What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mmmm, thought I'd replied - maybe it is left lurking on the phone App and didn't send. Love your Life of Brian username btw.

cut yourself some slack about the champagne and wedding cake - weddings don't come around every day of the week - and it sounds like you paid the price :hungover::hungover::hungover: - and the dessert too taught you that your body doesn't like it so as you say, not doing that again. You kept low carb the rest of the time so well done there - can't be easy on holiday when you aren't doing your own cooking

Don't know what halloumi is but the rest of your food was great :playful:

Thanks! Halloumi is an AWESOME Cypriot sheep's cheese. It needs to be cooked eg grilled / bbq'd,
for the best effect. It's lovely and salty.

Re being on holiday - one of the things I love about low carbing is that if I pick the restaurant well (basically avoiding pizza/pasta joints mainly) I find it quite easy to eat out. Tapas is my favourite as so easy just to order low carb plates. Other places I just ask for extra veg in place of the potatoes. If the restaurant does a side order of cauli cheese I'm in heaven.

Reactions: 6 people

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although having said that re pizza - I always hated my husbands's favourite takeaway pizza place as the pizza was so doughy with such think toppings. However the thick toppings have become a virtue - a couple of times for dinner I've ordered a pizza and just lifted off the topping and eaten it (it comes off in one piece sort of like its own sub-pizza, such is the inauthentic nature of this pizza) and it has been delicious.

Reactions: 10 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I'm ok with the one slice for breakfast but my testing does tell me if I've cut it a little too thickly. The roll was one of the tiny ones about 4inches/10cms long and I only had half of one. I've found I can't eat two slices of bread/toast in one sitting but one breakfast and one lunch would be ok as my body has by then dealt with the first one. By ok, I mean a rise of less than 2 from pre to post readings. Lots of butter does seem to help greatly ;)
I am definitely going to let myself have a small spelt slice, now and again, like ColdEthel does then... :) I used to make my own spelt and rye bread before - I shall start again... my bread-maker will be out as soon as I get back from Riyadh... :) I did read on here that carbs taken with all the other stuff helps slow down the absorption... cool... :cool::)

Reactions: 4 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Thanks! Halloumi is an AWESOME Cypriot sheep's cheese. It needs to be cooked eg grilled / bbq'd,

Re being on holiday - one of the things I love about low carbing is that if I pick the restaurant well (basically avoiding pizza/pasta joints mainly) I find it quite easy to eat out. Tapas is my favourite as so easy just to order low carb plates. Other places I just ask for extra veg in place of the potatoes. If the restaurant does a side order of cauli cheese I'm in heaven.
Halloumi is heaven... squeaky cheese.. :) cooked in a dry frying pan really hot and fast... lovely... you have to eat it while it's soft though, or it's not the same...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Still not nice but lots of relief that its nothing 'serious' apart from not being able to see too well. Those drops sting like mad when they put them in to open your eye up don't they......
They do sting! But such a relief... I still have huge pupils hours later.... When we were driving back to the hotel every time the sun caught a piece of chrome it was like a fireworks display... :) I'm still struggling to see properly... The doc gave me Systane drops - she says I can use them up to 4 times a day for at least a month...

Reactions: 2 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not a good day food wise

B - my usual Greek yoghurt with a mixture of frozen berries and fresh strawberries, sprinkled with flaked almonds. Coffee with cream

L - My lovely, gentle, kind, generous Hindu friend invited me to her home for a home-cooked Indian lunch. Everything was served up by her, not at the table so I couldn't help myself to small portions of the carby stuff and there was a lot.

Starter was spiced potato patties with salad and yoghurt dressing
Main was spiced pulled lamb with vegetable curried rice, poppadoms and pitta bread....:( I declined the pitta bread but couldn't really refuse anything else already on my plate
Dessert was crushed mango and fruit salad with single cream :arghh:

Washed down with a single glass of Prosecco for me, and 2 for her

BS = 12.4 at their worst. My tummy is still very sore and I'm drinking hot water with fresh ginger to try and soothe it.

EDIT by 2.5 hours BS had dropped to 7.2. Phew!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Although having said that re pizza - I always hated my husbands's favourite takeaway pizza place as the pizza was so doughy with such think toppings. However the thick toppings have become a virtue - a couple of times for dinner I've ordered a pizza and just lifted off the topping and eaten it (it comes off in one piece sort of like its own sub-pizza, such is the inauthentic nature of this pizza) and it has been delicious.

I love the topping only pizza trick, also can be done with calzone style pizza. Before diagnosis, our favourite Saturday night meal was an ASDA create your own pizza, plus garlic bread. Would always save a slice and have with beans for breakfast. I found it so hard to break this habit but have got around it by scraping the topping off and I don't really miss the bread. I have it with lashings of salad, olives and mayo Sometimes I still save a slice but have it at sunday lunch then go for a nice long walk after!

