What is Plasma Glucose Level

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a blood test yesterday and noticed on the form that there were 2 tests asked for. I asked the nurse who did the test and she said that they were both from the same blood sample but that was all she knew!!
I have just been online and found my result which was down as Plasma Glucose Level 5.6 mmol/l and the normal range is 4-8 . Now I've looked online and all I can find is a fasting plasma glucose test which I have notice is a separate test under my medical tests online.Can anyone enlighten me please?

(My HbA1c is not up online yet so I will have to wait to find out what that is. Since my last tests I have been taking Amla - an Indian herbal remedy (a powdered fruit) for which there were great research papers on it so I want to see if it is worth me continuing it. Actually I have also been taking Berberis Aristica but instinctively I feel better about the Amla . Once I get my HbA1c results and if they are better than last time I will drop the Berberis and then I will know. My fasting levels have been better except the last week or so when I started a new batch of strips and as usual tested one of the old ones versus one of the new ones so I would know where I was. I did this twice and both times the new batch was 0.8 higher!!! The last couple or so of batches were the more or less the same.)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I had a blood test yesterday and noticed on the form that there were 2 tests asked for. I asked the nurse who did the test and she said that they were both from the same blood sample but that was all she knew!!
I have just been online and found my result which was down as Plasma Glucose Level 5.6 mmol/l and the normal range is 4-8 . Now I've looked online and all I can find is a fasting plasma glucose test which I have notice is a separate test under my medical tests online.Can anyone enlighten me please?

(My HbA1c is not up online yet so I will have to wait to find out what that is. Since my last tests I have been taking Amla - an Indian herbal remedy (a powdered fruit) for which there were great research papers on it so I want to see if it is worth me continuing it. Actually I have also been taking Berberis Aristica but instinctively I feel better about the Amla . Once I get my HbA1c results and if they are better than last time I will drop the Berberis and then I will know. My fasting levels have been better except the last week or so when I started a new batch of strips and as usual tested one of the old ones versus one of the new ones so I would know where I was. I did this twice and both times the new batch was 0.8 higher!!! The last couple or so of batches were the more or less the same.)

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-plasma-glucose.htm

I think it's basically the same as a normal blood glucose test that you'd get from a glucometer.... 5.6 sounds totally normal to me, though if it was a fasting test you might prefer it to be a tiny bit lower....

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-plasma-glucose.htm

I think it's basically the same as a normal blood glucose test that you'd get from a glucometer.... 5.6 sounds totally normal to me, though if it was a fasting test you might prefer it to be a tiny bit lower....

Well that was taken about 3.5 hours after my lunch so that is acceptable to me. My fasting numbers are in the 6's , I think because of my poor sleep pattern as I wake every 2 hours and then go back to sleep. Have done since menopause 15 years ago which was about when the inherited type 2 emerged and HBP!!!!