot to include a picture of my only tattoo.

1713736911258.png

Last edited:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree. I had a lot of catching up to do, so I posted quite a few on the other thread. I've posted my BGs alongside my food for years as it helps me to keep them together. However, I found myself wondering, "Is this OK?" Or if I'd been fiddling about with a dish to make it low carb, is it OK to post what I did to the recipe and whether it worked or not. There's the added issue (as someone already mentioned) that the meaning doesn't always come across as intended in the written word, and you can end up feeling like naughty children in the head teacher's office (I'm spending a lot of time with teachers!)
I got what you meant, and you were right. It is sparse when you are constantly wondering - is this OK? As I've said already, we've been here before. More than once, to be honest. It was zauberflaut that had the idea to set up this thread, following one of the last interventions. We did investigate changing the name of the other thread, but it wasn't allowed. I don't think any of us were too sure what to do with this thread.

I've tried the sparse, food only entry on the other thread and it is nothing more than a list. If I am constantly wondering is it OK, then it's easier to move over here where it is OK. It's difficult enough to stay up to date with everything else I have going on.

This is not a protest. It just makes life easier for me posting my BGs, food, recipes, and tips all in one place.

PS @jpscloud - I am the opposite to you. I never liked fish (especially fish & chips). I love fish now (especially fish & chips) since I worked out the LC "crumb" and celeriac chips!
I should have said I still love white fish, especially in the form of fish and chips!! It's the oily fish that are healthier that I have gone off, it's very strange. When I (rarely) go out to eat my friends always joke that I only ever want fish and chips even in quite fancy places :hilarious:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday I worked on yet another ship (owned by yet another neighbour, you must be thinking my life revolves around my neighbours with how much I talk about all my different neighbours :hilarious: ).
The kluiverboom, which is the 12 m long wooden thing sticking out at the bow, has been shortened to 10.5 m, so the net below the boom had to be adjusted as well.

I worked together with the skipper, first laying out the net in the exact shape it will have when attatched to the ship, and then lots of puzzling on where to cut, splice and knot.
The lines of the net were very tightly twisted so the splicing was very hard. (For splicing, you must open one of the 3 strands of the line so you can stick a strand through, but with a line this tight, opening it is an ordeal.)
It took us 6 hours, all in all, but we managed to finish the job! :joyful:

View attachment 67267

View attachment 67268
Do you have to climb the rigging, @Antje77?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe as you are having blood tests done you could ask them to check your D and B12. If really deficient they would prescribe and those specific supplements are quite small so may be more palatable than the big multi vitamin tabs. I take a D3 and K2 combined and it's tiny but the K helps the D to be absorbed. I also take b12 as a tiny drop under the tounge. Worth you checking those specific vitamin deficiencies.
I do think it important to have Vit D levels checked, regularly, particularly when taking supplements.
I was prescribed Vit D with calcium in 2018. Kept having repeat prescriptions throughout lockdown, and beyond, as GP surgeries took time to readmit patients to face to face appointments.
Random blood check by a locum last summer, showed excess calcium and Vit D in my blood. The symptoms? Abdominal pains, hearing problems, bone pain, extreme fatigue, headaches. Without the blood tests, nurse and GP, via remote consultations had attributed to existing conditions, allergies, arthritis, and post covid recovery.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BG is reasonable today but I wasn't sure whether to have a fasting day or not - feeling very nauseous. Just took my pills and logged on to my Zoom exercise class. I was already quite sore after a little bit of movement last week but it had subsided quite a lot and I've been able to move reasonably for the last couple of days. I thought, though, that I could give it a try. Results were worse than I had anticipated. Had to collapse on my bed for half an hour when we finished and I didn't even keep going for all the exercises. Now very achy and sore. But it did make up my mind that I should eat something. What to eat though: left-over lamb? Egg? Bacon? Cheese? None appealed but I found a pack of smoked salmon and another of ham so had the salmon - straight out of the packet. Not much in the packet but sufficient to stop me feeling nauseous and empty. Might have some ham later in the day but I don't see me dong any cooking today. No space for it anyway.

As the days go on, I seem to being hemmed in by more and more boxes, mostly old paperwork, most needing dumped when someone can go to the recycling and rubbish dump. Some still to go to a charity shop.

My larder is still half demolished because Neil wants to repaint the shelf unit and the larder walls before it all goes back together. The contents of the missing shelves are stored in a load of plastic boxes in the lounge and on all available kitchen surfaces. Just as well I have no requests for baked goods at present.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have to climb the rigging, @Antje77?
No, I don't.
Climbing rigging is a usual thing on square rigged ships, but on the type of ships I work on, all the sailing work is done from below. Of course there's sometimes a repair or paint job to do up in the mast, but those are done sitting on a 'bootsmanstoeltje' (a wooden plank on a rope, much like a children's swing at a playground, or a more modern version like in the picture) and you have someone else hoisting or winching you up.

