1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

what is your bedtime sugar level?

Discussion in 'Type 2 with Insulin' started by IJL_Glos, Oct 27, 2016.

1. IJL_Glos

IJL_Glos Type 2 · Newbie

My diabetes consultant advised me me to keep my bedtime blood sugar level above 9.0, but this means that in the morning it is still around 8.5
    I usually have a light snack around 8pm and measure my bedtime level around 10pm.
    My long term level hba1c level is 55/7.1, so my T2 diabetes is well controlled by the humalog & lantus insulin, but I'd like to reduce the hba1c level to the ideal range.
    What bedtime/morning readings do others have & any suggestions for getting the morning level down without the risk of a nightime hypo?

• Like Like x 1
  2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

A 0,5mmol/l difference between your bedtime and waking bg levels is good and means your basal insulin (lantus) is pretty much spot-on. Is there a reason why your consultant wants you to keep above 9, have you suffered from nocturnal hypo's before or are you hypo unaware?

3. shivles

shivles · Well-Known Member

For my T1 daughter if she is below 6 she gets a biscuit

4. IJL_Glos

IJL_Glos Type 2 · Newbie

I usually know when a hypo is happening because I start sweating & feeling wobbly, so I can sort this out with glucose tablets & a biscuit or sandwich. I've never had a night time hypo

5. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Usually around 5 BUT I am very OCD about both jnaulin and my diet. I wake in the same territory.

6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Right, not sure why the consultant wants you to go to bed with higher bg levels, maybe ask them next time you see them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

For me getting it bang on 5.5 is always my goal, if its a tad higher I wont correct of course....

its all about whether your basal is right overnight and how paranoid you have become over the years with hypos....some folk are paranoid, and for good reason, and others are not.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mep

Mep Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My endo wants me >8 before bed so that's what I aim for. It usually works well. Sometimes I get hypos during the night still though. I had one last night that I didn't wake up to treat. But I know the hypo hangover feeling and my sugar was 10.6 this morning which is the highest morning reading I've had in a while. I haven't had a night time hypo for a while mind you.

9. tinyfilosofer

tinyfilosofer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I drop by 3 overnight so I keep a min of 8 as well. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SWUSA_

SWUSA_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@IJL_Glos I keep mine at 6.5 (117 mg/dl in the USA) or above at bedtime and wake to 4.8 to 6.2-(usually in the mid 5.4 to 6.1 range for last two weeks). I have only had one night time low below 3.8 that I know of-last week-it scared me and woke me up in a panic but I had a quick rise in BG with cereal bar and milk.
    How cute the two of them are!

11. chewy22

chewy22 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mine was 7.0 type 2 this morning 5.8 lowest it's been in a very long time.

12. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Are you on insulin?

13. midschick1

midschick1 Type 2 · Member

Mine last night was 9.9 and this morning 6.1 this is an average for me and I have lost half a stone in the last 5 weeks.

14. Farrowlily

Farrowlily Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi midschik I know your type 2 are you on insulin how have you achieved this I'm try ing to loose a bit but have had a couple of hypos

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook