What Is The Most Accurate BG Machine To Buy For A New T2?

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Good evening, My Gp told me NOT to play with BG machines as new diabetics just test every 10 minutes and confuse them bloody selves (her word). I only joined here yesterday and can see I should be testing heavily for a while so as to see what foods kick off high BG readings. Can anyone help me decide what machine to buy please? My main feature choice would be accuracy (read that paramedics carry an accu chek but which one). I'd like to be able to record data on my itouch or pc with notes if possible such as what I'd eaten. What sundries will I have to buy, the strips seem dear don't they? - appreciate the help. Oh, I don't take any meds - hba1c started at 71 then 58 then 43. Haven't got a scooby about what a low carb GI diet is, how I managed to get these scores to come down is but by the grace of God, kind wishes to all, Q..

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: What Is The Most Accurate BG Machine To Buy For A New T2

For accuracy I like the Bayer contour next usb, contour XT the Abbott Medisense freestyle lite, you should be able to get these meters free from the suppliers if you regularly test.

I like the Bayer software the best (download the full program), I found these meters gives close results to each other. I don't know how much Bayer charge for strips if you go direct to them, though have seen reports that Abbot charge around £15 direct from themselves though you need to ring to confirm. On another diabetes website they sell the strips for £16.99 for 50 post free.

If you want to go techy with a touch screen there' the Abbott Medisense Insulinx meter (free to insulin users) or you can buy it for £15-50 post free from the same site that sells the strips for £16-99. You will need to use a PC to enable some of the function on this meter and down load the latest version software.

If you want cheaper options for strip options there's the SD code free, but reports says it reads about 1.0 high, not used it so can't comment on the software. Then there the supercheck2 system, I have had a play with their software, compared to the big boys its basic, though you can export the data to excel spread sheet format.

The Ambulance crews around me use the Bayer contour meters.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only

I bought a Medisana from Boots and it compares well with the lab test bloods taken at my GP's surgery, only about +0.1 to +0.2 difference. The running costs aren't as bad as some meters if I buy test strips from Amazon, but still a bit spendy. Code Free is cheap but some people say it reads high. Bayer Contour is supposedly very accurate as it reads 7 times before giving you the result but strips are expensive. All finger stick meters can give variable results. If you take 3 readings in a row, you might find a difference of up to 1.0 between the lowest and the highest, and you'll rarely get the exact same reading twice. Just go with the first reading and consider it as a guide to spot trends rather than place absolute faith in the number.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).

Thanks again JANECEE..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

slimtony

Hi,

Of all the meters I've tried, my Accu-check Compact Plus is probably the most accurate. The Bayer Contour would probably come in a close second (the Contour's strips are a little cheaper than the Accu-check's if you're balancing cost/accuracy).

The least accurate meter I've tried is the Optium Xceed. The best thing I can say about it is that it was compact, so it didn't take up too much space in the bin. :twisted:

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy

The iBGStar is great now only £24 at Boots and at £20 for 50 (a little less if you can find them on eBay) is comparable and best of all it plugs into your iPhone or iPod which holds the best app I think of them all.

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

If you believe the marketing guff, the MyLife Pura claims to be the most accurate. The strips are apparently cheap too, although I'm a T1 so don't buy mine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

I'm a T2 of 10 years and use a Freestyle Lite. It's quoted level of accuracy is high and I believe it is now recommended by Dr. Bernstein himself. Buying the test strips direct from Abbott Diabetes Care, keeps the cost down a bit. It isn't a "bells and whistles" meter. Pretty bsic, but gives all the essential info. Needs a pn point size blood drop; and for those who feel the need, will hook up to a computer. I don't bother with that. It's small, neat, fast and effective. I don't need it to get up and dance a jig
Hana