1713801910258.png

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, it rained pretty much all day today so I spent the day sulking and watching films! There is plenty to do in the house but I felt moody so went with a lazy day.

I felt tempted to eat carbs today but didn't give in thankfully.

10am glass of kefir

12.30pm
Small bowl of minced beef in marrowbone broth
Pork crackling
Greek yogurt with cream

3pm
100g cheese

5pm
2 crispy chicken thighs
1 slice bacon

Black coffee and a few montezuma's 100% buttons.

Hope everyone had a less sulky day than I did :hilarious:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, it rained pretty much all day today so I spent the day sulking and watching films! There is plenty to do in the house but I felt moody so went with a lazy day.

I felt tempted to eat carbs today but didn't give in thankfully.

10am glass of kefir

12.30pm
Small bowl of minced beef in marrowbone broth
Pork crackling
Greek yogurt with cream

3pm
100g cheese

5pm
2 crispy chicken thighs
1 slice bacon

Black coffee and a few montezuma's 100% buttons.

Hope everyone had a less sulky day than I did :hilarious:
Winner for not caving in to carbs today - well done. Not only wet but blooming cold today too. Really does affect motivation and spirits. I've got a tight schedule as we are away from Sunday for a week so need to do lots extra before going to help eldest sons respite care while away and to help him cope. It's worth it though to get away and have a break.
We decided to go on another cruise as enjoyed our Norwegian one last year. I wasn't sure at the time if I'd like it but really did and found it very easy to eat high quality and nutritious low carb food. So we are going on a northern European one on Sunday. Can't wait but long to do list first!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I don't.
Climbing rigging is a usual thing on square rigged ships, but on the type of ships I work on, all the sailing work is done from below. Of course there's sometimes a repair or paint job to do up in the mast, but those are done sitting on a 'bootsmanstoeltje' (a wooden plank on a rope, much like a children's swing at a playground, or a more modern version like in the picture) and you have someone else hoisting or winching you up.

View attachment 67300
In English it's called a Bosun's Chair. That modern one looks a lot safer than the ones Tom used which would have been, as you said, a plank of wood tied on to rope (well tied on - it was sailors doing it, after all).

Ate nothing much today after the smoked salmon - just a bite or so of ham and some lovely new, creamy cheddar. Very tempted by Em's chocolate biscuits but stopped myself with thoughts of cheddar.

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, I don't.

View attachment 67300
Called a bosun chair in UK .
my pa was a sailor. That is how I know.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In English it's called a Bosun's Chair. That modern one looks a lot safer than the one's Tom used which would have been, as you said, a plank of wood tied on to rope (well tied on - it was sailors doing it, after all).
I prefer the old fashioned ones, the modern ones are usually designed for athletic young men, not for fat 47 year olds so they're too small.
And it's quite hard to fall out of a traditional one so I'm fine with that.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oops You got there before me, @Annb
Having been told twice that a bootsmanstoeltje is called a bosun's chair increases my chances of remembering the new word! You never know when you need it. :joyful:
I pretty much speak diabetic fluently in English, other subjects not so much. :hilarious:
I can sail in Dutch and in German though, but I don't speak diabetic in German, and I often find myself searching for words in my own language when it comes to diabetes, I mainly have diabetes in English.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Already did this morning, right when @JoKalsbeek told me to get that tattoo! :joyful:

View attachment 67245

Hohohoho. why, this is amazing!!!

Feeling a bit rough I think, some bug coming on for sure, bunged up nose and felt like my blood sugar was running really high for a bit, expected it to be 15 or something but had a one off check and it was 5.5 so not that.

Not 100% back on track with food either, I know that won’t be helping any.

Shoulder is slightly better/I think it’s the neck as the culprit though. Carpal tunnel giving a rough time so been keeping off the computer to give myself a rest when not working. Will have a read back and catch up in the week though.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having been told twice that a bootsmanstoeltje is called a bosun's chair increases my chances of remembering the new word! You never know when you need it. :joyful:
I pretty much speak diabetic fluently in English, other subjects not so much. :hilarious:
I can sail in Dutch and in German though, but I don't speak diabetic in German, and I often find myself searching for words in my own language when it comes to diabetes, I mainly have diabetes in English.

Dutch is one of those languages I feel I understand what’s being said, though I feel I couldn’t speak it (without learning of course) think maybe the grammar or structure is similar maybe to English?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hohohoho. why, this is amazing!!!

Feeling a bit rough I think, some bug coming on for sure, bunged up nose and felt like my blood sugar was running really high for a bit, expected it to be 15 or something but had a one off check and it was 5.5 so not that.

Not 100% back on track with food either, I know that won’t be helping any.

Shoulder is slightly better/I think it’s the neck as the culprit though. Carpal tunnel giving a rough time so been keeping off the computer to give myself a rest when not working. Will have a read back and catch up in the week though.
There's a few of us here been floored for weeks with a viral infection. We're just left with an annoying cough now (as you'll see from other posts).