What is the hardest part of coping with diabetes?

Unbeliever

have just seen Shygirl's description of her clinic as "kafkaesque". Overall that is a wonderful description of my llife after diagnosis.

C

chris lowe

I accepted the fact I was T2 as soon as I was diagnosed and saw it as an opportunity to alter my lifestyle with more exercise, better diet etc. What I find hard is buying sweet things for the rest of the family which I can't have (well I could but make a choice not to)
Although I know I'm keeping my bg under control I do wonder if I am doing enough as I see the nurse every 6 months and have to wait and see what her verdict is.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
The fear of Hypos and ketones - both are a constant source of worry to me and are always there at the back of my mind. It's such a hard balancing act a times to get those blood sugars right!

Bubblezzz

Having just been diagnosed 3 weeks ago, I am not sure if I know what "the hardest part" is yet. Just wanted to say that I really feel for those of you who are caregivers and cannot imagine the commitment and love it takes to constantly manage a disease that seems so demanding.

I think I am still coming to grips with my condition. :?

seakat

THE HARDEST THING AT THE MO, FOR ME ,IS GETTING MY DOSES AND BLOOD COUNTS RIGHT . I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH TYPE1 SINCE AUGUST, I WASN'T DIABETIC BEFORE! JUST WHEN I THINK I MIGHT BE "CRACKING IT" THE HYPOS COME THICK AND FAST! MY NURSE GIVES ME LISTS OF THINGS THAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THEM AND I DO MY BEST TO AVOID THOSE SCENARIOS BUT THERE ARE TIMES WHEN I JUST WANT TO HAVE A GOOD CRY.....OR SWEAR!
mUSTN'T GIVE IN TO IT THOUGH, GIVE IN AND GO UNDER!
mY NAME IS PAM AND I'M DIABETIC, NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND!

emmamadi

My son has type 1 and he is aged 3. I think apart from all the past year has brought for us emotionally and physically, the hardest thing for us to cope with was injecting him at aged 2, when he would run away screaming from me (his beloved mummy!) and then lately after he has gone on a pump. He has emla cream for site changes, but when we have has to do them quickly due to a block in the pipe and no chance to put on the emla, the scream that came from him made me cry so much and I felt terrible that I'd hurt him so much. That introducer needle is big :shock: ! I think he is amazing and copes so well with all that type 1 involves.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Emmamadi, I think the worst part of coping with diabetes, the thing that really makes me hate the blessed condition, is nothing to do with my Type 2, but is knowing what the Type 1 children and their parents have to go through.

I just wish I could wave a magic wand and make things right for you.

Viv 8)

velcrohead

I think the hardest part of coping with diabetes is the coping with it, no breaks from it, no holidays from it, no days off from it, no giving it to someone else while you go out, etc, etc, etc.

Ausra

The hardest part must be that there is no cure for it and even if there will be one I will be pretty damaged by then to come back to normal life.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Emmamadi,

Children are strong. Stronger than us. Remember that! I have young nephews and nieces. I hope to God they don't inherit this. But if they do, I know they'll cope. Your son will cope and thrive.

Take care.

Smidge

miss_lady_pink

kellyrae are you type 1 or 2 at ur age im the same age and am trying to find someone who has had a child with diabetes and want some advice. pm me if u would like to help

Carla

My mother suffers from Type 1 insulin dependent diabetes - she has never really coped well. When I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I felt it was the end of the world. I live in dread of insulin needles. I worry perhaps a little too much when my Bm is higher than 7 - and I'm constantly trying to keep on top of my own condition without having the extra worry of having to keep a close eye on Mother, now in her late 70's and still not coping. Her attitude is that I should understand how she feels and be more symptathetic. I've learned that in the end, the only person I can blame when things go wrong, is myself.

CHESkb

I agree with much of Anna29's comment. Also, I think it's hard that it is chronic! It just doesn't go away even if you're mad or upset or stressed - in fact it often gets worse in those circumstances I think. It's always going to be there, so you never get a break from managing it.
Boo!

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Going through the same normal experiences but as a Diabetic. For example, my annual work pub crawl, my beach holiday, my exercise classes, next week is my birthday party. Being sensitive to carbs, insulin, changes in glucose levels. I can literally feel glucose levels change in my body throughout the day, although the feeling is diminishing and less frequent. The Diabetic healthcare support is over stretched and although my Diabetic team is supportive, I am learning far more from this forum, reading certain books, blogs, tweeters.

Over all the hardest part is being patient.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
viviennem said:
Emmamadi, I think the worst part of coping with diabetes, the thing that really makes me hate the blessed condition, is nothing to do with my Type 2, but is knowing what the Type 1 children and their parents have to go through.

I just wish I could wave a magic wand and make things right for you.

Viv 8)
I couldn't agree more there Viv!! I would rather take 100 injections a day if it meant that one of my kiddies didn't have to! i wish I could magic it away for the kiddies and their parents too! :cry:

carolynjw

I'm sorry I am going to sound so negative but I find diabetes a real struggle.....

I am type 2 but take insulin. I am overweight but cannot lose weight regardless of what diet I follow :(

I eat loads of veg and fruit - in fact, people often comment on how healthy my diet is. However, when I feel really down, I can find it difficult not to succumb to an unhealthy sugar rush.

My husband doesn't eat much adn cannot understand that I need to eat regularly. My 16 yr old son thinks I am lazy as I am so tired :(

I work a 37 hour week and volunteer approx 15 hours a week, am an insomniac and I am just fed up of filling my body with chemicals which don't seem to make any difference :?

Sorry guys :crazy:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Carolyn,
there has to be a reason for being tired like you are and the fact you can't loose weight.
So have you looked into non diabetic reasons, as in perhaps you have an under active thyroid? A simple blood test from your GP will sort this problem out for you if that's the reason.
What insulin are you on? If it's a mixed insulin then perhaps ask that you be changed to basal
/bolus. This then means you do not need to feed the insulin. You can then eat as much or as little as you want with no need to snack either.

Best wishes
CR

carolynjw

thanks for your reply CR. I have had my thyroid tested and it is fine. I have B12 injections. My GP has referred me to the hospital for a sleep study.

I am taking Novorapid (3x40 a day) and levemir (2x150 a day) and my hba1c is 8.5 :crazy:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
carolynjw said:
thanks for your reply CR. I have had my thyroid tested and it is fine. I have B12 injections. My GP has referred me to the hospital for a sleep study.

I am taking Novorapid (3x40 a day) and levemir (2x150 a day) and my hba1c is 8.5 :crazy:

Glad to hear your GP is proactive in helping you :)
Basicaly though you should not need to keep eating on a basal/bolus routine. Perhaps doing some basal testing and seeing what your basal needs are then work on your carb ratio. Counting carbs is very important when using basal/bolus and if you can get down the amount of insulin you use this will help with your weight situation as well.