"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Was going to say, your GP may have already told you,but a good idea to take painkillers before your procedure tom.Some people find it a bit painful,although seeing your finger and stitch removal, maybe you have a high pain tolerance :) Hope it goes well.
I was adviced to take two 500 mg paracetamol tablets and 400 mg of ibuprofen an hour before my appointment, and I'll definitely follow this advice.
As for the high pain tolerance, I don't think so. Getting the stitches in needed two numbing injections, and I howled with both of them. Getting them out produced some very sorry squeaky noises, prompting my neighbour to tell me to stop whinging, so I don't feel all that brave...

Apart from the possible pain, I'm very uncomfortable with having to display myself in that kind of way, and I miraculously managed to reach 47 years of age without ever having to do this for an HCP. So your well wishes are more than welcome!

I did some unplanned practicing with being uncomfortable with my (fat and way more female than I like) body today. :hilarious:
After work on the ship, the neighbours from a different ship called me over for a beer, the weather was amazing, I hadn't been swimming outside in weeks, and the water called.
So I complained about my swimming stuff being at home in my own car (which doesn't work again so using my neighbour's), and I had to get some groceries so I didn't want to go home in my wet clothes. The very young deckhand said "so go skinny dipping, problem solved", and I decided he was correct, so I did, without being bothered about people seeing me. :joyful:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone, I hope you won't mind if I post on this chat about my (imperfect) (mostly) carnivore (almost) month of April! If mods think necessary please remove.
I will probably start back on low carb before the end of the week, and while I won't post meals I will be lurking and chatting a bit!
Please keep us updated!
This thread is not in the low carb forum (contrary to the main thread) but in General Chat, where anything goes as long as it's within our forum rules.
So you can still post your meals here even if they're not low carb, and I'd love to hear how you fare with your experiments. :)

Last edited:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please keep us updated!
This thread is not in the low carb forum (contrary to the main thread) but in General Chat, where anything goes as long as it's within our forum rules.
So you can still post your meals here even if they're not low carb, and I'd love to hear how you fare with your experiments. :)
Today wasn't really proper meals, I started out well with 2 hard boiled eggs but bread came into the picture (planned but I still feel ****** about it) and later some more bread, and... you know where this is going!

I will have another day "off" low carb tomorrow but I don't feel good about it, so back to it on Weds I think.

Best of luck with the appointment and fitting - I share your horror of that sort of thing!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, back from our Interrailing adventure, was great fun ...
Low carb went really well whilst away and I have stayed the same weight, that may be a holiday first. A highlight was finding courgetti on menus in Vienna and Munich,once with prawns and spinach and once with bolognese, let’s hope that is a new trend that will arrive over here.
Fantastic @sueh21. Long may that continue in Vienna and Munich. Let's hope it catches on here in the UK too, as you say!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apart from the possible pain, I'm very uncomfortable with having to display myself in that kind of way, and I miraculously managed to reach 47 years of age without ever having to do this for an HCP. So your well wishes are more than welcome!

I did some unplanned practicing with being uncomfortable with my (fat and way more female than I like) body today. :hilarious:
Presumably you're accustomed to cervical screening though @Antje77.
Insertion is usually performed by a female doctor.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Presumably you're accustomed to cervical screening though @Antje77.
Erm, nope.
In the Netherlands we get an invitation for this every 5 years from our 30th birthday, and I've always kept those invitations for a long time to do something with it but didn't.
In fact, the last one has been living below my computer keyboard for over two years on my pile of 'important stuff to deal with'.

I told the GP and they'll include it tomorrow when I'm at it anyway.

The invitation looks like this by now... :sorry:
And they asked me to bring it. :hilarious:

1714429397742.png

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Erm, nope.
In the Netherlands we get an invitation for this every 5 years from our 30th birthday, and I've always kept those invitations for a long time to do something with it but didn't.
In fact, the last one has been living below my computer keyboard for over two years on my pile of 'important stuff to deal with'.

I told the GP and they'll include it tomorrow when I'm at it anyway.

The invitation looks like this by now... :sorry:
And they asked me to bring it. :hilarious:

View attachment 67405
Rest assured @Antje77, you're not the only one with items filed under your computer keyboard!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing so far and not likely to eat in the next while either. BG stable in the 5s but haven't eaten anything to speak of since Friday - just taking in fluids and even that makes my stomach rebel. Seeing a GP at 11.45 today.

EDIT: Back from GP. BG excellent (non diabetic range), BP better than it has been in the last 60 years, no trace of anything in the blood test. Puzzle. He thinks it must be some kind of infection but will need more tests to identify it - maybe liver, maybe kidney, maybe UTI, or maybe something else. Apparently not anything chronic though and should go away. Still don't feel good though. Should probaqbly try to eat something again. I did eat a tiny orange when I came in (really small, easy peeler kind of orange) because my stomach told me it could cope with that. It hurt when it hit my stomach, but it stayed put. Maybe some tea now and we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing so far and not likely to eat in the next while either. BG stable in the 5s but haven't eaten anything to speak of since Friday - just taking in fluids and even that makes my stomach rebel. Seeing a GP at 11.45 today.

EDIT: Back from GP. BG excellent (non diabetic range), BP better than it has been in the last 60 years, no trace of anything in the blood test. Puzzle. He thinks it must be some kind of infection but will need more tests to identify it - maybe liver, maybe kidney, maybe UTI, or maybe something else. Apparently not anything chronic though and should go away. Still don't feel good though. Should probaqbly try to eat something again. I did eat a tiny orange when I came in (really small, easy peeler kind of orange) because my stomach told me it could cope with that. It hurt when it hit my stomach, but it stayed put. Maybe some tea now and we'll see how that goes.
I'm so glad it's likely to go away! Hope you feel much better soon, keep us posted! x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Both I and the GP (physician assistent really but the one who does this most in the surgery) survived the insertion of the IUD, if only barely.
Apparently my womb is as stubborn a know-it-all as I am, and it hid my cervix very effectively.
After over 20 minutes of painful searching, the GP decided I'd need to make an appointment with someone else or get a referral to a gyn. Despite the pain, I asked her to try one more time, and lo and behold, it worked!

Both of us were very happy (she even did some serious and very unprofessional cursing from frustration and feeling sorry to be hurting me for so long :hilarious: ), so I'm very happy right now!
I did lash out to my neighbour when he came home and said something insensitive (not related to the subject) but I also rectified right away, so all is well. :joyful:

And now I'm going for a swim with a friend to wash away the last of my stress!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday 23 April - bed 7.8 FBG 7.4. BGs seem to be stabilising as this cough departs. It still pops up now and then, but it's lots better. School is getting better, too.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with egg mayo. Benecol dairy free.

L. Nothing

D. A fishy meal. Smoked salmon, prawns Marie Rose, santini tomatoes, individual cheese portions, avocado. Gin & soda.

It was actually nice today, and a cold meal fitted the bill.

Wednesday 24 April bed 7.9 bed 8.2. Did I say BGs have stabilised? They haven't. Cough has reappeared, and BGs were stubbornly on the high side today. Boys were here for dinner, too.

B. TAG and Benecol dairy free.

L. 1 slice of SRSLY toast with pate.

D. Boys wanted steak pie. Well, they got a slow cooked stew with pastry cooked separately. I had the stew with a small piece of grandson's GF pastry. Green beans and 1/2 a boiled potato. Scoop of Halo Top.

20240423_184549.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The swimming was wonderful and it got rid of feeling a bit shaken by this afternoon's events, feeling completely well again now. :)

Earlier today I discovered a new way to moore a ship if you want it to be very close for easier painting but the harbour only provides enough pollards(?) for very long lines, which leaves room for the ship to move. :joyful:

1714511781289.png

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The swimming was wonderful and it got rid of feeling a bit shaken by this afternoon's events, feeling completely well again now. :)

Earlier today I discovered a new way to moore a ship if you want it to be very close for easier painting but the harbour only provides enough pollards(?) for very long lines, which leaves room for the ship to move. :joyful:

View attachment 67423
For pollards (a way of controlling tree growth) use Bollard - those metal thingies that you hook ropes around at the harbourside. Or those posts that are put up to stop cars going through an opening.

1714546702468.png

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 67423
I wouldn't be doing that with my car.

I don't know how much that (looks like a) barge weighs, but having seen what our 22 ton sailing yacht did to a relatively new marina mooring (and to a lesser extent itself), I'd urge enormous caution.

Yes, our boat was in a Cat 4 hurricaine at the time, but it is a sobering reminder of the power of Mother Nature.

(No fenders?)

sueh21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Both I and the GP (physician assistent really but the one who does this most in the surgery) survived the insertion of the IUD, if only barely.
Apparently my womb is as stubborn a know-it-all as I am, and it hid my cervix very effectively.
After over 20 minutes of painful searching, the GP decided I'd need to make an appointment with someone else or get a referral to a gyn. Despite the pain, I asked her to try one more time, and lo and behold, it worked!

Both of us were very happy (she even did some serious and very unprofessional cursing from frustration and feeling sorry to be hurting me for so long :hilarious: ), so I'm very happy right now!
I did lash out to my neighbour when he came home and said something insensitive (not related to the subject) but I also rectified right away, so all is well. :joyful:

Ooh, well done for being brave,glad it’s all done and successful. Misread your post to start with and thought it said referral to a gym, was wondering what sort of exercises you would have to do!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually did manage to eat last night - 4 of the smallest lamb chops I've ever seen. My stomach, again, was sore, but didn't send them back the way they came. However, they tasted like cardboard. Not that they were overcooked, they were just done but the taste buds also seem to have gone on strike.

Today I will get around to making that salmon Fu Yung that I promised myself - just need to muster the energy after taking 1ml of the medicine that the GP prescribed yesterday. It is an anti-fungal medicine, even though there was no sign of a fungal infection - just in case that was the problem. However there are lots of nasties in the medicine including artificial cherry flavour, ethanol, sucrose and a lot of things I can neither pronounce nor spell without carefully following what the leaflet says. 1ml on my tongue made me feel very sorry for myself but a couple of hours later, I am getting back to my normal, not very energetic, self.

If I can make the salmon dish, it will probably be all I want for the day.

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to add @Antje77

The contraceptive pill is usually prescribed so that a menstrual period happens every month, much like the pattern of a normal menstrual cycle.

IME, the Pill made the monthlies lighter and a lot less painful. I was prescribed the Pill for more than 10 years with no ill effects until my husband had a vasectomy.

It gives you really reliable protection against pregnancy (even if semen gets into the vagina) and you'll know you've reached menopause when you've gone 12 consecutive months without a menstrual period.

Hope you find your chat with the GP helpful and reassuring, whatever you decide.
I would add, for @Antje77 , or anyone else reading. Doctors and medical staff looking at your intimate parts is no big deal for them, and so just relax and let them do what is needed. I would hope that part of the process of sorting suitable contraception would be carrying out a cervical pap smear test to screen for potentially cancererous or precancerous cells. Not scary at all if you relax, and trust the HCP.. These tests detect early changes, and if anything is amiss(I never had anything untoward found) can be treated.

edit: I see I am late with the info. So well done @Antje77 . You do need to consider the regular checks / cervical smear tests now, too.

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't be doing that with my car.

I don't know how much that (looks like a) barge weighs, but having seen what our 22 ton sailing yacht did to a relatively new marina mooring (and to a lesser extent itself), I'd urge enormous caution.

Yes, our boat was in a Cat 4 hurricaine at the time, but it is a sobering reminder of the power of Mother Nature.

(No fenders?)
I am guessing that wasn’t @Antje77 ‘s car!
:hilarious: