1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by SamJB, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blessedarethecheesemakers

Blessedarethecheesemakers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks! Halloumi is an AWESOME Cypriot sheep's cheese. It needs to be cooked eg grilled / bbq'd,
    for the best effect. It's lovely and salty.

Re being on holiday - one of the things I love about low carbing is that if I pick the restaurant well (basically avoiding pizza/pasta joints mainly) I find it quite easy to eat out. Tapas is my favourite as so easy just to order low carb plates. Other places I just ask for extra veg in place of the potatoes. If the restaurant does a side order of cauli cheese I'm in heaven.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Blessedarethecheesemakers

Blessedarethecheesemakers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Although having said that re pizza - I always hated my husbands's favourite takeaway pizza place as the pizza was so doughy with such think toppings. However the thick toppings have become a virtue - a couple of times for dinner I've ordered a pizza and just lifted off the topping and eaten it (it comes off in one piece sort of like its own sub-pizza, such is the inauthentic nature of this pizza) and it has been delicious.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Susikav

Susikav Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am definitely going to let myself have a small spelt slice, now and again, like ColdEthel does then... :) I used to make my own spelt and rye bread before - I shall start again... my bread-maker will be out as soon as I get back from Riyadh... :) I did read on here that carbs taken with all the other stuff helps slow down the absorption... cool... :cool::)

• Like Like x 4
  4. Susikav

Halloumi is heaven... squeaky cheese.. :) cooked in a dry frying pan really hot and fast... lovely... you have to eat it while it's soft though, or it's not the same...

• Like Like x 6
  5. Susikav

They do sting! But such a relief... I still have huge pupils hours later.... When we were driving back to the hotel every time the sun caught a piece of chrome it was like a fireworks display... :) I'm still struggling to see properly... The doc gave me Systane drops - she says I can use them up to 4 times a day for at least a month...

• Like Like x 2
  6. poshtotty

poshtotty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not a good day food wise

B - my usual Greek yoghurt with a mixture of frozen berries and fresh strawberries, sprinkled with flaked almonds. Coffee with cream

L - My lovely, gentle, kind, generous Hindu friend invited me to her home for a home-cooked Indian lunch. Everything was served up by her, not at the table so I couldn't help myself to small portions of the carby stuff and there was a lot.

Starter was spiced potato patties with salad and yoghurt dressing
    Main was spiced pulled lamb with vegetable curried rice, poppadoms and pitta bread....:( I declined the pitta bread but couldn't really refuse anything else already on my plate
    Dessert was crushed mango and fruit salad with single cream :arghh:

Washed down with a single glass of Prosecco for me, and 2 for her

BS = 12.4 at their worst. My tummy is still very sore and I'm drinking hot water with fresh ginger to try and soothe it.

EDIT by 2.5 hours BS had dropped to 7.2. Phew!

• Like Like x 6
    #5666 poshtotty, Jan 28, 2015 at 5:50 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015
  7. Tweetypie

Tweetypie Other · Well-Known Member

I love the topping only pizza trick, also can be done with calzone style pizza. Before diagnosis, our favourite Saturday night meal was an ASDA create your own pizza, plus garlic bread. Would always save a slice and have with beans for breakfast. I found it so hard to break this habit but have got around it by scraping the topping off and I don't really miss the bread. I have it with lashings of salad, olives and mayo Sometimes I still save a slice but have it at sunday lunch then go for a nice long walk after!

I also remember years and years ago when Atkins was all the rage, sitting next to a guy at the pizza hut all you can eat buffet lunch. He literally got himself a dozen slices of pizza, scraped off the topping and wolfed it down. He was left with a pile of bare pizza slices on his plate and it was very amusing to watch, we laughed about it for ages after but I never thought that would be me one day! I do try to exercise a little more self control than he did though! :hilarious:

• Like Like x 9
  8. cold ethyl

cold ethyl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sounds delicious and your BS was ok at 7.2 after all of that.

• Like Like x 4
  9. cold ethyl

Breakfast 1oz cheese as too agitated waiting for GP to phone
    Lunch cheese and leek frittata salad
    Snack soy latte 2 sq dark chocolate
    Dinner slow cooked brisket with broccoli, few peas, few carrots and swede done in the gravy and 1/2 potato croquette.

• Like Like x 8
  10. pavlovsdog

pavlovsdog Type 2 · Well-Known Member

B: 2 coffees with cream
    No brekkie or lunch as I forgot and was out shopping :-o
    Berries with cream and yoghurt when I got in at 4pm
    D: just had scrambled egg and 2 rashers of bacon
    Probably have yoghurt etc again as I'm still a bit hungry

• Like Like x 6
    #5670 pavlovsdog, Jan 28, 2015 at 8:34 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015
  11. Weird Science

Weird Science Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Had my healthiest breakfast for ages thanks to my lovely misses

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1422477684.858508.jpg

Lunch bacon mushrooms and small piece of cheese
    Dinner vegetable stir fry
    Pudding small fat bomb
    BG has been 6.3 all day, let's see how long I can keep this up for :)

• Like Like x 15
  12. poshtotty

poshtotty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, delicious. BS now 5.7.

You seem to have some delicious meals too and a lovely sounding deli.

Hope you are feeling better

• Like Like x 4
  13. cold ethyl

Thank you. The deli is lovely - just wish I could tuck into one of the crusty baguettes.

• Like Like x 4
  14. DeejayR

DeejayR Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

B: scrambled egg, mushroom, tomato, chorizo (bit OTT , very spicy for that time of day :***:
    L: experimenting with barley ... thick soup with half-in-half whole grain and onion and celery in chicken stock and the magic ingredient (amontillado). No spike, so that's good ... I'll use it instead of rice next time with a curry. Soaked the barley for a couple of hours first in a thermos of hot water
    D: Cauliflower cheese using cream cheese, bacon & mushroom for the sauce with grated cheddar & tomatoes on top. Followed by the last of my Christmas 90% chocolate bar
    Snack in the bath: decaff coffee w/cream and a Babybel

• Like Like x 12
  15. Hedonista

Hedonista Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Breakfast : greek yogurt and berries.
    Lunch : Undyed smoked haddock with two poached eggs - delicious!
    Dinner : Vegetable soup - basically emptied the fridge into a big wok, with garlic, soy sauce and a spoonful of peanut butter. Was delicious but not filling so I also ate some cheese with a bit of chilli pickle.

• Like Like x 10
  16. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

Oooh, that sounds nice ☺ will have to try it. Have been trying more different foods lately.....

• Like Like x 4
  17. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

I find slicing the fresh bread and then freezing it helps prevent me from going silly with it - cos I do so love my bread and butter....

• Like Like x 2
  18. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

Hope your eyes are feeling OK now and doctor's drops are working....

• Like Like x 2
  19. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

It's hard when a friend has gone to all that effort - it sounds like it was tasty but your tum no longer used to all the carbs and quantity......glad be was soon down to "normal" levels

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

My muesli style porridge for brekky using soya milk and TSP of gingerbread flavour skinny syrup
    Lunch, ERM, ah, yes caulicheese burgers and sprouts
    Tea stew / casserole but left some of the potatoes
    Snacks - handful of nuts & fruit, 2nd half of cheese and onion Boxer Chips, one chicken style burger (no bun) as I'd got pkt out of freezer for tea but friend already made stew - cooked all 4 when I got home and gave 3 to house dogs
    Started and ended day on 4.9

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook