1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What is the relationship between blood pressure and diabetes?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by HICHAM_T2, Nov 23, 2018.

1. HICHAM_T2

HICHAM_T2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

Many diabetics complain of high blood pressure and of course this is not a coincidence what is the secret of that
    I hope someone adds to me any information thanks

2. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not sure why no body has jumped here but I will answer your question:
    Poor glucose management and hypertension are linked as part of metabolic syndrome.
    When the kidneys retain too much fluid in repsonse to a high carb diet this causers high blood pressure.
    Often when people eat less carbohydrate they find their blood pressure drops which is why it ts advisable to check with our doctor re medications for hypertension before staring a new dietary regaime And to eat a little salt to help retain fluid as your body adjusts in the first few weeks of said diet.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Yes, high blood pressure, high triglyceride levels with low HDL, and T2 diabetes are all part of having metabolic syndrome.

Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of conditions — increased blood pressure, high blood sugar, excess body fat around the waist, and abnormal cholesterol or triglyceride levels — that occur together, increasing your risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/metabolic-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20351916

It isn't the case for everyone. I have T2 diabetes but have never had high blood pressure nor high triglycerides, and my HDL has always been ideal. One size does not fit all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Vessels under more pressure due to severe fluctuations to feed the heart enough blood to be pumped.
    Poor circulation.

Walking is great for cholesterol hiccups and circulation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. HICHAM_T2

HICHAM_T2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

thank you all me too i dont have high blood pressure

6. tayelola

tayelola Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Someone told me that HBP and Diabetes are twin brothers. Though yours truly was diagnosed of hbp Oct. 1994, the twin brother did not show up until 2012.

7. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I note that many of us are prescribed or offered particular classes of anti-hypertensive medications as a means to delay any progression towards diabetic kidney disease. I understand that high blood pressure can out stress on one's kidneys and contribute to them failing.

8. Dexterdobe

Dexterdobe Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Overweight and unfit people are more prone to all sorts of medical issues including diabetes and high blood pressure. If we control our diabetes through good diet and exercise, we tend to lower our blood pressure too. I got all sorts of benefits including lower blood pressure, improved irritable bowel and atrial fibrillation. The only drawback is that I have more wrinkles, but I can live with that:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook