What Medication

davidn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm Type 2, my Hba1c has just gone from 54 to 57, my Practice Nurse has said if it goes to 58 they'll change my medication from Metformin to ?
Would anyone have an idea of what they may change it to as I forgot to ask.
Any help would be appreciated as I like to research side effects.

Reactions: kitedoc

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm Type 2, my Hba1c has just gone from 54 to 57, my Practice Nurse has said if it goes to 58 they'll change my medication from Metformin to ?
Would anyone have an idea of what they may change it to as I forgot to ask.
Any help would be appreciated as I like to research side effects.
Hey David,

I'm a little surprised, as your numbers aren't extreme or anything... Diabetic, yes, but not startlingly so. No idea what they'll come up with next, don't think anyone here can say for sure. For me it was gliclazide, but that was because I responded badly to metformin. There's a load of medication out there. Pills, shots...

Have to ask though, seeing as you're "not that bad" when looking at your HbA1c... Have you tried just going the low carb/high fat diet route? I think you'd be in the non-diabetic range (and off metformin) in a relatively short amount of time. Couple of months, maybe weeks? (It is a for life kind of deal though, up the carbs again and your HbA1c will rise again too).

If you're interested, check dietdoctor.com, the low carb recipies on diabetes.co.uk's site, or Dr. Jason Fung's books, especially The Diabetes Code. I think you could gain a lot just by a diet change, and you wouldn't have to worry about side effects... But it's just an idea.

Reactions: HSSS

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
To be fair, we could only guess. It is up to your pr3scriber to decide what to offer in regard to your personal circumstances. My A1c was 98 on diagnosis and I was prescribed Metformin. I applied changes in diet and have managed to avoid stronger medication. A rise from 54 to 57 is not a great leap but for your DN to say that a further point rise would result in stronger meds seems a little arbitrary.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I recall my first diabetes doctor 52 years ago: Always think of diet before medication.

davidn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey David,

I'm a little surprised, as your numbers aren't extreme or anything... Diabetic, yes, but not startlingly so. No idea what they'll come up with next, don't think anyone here can say for sure. For me it was gliclazide, but that was because I responded badly to metformin. There's a load of medication out there. Pills, shots...

Have to ask though, seeing as you're "not that bad" when looking at your HbA1c... Have you tried just going the low carb/high fat diet route? I think you'd be in the non-diabetic range (and off metformin) in a relatively short amount of time. Couple of months, maybe weeks? (It is a for life kind of deal though, up the carbs again and your HbA1c will rise again too).

If you're interested, check dietdoctor.com, the low carb recipies on diabetes.co.uk's site, or Dr. Jason Fung's books, especially The Diabetes Code. I think you could gain a lot just by a diet change, and you wouldn't have to worry about side effects... But it's just an idea.
Thanks, that's good advice

Grazer

I think your DN was using the one point as a threat to get you to whatever they have told you to. As said before, 1 point is neither here nor there. Get on the diet as suggested, and you'll whack many more points than one off the score.
BTW, at a guess I'd say the meds referred to are Gliclazide, a pretty standard 2nd level med.