What is your latest cholesterol level?

Max68

I haven't had my cholesterol measured in 2 years, and I don't intend to have it tested in future.

The last time was just after a one off birthday meal blowout, of prawn cocktail, a massive steak, chips and a large icecream sundae.

At the test, 18 hours later, the trigs were 3 x higher than usual after all the chips and icecream. lol.

That was enough to confirm in my mind that not only is the cholesterol test misleading because of the fluctuations that come from recent food intake (especially if those carbs are not usually part of your intake). It was also enough for me to decide not to give health care professionals any unnecessary ammunition to make assumptions and try and push statins.

Interesting you say that. Got my cholesterol down to 5 from 5.6 couple of weeks back but my T'gs have gone up to 6.9 but it was an Hba1c test so not fasting and they didn't say they were going to do a full bloods. I can remember last year they were 8.2 so had another test only 3 weeks later and they were 2.5 which was surprising. I'm talking to GP again re my rising hba1c on Monday and will mention what a lot of you say about statins. I find it interesting doctors talk a lot about cholesterol but never mention calcium score when it comes to arteries!

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My total cholesterol around 12 years ago when I was following the Eatwell Plate recommendations was 7.9.

My subsequent ones whilst following carb have reduced to around 6.5.

My most recent one whilst following keto for a month, which for me has meant <30g carbs and >100g fat, was 4.9. This was non fasting (the previous ones were all fasting ones) and I have never taken statins. The fat I consumed was mainly from butter, cream, cheese, nuts, lard and coconut.

Last edited: