1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What is your latest cholesterol level?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Tannith, Jan 29, 2021.

1. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The important ratio is total cholesterol/HDL.
    The number should be less than 4.
    Your ratio is 2.72.
    You are well within healthy limits and in my biased opinion you should consider reducing or stopping the statins!

My results below in a separate post.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

In which case the Trig/HDL ratio is important ideally it should be below 1.0 and yours is 1.39/1.76
    which comes out at 0.79 which is excellent.. in your shoes I wouldn't be taking statins at all let alone be thinking about dosage increases.

Edit to add you might want to send this to your doctor

https://www.healtheuropa.eu/ldl-cholesterol-future-cardiovascular-events/92138/

3. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Total cholesterol 6.67
    LDL 4.22
    Trigs 1.2
    HDL 1.9
    Ratio total cholesterol/HDL 3.51

On that basis I am within healthy levels.
    My total cholesterol has been higher in the past.
    Surgery is comfortable with me not taking statins.

BP is good (although I can't see that in the online records).

4. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

Not had them done for a while but at diagnosis to 1 yr later on very low carb, high saturated fats diet and a resulting20kg weight loss as well as remission. No meds. Fasting testing both times. Statins offered initially but not required/pushed, not recommended on retest.

total 7.6 - 5.7 high risk to borderline
    HDL 1.26 - 1.63 low to strong
    LDL 5.05 - 3.7 High risk to average (likely more helpful buoyant not harmful small dense particles as keto favours)
    Trigs 2.8- 0.8 high risk to optimal

total/HDL Ratio 6 - 3.5. at risk to good
    HDL/LDL ratio. 0.25 - 0.4. At risk to ideal
    Trig/HDL ratio. 2.2.- 0.4 High risk to ideal.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Doesn't stop my consultants offering them to me like Smarties. I point out my ratios, being female, not overweight, no high bp etc. and ask for a calcium scan if they need to be sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Europa

Europa Type 2 · Member

Thank you all, i had thought i wasn’t doing too bad (all thanks to the info on this site). I’m in Paris so that i doubt my doctor will read documents in English but i’ll read them!
    . I’ll try and convince him that even though i’m 65, overweight, diabetic (A1C at 6.1%), i can come off statins. Otherwise i’ll just not take them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

After lots of reading I decided a few years go that I am not getting my cholesterol tested again, since I won’t take statins and what I’m eating is keeping my blood sugar in non diabetic levels.
    I think my blood glucose levels are much more important. Healthy numbers keep my inflammation low and I feel good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    #27 Hotpepper20000, Jan 30, 2021 at 7:32 PM
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  8. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Total for me is 7 ('too high' according to the GP whom I ignore in this instance), HDL 2.5, Trigs 0.5 and LDL 4 ish.

9. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

I recently had my hb1ac and only because I asked to see the form did I discover they were intending to do a (non fasting) cholesterol without even telling me as well as the usual liver kidney tests. I asked them to reprint the form as I didn’t consent to the cholesterol without fasting first. The nurse was surprised but did so and was interested in chatting politely about my reasoning.

Next time I’ll go fasted as it appears this is a new direction to always do cholesterol and the full panel with hb1ac, even though normally the full work up is only annual and hb1ac on its own I’ve been managing to get quarterly.

10. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mine was 3.7 with bloods taken a fortnight ago.

11. bulkbiker

Still taking statins?

• Like Like x 1
  12. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

HbA1c 5.1%. Total 4.1 , HDL 1.0, LDL 2.8, TRI 0.7
    12 hours fasted and super hydrated.

To me it seems cholesterol levels are transitory, depending on last meal, fasting time etc. My diet was a ton of salmon, eggs, avocados, nuts, added fat was coconut cream, double cream,

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. bulkbiker

Most doctors seem to have forgotten that cholesterol levels are indeed pretty dynamic.. to prescribe medication that lowers something that is essential for life seems quite dangerous to me especially when based on a single snapshot. Even worse when done unfasted so the results are pretty meaningless.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, I did ask why I need to be on them and she said they protect against stroke and heart attack. Ive never had a high cholesterol level I was just put on them!

• Hug Hug x 1
  15. bulkbiker

Love to see the evidence for what she said.. don't you have trouble controlling your blood sugar? Statins have been known to raise it in some people.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

My doctor said the same thing a few years ago.
    I asked the question, isn’t having a A1C is below 38 enough for protection against stroke and heart attack? Also why would I take statins when they are known to raise blood sugar. She had nothing to say in response and for the the last two years I haven’t gotten my Cholesterol checked because I don’t think it is a good measure for health.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #36 Hotpepper20000, Feb 2, 2021 at 8:09 PM
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  17. Countryside_Yoyo_

Countryside_Yoyo_ Prediabetes · Active Member

Total 8.4
    LDL 5.0
    HDL 3.1
    Trigs 0.6

HbA1c between 37 and 40 over the last 5 years.

My cholesterol has risen steadily over the last 5 years that I’ve been doing low carb eating. Mind you, trigs have stayed the same, and most of the rise is my LDL, although my HDL has risen a bit too (it’s super high now but it’s always been high, even pre LCHF)

Initially I was quite bothered about it, and my GP tried to send me down the statins route, but after getting advice from this group and doing my own research I declined them - I also turned down a referral to a lipidologist as if I wouldn’t take statins, what was the point.

FH was ruled out as ive had normal results pre LCHF. Per Dave Feldmans research I believe I’m a hyper-responder.

These last few years I feel better than I have in any time in my adult life, and I’m 59 now. I won’t bother with any repeats of cholesterol tests in future as it might stir the GP to push me on the statins train again, I don’t want the aggro as I’ve made up my mind......if research changes, I’ll maybe change it, but I don’t think it will, in fact opinion is starting to move more in the direction I’m going in anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  18. bulkbiker

With a trig/HDL ratio of 0.194 I think you take the absolute winner title..
    Brilliant well done you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I haven't had my cholesterol measured in 2 years, and I don't intend to have it tested in future.

The last time was just after a one off birthday meal blowout, of prawn cocktail, a massive steak, chips and a large icecream sundae.

At the test, 18 hours later, the trigs were 3 x higher than usual after all the chips and icecream. lol.

That was enough to confirm in my mind that not only is the cholesterol test misleading because of the fluctuations that come from recent food intake (especially if those carbs are not usually part of your intake). It was also enough for me to decide not to give health care professionals any unnecessary ammunition to make assumptions and try and push statins.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. annabell1

annabell1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I just got mine today

Hba1c 6.1

My Total is 6.2
    LDL 4.3
    Trig 1.4

I didn't get my hdl so I say it must be 1.9

Dr wants me back on statins but I can't see how they help when I was on statins yrars ago my trig was high 2.1 makes no sense taking them

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook