• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Food a bit uncertain today. I did my 8 hour fast before taking the weight loss pill - and then forgot to take it. I only remembered when I'd already taken painkillers and a big cup of Caro. I couldn't wait another 8 hours because BG was dropping fast at about 5 hours so at that point I had the pill then 35 minutes later, I had a sandwich to get the BG back on the upward journey. It rather stuck in my throat so I had a cup of tea to get it down. All that made me feel rather sick. Now into the 8's.

I asked Neil to use up the mushrooms because I couldn't see myself stomaching them. I do have lots of vegetables so will do something with them for a 2nd meal, much later in the day.
 
It's been a busy couple of days here but I finally got in the garden and picked the caulis that are more than ready - there's enough for two double-portion cauliflower cheeses, so I'm making one today and the other half of the caulis are in the fridge, I'll either make and freeze more cauliflower cheese with those or blanch and freeze the florets.

Breakfast was porridge and lunch is chicken and mushroom from the freezer, tea will be a portion of cauliflower cheese with chicken and runner beans.
 
I am still waiting to hear back from my GP - only message from the surgery today was a request to book my flu jab, which I have duly done for 21 October. In the meantime, I'm jolly well going to carry on taking the pills, especially as my weight this morning was down to 74.35, which is as low as it's ever been on this part of my weight-loss journey. I don't think I can ascribe it to my now-shorter hair, any more than I think it was fat that caused the blip over the past couple of weeks - fluid is much more likely. No more weigh-ins now until 23 October.

Breakfast this morning was overnight oats, as usual on a weekday at home. My husband and I walked down to our church (about a mile away) to do a couple of admin jobs, and the morning rather got away from us, so we stopped off at a local café for lunch. I had a cheese and mushroom omelette, which was very good, but they didn't serve bread with it, and I was brought up to believe that you must eat bread with an egg, or it would be too rich (you can tell I'm a child of the 1950s). However, I decided a low-carb lunch would work and, indeed, I was full! My husband had a roast chicken and salad wrap, which looked enormous and I'm surprised he could finish it. I very nearly ordered a salad bowl, but I'm glad I didn't when I saw the size of them - someone at a neighbouring table had ordered one. I couldn't have eaten half of it, I don't think! Huge. Probably excellent value for money, though. To drink, I had a Fentiman's lemonade, and then when I got home I had a green tea with home-made lemon cordial. That (the lemon cordial) is now finished for another year.... I could make more, but we don't drink it in the winter very much. I walked home, bringing my step total up to over 5k, which is pleasing.

Supper is going to be the second half of the liver and bacon, probably with potato/cauliflower mash and cabbage, and maybe a carrot if I can be bothered to peel one. Pudding probably kefir with stewed plums.
 
I have egg yolks to use up as my panda flour loaf recipe uses lots of egg whites and I made two loaves yesterday! So I am hoping to make a new panda pasta recipe that uses only the egg yolks with Panda Flour and olive oil plus salt. The recipe I've used successfully before uses whole eggs. The rolling out needs time and patience but the dough is very well behaved and gather that the egg yolk one is even easier to work with so I'm crossing fingers. I'm planning on doing some lasagne portions for the freezer for future ready meals. Will get bolognese into slow cooker this morning so It's ready for assembling this afternoon.
It's fish Friday though so salmon is on the menu for dinner.
Hope everyone has a good Friday whatever your plans.
I haven’t tried Panda products but for other lower carb recipes I often find rolling in between two sheets of parchment/waxed paper helps make the process go a little more smoothly.
 
I was brought up to believe that you must eat bread with an egg, or it would be too rich (you can tell I'm a child of the 1950s)
It's amazing how much custom/history/tradition stays with us. The UK in particular after the war was encouraged to eat bread and potatoes in great quantities because they were cheap and in good supply, not necessarily because they were better for our health. I remember being told to eat a slice of bread after cake or pudding to "take the sweetness away" when hindsight tells me it was cost saving, cake was expensive in comparison to bread, and if I remember rightly came in much smaller portions than now.
Last week I made a rice pudding for my husband and his brother. I used a pint of milk like my mum used to make for 4 of us (and leftovers). They scoffed the lot in one go.!

Since I've gone low carb (and I'm one of those who doesn't miss bread at all!) I've been amazed by how many people say they couldn't be without it but have never tried. Ditto people who say they can't have cheese without crackers. Well, both to me are now normal although my Mum is probably turning in her grave.
We're lucky to have plentiful food available today even though its rising in price
I'm glad I know some of my Mums and Grans saving ways but I do worry about whether it would be possible to stay low carb in times of scarcity.

Today was yoghurt with seeds and freshly picked raspberries. Lunch was smoked salmon, avocado and cream cheese. Dinner was shakshuka with eggs and lots of cheese.
 
Tartex on a thin slice of wholemeal bread for breakfast. It filled a need but |I didn't enjoy it. The last bit just wouldn't go down properly. That's not unusual but has become more common since I've been on this weight loss pill. Had to have quite a lot of water to get it to go down. DIL says she has found the same thing.

At the moment my stomach is begging for no more thoughts of food so I'll leave planning for a 2nd meal for now.
 
Porridge for breakfast, cottage cheese salad for lunch and cauliflower cheese with pork chop and runner beans for tea.

It's been a beautiful day here, but rain tomorrow - we seem to get one sunny day then one rainy day. I'll take it over the constant rain we can sometimes get!
 
It's amazing how much custom/history/tradition stays with us. The UK in particular after the war was encouraged to eat bread and potatoes in great quantities because they were cheap and in good supply, not necessarily because they were better for our health. I remember being told to eat a slice of bread after cake or pudding to "take the sweetness away" when hindsight tells me it was cost saving, cake was expensive in comparison to bread, and if I remember rightly came in much smaller portions than now.
Potatoes are said to be an excellent source of vitamin C, especially in the winter months. We always preferred to finish our meal with something savoury - tea, when we were little, was sandwiches (savoury, usually two kinds) and no more than 3 biscuits each, or perhaps a slice of cake. We always liked to keep a sandwich back to finish with, and found it hard when visiting friends whose family rule was that the sandwiches had to be finished before the biscuits or cake could be eaten!

Today, I had a fried egg on a slice of wholemeal toast with paté for breakfast, also orange juice; lunch was the usual Saturday bit of roll with bacon and avocado (I could have had a whole roll, but just nibbled at it) followed by ice cream with a dollop of creme fraiche. Then mid-afternoon I had the pain aux raisins that my husband had kindly bought for my breakfast and didn't want then! I slightly wish I hadn't had it, as I'm not going to be very hungry for our Saturday sausage and mash! Which will be followed by melon, I think.

Tomorrow is going to be manic; I'm preaching in the morning, and then my brother-in-law and his friend are coming to lunch, so I've been making a salad (aubergine, peppers, cherry tomatoes and two kinds of beans, all cooked, and then tomorrow it will have cucumber, avocado, 1/2 red onion and perhaps some raw cherry toms added), which we will have with burrata and low GI bread from Lidl, probably followed by the end of the melon. So all that will have to be ready before we go to Church. Then the local windmill has its harvest festival in the afternoon, and I'd quite like to go down and watch the local Morris side performing. In the evening, there is the monthly Communion service at one of the churches in our circuit, so I'm going to make a chicken casserole in the slow cooker which will be ready and waiting for us when we get in - chicken thighs, leeks, mushrooms, baby potatoes, maybe a courgette.... This will have to do us twice so I can reheat it when we get down to Sussex on Monday evening, and we will sleep in the motor home (which lives down there) to be ready to go away at silly-o-clock on Tuesday morning! I have packed my clothes now, but there is all the other stuff to pack.... I am very fond of my brother-in-law, but why did he have to choose this weekend to come down?
 
Didn't bother making a 2nd meal. Just had a lentil cake (Kallo, like rice cake but made of lentil), Quite pleasant just as it is with no topping. I bought some cans of 100% coconut water from Amazon to have something different available when I want coffee but can't have it. It really isn't nice! I'll have to doctor it with lemon juice to make it drinkable.

Just about keeping on top of the nausea. Awful case of burping though. :sorry:
 
Loving the stories about food in the 50s\early 60s definitely brings back lots of memories of my childhood foods. As others say very much impacted by post war scarcity and poverty. As a coal miners daughter bread and potatoes were our staples and fillers. My Dad took his metal snap box down the pit filled with jam doorstep sandwiches that got mixed with liberal amounts of coal dust! How he worked a hard physical job on mainly sugar I'm not sure but meat protein was in short supply as too expensive to eat most days. A small joint of beef on Sunday was important though because it produced dripping to spread on bread in the week. We did eat a lot of veggies from the allotment though with our spuds. Tins of fruit with condensed milk or carnation were also served with bread and butter !I
I did make the four lasagnes yesterday and using egg yolks, oil and panda flour produced a great result easier to roll out thinly - now all in freezer for next few weeks.
Today made a chicken curry and also lots of low carb muffins- lemon and coffee and walnut today, and chocolate yesterday. Freezer stocks building up thankfully.
I've had a frustrating few days spending way too much time trying to resolve an issue with an organisation on behalf of my vulnerable eldest adult son. Even with Power of Attorney it's been complex. Just hoping we can move it forward next week.
 
Loving the stories about food in the 50s\early 60s definitely brings back lots of memories of my childhood foods. As others say very much impacted by post war scarcity and poverty. As a coal miners daughter bread and potatoes were our staples and fillers. My Dad took his metal snap box down the pit filled with jam doorstep sandwiches that got mixed with liberal amounts of coal dust! How he worked a hard physical job on mainly sugar I'm not sure but meat protein was in short supply as too expensive to eat most days. A small joint of beef on Sunday was important though because it produced dripping to spread on bread in the week. We did eat a lot of veggies from the allotment though with our spuds. Tins of fruit with condensed milk or carnation were also served with bread and butter !I
I did make the four lasagnes yesterday and using egg yolks, oil and panda flour produced a great result easier to roll out thinly - now all in freezer for next few weeks.
Today made a chicken curry and also lots of low carb muffins- lemon and coffee and walnut today, and chocolate yesterday. Freezer stocks building up thankfully.
I've had a frustrating few days spending way too much time trying to resolve an issue with an organisation on behalf of my vulnerable eldest adult son. Even with Power of Attorney it's been complex. Just hoping we can move it forward next week.
Mmmmm, dripping on bread that had been toasted over the open fire, nothing like it, especially if you were one of the lucky ones to get some of the gelatin from the bottom of the bowl too.
 
Lots of offal is what I remember from our 50s/60s diet. Bread and potatoes, of course (best part of the meals as far as I was concerned). Not many fruits or vegetables available back then. I remember long queues at the greengrocers when word went round that they had some fresh veg in. I also remember queuing at that same shop when it was said they had bananas. Mum queued for ages, inching nearer the shop door, hoping there would be some left when she got inside. She bought two. One she shared with my Dad, the other was cut in two for my brother and myself. Margarine, not butter - sold loose and shaped and weighed by the grocer. Of course, everything was rationed so she could only buy small quantities of anything.
A stuffed sheep's heart went a long way as a Sunday roast. Stuffed with mainly carbs, of course and served with mashed potato and some green leafy vegetable. We thrived on it. I still can't produce a stuffed heart that matches my mother's dish. Chitterlings too, I remember, and tripe.
Biscuits were sold by the 1/4, 1/2 or one lb out of a plastic topped tin, but when we did have biscuits (once in a while) they were from the box of broken ones that were sold off at a lower price.
One thing we could get was apples. We lived in Kent, very close to a large apple growing farm and could always go there to buy ones they couldn't sell to the shops. We didn't have sugar in our tea (never saw coffee until I was about 8) so all the rationed sugar went into making a lovely apple pie at the weekend.
 
Last edited:
@Annb I'd forgotten about how much offal we ate every week including kidneys, liver and oxtail ( oxtail needs to be cooked forever, taunting us with it's tempting smell, produces a very tasty gravy and, of course, served with bread ) I wasn't fond of tripe ( not served often) and mum didn't cook heart. We had plenty of veggies but not a lot of variety just seasonal veg.
Offal not on today's menu which reminds me chicken always used to be sold with the innards which made the best gravy. Roast chicken dinner is planned today - served with broccoli and carrots but I'll have to use stock from freezer and add some celery and lightly browned shallots to give the accompanying gravy more flavour and colour.
 
@Annb I'd forgotten about how much offal we ate every week including kidneys, liver and oxtail ( oxtail needs to be cooked forever, taunting us with it's tempting smell, produces a very tasty gravy and, of course, served with bread ) I wasn't fond of tripe ( not served often) and mum didn't cook heart. We had plenty of veggies but not a lot of variety just seasonal veg.
Offal not on today's menu which reminds me chicken always used to be sold with the innards which made the best gravy. Roast chicken dinner is planned today - served with broccoli and carrots but I'll have to use stock from freezer and add some celery and lightly browned shallots to give the accompanying gravy more flavour and colour.
Not only sold with innards - feathers too. Plucking was a job I hated! Not that we had chicken often - that was very much only for Christmas dinner. One scrawny bird, with innards and feathers was fine the way my mother cooked it (too scrawny to roast) for four of us. Chicken stock and those innards made the gravy which was coloured with gravy browning, as well some left for making something else later - never soup - mother wasn't a soup-maker for some reason. She actually wasn't known so much for her cooking as for her baking, but that didn't come until after the end of rationing.

Breakfast today was some puffed spelt wheat with some milk. Tea.

Stomach still rather queasy so I can't think of a 2nd meal yet - if at all. I didn't yesterday.
 
Porridge for breakfast, toast and marmite for lunch (my home made bread that I optimistically call lower carb, made with spelt and barley) and I chili con carne with cauliflower and a bit of resistant starch rice for tea.
 
Lots of offal is what I remember from our 50s/60s diet. Bread and potatoes, of course (best part of the meals as far as I was concerned). Not many fruits or vegetables available back then. I remember long queues at the greengrocers when word went round that they had some fresh veg in. I also remember queuing at that same shop when it was said they had bananas. Mum queued for ages, inching nearer the shop door, hoping there would be some left when she got inside. She bought two. One she shared with my Dad, the other was cut in two for my brother and myself. Margarine, not butter - sold loose and shaped and weighed by the grocer. Of course, everything was rationed so she could only buy small quantities of anything.
A stuffed sheep's heart went a long way as a Sunday roast. Stuffed with mainly carbs, of course and served with mashed potato and some green leafy vegetable. We thrived on it. I still can't produce a stuffed heart that matches my mother's dish. Chitterlings too, I remember, and tripe.
Biscuits were sold by the 1/4, 1/2 or one lb out of a plastic topped tin, but when we did have biscuits (once in a while) they were from the box of broken ones that were sold off at a lower price.
One thing we could get was apples. We lived in Kent, very close to a large apple growing farm and could always go there to buy ones they couldn't sell to the shops. We didn't have sugar in our tea (never saw coffee until I was about 8) so all the rationed sugar went into making a lovely apple pie at the weekend.
I have similar memories. All fruit and veg was what had been grown in either our garden or my grandparents. There was an annual pomegrante an annual bag of nuts, ( Christmas of course), and if we were very lucky, a small Ski yogurt.
 
Went to a country show today. Not as busy as its summer counterpart so spent most of the time watching events in the ring.
Food was usual overpriced carby options so I took cold chicken and olives with me, and a flask of hot ginger tea, after a breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs. Hubby had a disappointing sausage roll and an ice cream sundae.
Both were still hungry so enjoyed a dinner of chicken, mushrooms and cream on buttered savoy cabbage. The chicken was reheated in stock saved from roasting it yesterday - Mum's frugality adding flavour, double win.

Yesterday was yoga first, lunch was something (!). Dinner was out at local fundraising quiz. I took olives (instead of provided crisps), friend bought Cheesies. Main was gammon with jacket and baked beans. I had the ham and a few beans. Took a few hazelnuts I'd covered in 85% chocolate to have instead of the proffered Cornetto.
Only 2 small glasses white wine
And our team won!
 
Back
Top