I also remember years and years ago when Atkins was all the rage, sitting next to a guy at the pizza hut all you can eat buffet lunch. He literally got himself a dozen slices of pizza, scraped off the topping and wolfed it down. He was left with a pile of bare pizza slices on his plate and it was very amusing to watch, we laughed about it for ages after but I never thought that would be me one day! I do try to exercise a little more self control than he did though! :hilarious:

Reactions: 9 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a good day food wise

B - my usual Greek yoghurt with a mixture of frozen berries and fresh strawberries, sprinkled with flaked almonds. Coffee with cream

L - My lovely, gentle, kind, generous Hindu friend invited me to her home for a home-cooked Indian lunch. Everything was served up by her, not at the table so I couldn't help myself to small portions of the carby stuff and there was a lot.

Main was spiced pulled lamb with vegetable curried rice, poppadoms and pitta bread....:( I declined the pitta bread but couldn't really refuse anything else already on my plate

BS = 12.4 at their worst. My tummy is still very sore and I'm drinking hot water with fresh ginger to try and soothe it.

Sounds delicious and your BS was ok at 7.2 after all of that.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast 1oz cheese as too agitated waiting for GP to phone
Lunch cheese and leek frittata salad
Snack soy latte 2 sq dark chocolate
Dinner slow cooked brisket with broccoli, few peas, few carrots and swede done in the gravy and 1/2 potato croquette.

Reactions: 8 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
B: 2 coffees with cream
No brekkie or lunch as I forgot and was out shopping :-o
Berries with cream and yoghurt when I got in at 4pm
D: just had scrambled egg and 2 rashers of bacon
Probably have yoghurt etc again as I'm still a bit hungry

Last edited by a moderator:

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Had my healthiest breakfast for ages thanks to my lovely misses

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1422477684.858508.jpg

Lunch bacon mushrooms and small piece of cheese
Dinner vegetable stir fry
Pudding small fat bomb
BG has been 6.3 all day, let's see how long I can keep this up for :)

Reactions: 15 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, delicious. BS now 5.7.

You seem to have some delicious meals too and a lovely sounding deli.

Hope you are feeling better

Thank you. The deli is lovely - just wish I could tuck into one of the crusty baguettes.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B: scrambled egg, mushroom, tomato, chorizo (bit OTT , very spicy for that time of day :***:
L: experimenting with barley ... thick soup with half-in-half whole grain and onion and celery in chicken stock and the magic ingredient (amontillado). No spike, so that's good ... I'll use it instead of rice next time with a curry. Soaked the barley for a couple of hours first in a thermos of hot water
D: Cauliflower cheese using cream cheese, bacon & mushroom for the sauce with grated cheddar & tomatoes on top. Followed by the last of my Christmas 90% chocolate bar
Snack in the bath: decaff coffee w/cream and a Babybel

Reactions: 12 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast : greek yogurt and berries.
Lunch : Undyed smoked haddock with two poached eggs - delicious!
Dinner : Vegetable soup - basically emptied the fridge into a big wok, with garlic, soy sauce and a spoonful of peanut butter. Was delicious but not filling so I also ate some cheese with a bit of chilli pickle.

Reactions: 10 people
S

Sable_Jan

Oooh, that sounds nice ☺ will have to try it. Have been trying more different foods lately.....

S

Sable_Jan

I am definitely going to let myself have a small spelt slice, now and again, like ColdEthel does then... :) I used to make my own spelt and rye bread before - I shall start again... my bread-maker will be out as soon as I get back from Riyadh... :) I did read on here that carbs taken with all the other stuff helps slow down the absorption... cool... :cool::)
I find slicing the fresh bread and then freezing it helps prevent me from going silly with it - cos I do so love my bread and butter....

S

Sable_Jan

They do sting! But such a relief... I still have huge pupils hours later.... When we were driving back to the hotel every time the sun caught a piece of chrome it was like a fireworks display... :) I'm still struggling to see properly... The doc gave me Systane drops - she says I can use them up to 4 times a day for at least a month...
Hope your eyes are feeling OK now and doctor's drops are working....

S

Sable_Jan

Not a good day food wise

It's hard when a friend has gone to all that effort - it sounds like it was tasty but your tum no longer used to all the carbs and quantity......glad be was soon down to "normal" levels

S

Sable_Jan

My muesli style porridge for brekky using soya milk and TSP of gingerbread flavour skinny syrup
Lunch, ERM, ah, yes caulicheese burgers and sprouts
Tea stew / casserole but left some of the potatoes
Snacks - handful of nuts & fruit, 2nd half of cheese and onion Boxer Chips, one chicken style burger (no bun) as I'd got pkt out of freezer for tea but friend already made stew - cooked all 4 when I got home and gave 3 to house dogs
Started and ended day on 4.9

Status
Not open for further replies.