Type 2 What might I eat gluttonously that won't cause a blood glucose spike?

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Being Scottish I have an extra stomach purely for grazing on grass, very low carb and high fibre lol. Seriously I see nothing wrong with natural sugars in unprocessed foods like fruit. Doesn't do me any harm.

Reactions: 6 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The good news is that nearly all the carbs in cocoa are fibre, and so don't count. Fruit sugar, aka fructose, can be used to sweeten cocoa without spikes. But the anti-fructose people will guilt you into an early grave.

Here it indicates 25% carbs in cocoa,unsweetened dry powder Fifer is 33% for a total of 58% gross carbohydrates. Amounts used are probably not great but are still very significant.

Reactions: 5 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Being Scottish I have an extra stomach purely for grazing on grass, very low carb and high fibre lol. Seriously I see nothing wrong with natural sugars in unprocessed foods like fruit. Doesn't do me any harm.

But to be fair eddie, you inject insulin, so that you can cope with the carbs and natural sugars. Unless of course your body re-routes the natural sugars to the Scottish compartment for efficient dispatch. Re the extra stomach and grass grazing I have a question regarding you possible contribution to the ozone layer......................

Reactions: 7 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
But to be fair eddie, you inject insulin, so that you can cope with the carbs and natural sugars. Unless of course your body re-routes the natural sugars to the Scottish compartment for efficient dispatch. Re the extra stomach and grass grazing I have a question regarding you possible contribution to the ozone layer......................
I would also add Pasha that most fruit does not spike me so no extra insulin required.

Reactions: 4 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would also add Pasha that most fruit does not spike me so no extra insulin required.
That really amazes me, it does show just how very different we all are. May i ask,what does cause you to spike, proteins / some specific vegetables ?

Last edited by a moderator:

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm fine with most vegetables too, except potatoes. Proteins are ok too, love peanuts and peanut butter which are good for my BGs. Only things that make me spike are the usual suspects like cereals and other bad carbohydrates.

alietjez

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since I especially am now unable to turn to food that I find comforting to soothe the sting of a challenge with blood glucose control, I was wondering if there is any tasty ingredient or combination of them available in a refrigerator or pantry in which I can consume in mass quantities until the space of that emotional void feels a little fuller?

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Avocados feel a real treat for me. And I love the fact that they're cheaper than an ice cream!

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes you should definately have a go at making avocado ice cream and then you can let me know if it is nice.

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes you should definately have a go at making avocado ice cream and then you can let me know if it is nice.

All jokes aside, I found the recipe here.

All we have to do is replace the sweetener with stevia or something safe and it might just be worth a go. I'll make it and let you know!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I have wanted to try and make some for awhile now but I havn't quite got around to it :)

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the delights of the avocado for me, is that like an ice cream, it comes pre-packed and demands absolutely no preparation from me, beyond cutting it open and picking up a teaspoon. One of the delights of junk / processed food is that someone else has done all the work. I like the foods where that instant quality comes in the nature of the thing.

jgordon5

I am grateful for your suggestion and your vast knowledge on the right foods for diabetes. I keep kosher, which would definitely preclude any pork products, but if you can think of any other non-pork and non-shellfish related suggestions that would be a great help. I once saw a product called salmon jerky. I bet something like that might be like a pork rind. It is overwhelming to be in this food rehab situation.
When I want to eat 'gluttonously' I have organic edamame beans. I can eat a whole pan full with no effect on BG! I get packets of frozen ones and keep them in the freezer, then I just steam/fry them in a little olive oil and soy sauce. Delicious!

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I want to eat 'gluttonously' I have organic edamame beans. I can eat a whole pan full with no effect on BG! I get packets of frozen ones and keep them in the freezer, then I just steam/fry them in a little olive oil and soy sauce. Delicious!
That's a great tip, which I am going to fulfill today.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And yoghurt. I've been hooked on plain yoghurt for decades, and suspect I could live off it.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cabbage and cheese. (Am I crazy? I love cabbage. It's just the cheese that makes it gluttonous.)

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never heard of edamame beans - where do they come from? I was introduced to Tamari sauce -as a healtheir option to Soy sauce - has anyone tried this instead of Soy?

I'm in the process of learning what I can eat 'gluttonously' - that won't cause a sugar spike. I thought peanut butter on a rice cake would be good - but thanks to some helpful advice -I realised that it was the 3 rice cakes a day keeping my BS high. So today has been a 'no rice cake day' - and BS definitely lower than this time than yesterday.
My tip is to 'blitz' some frozen berries (I use blueberries,/raspberries/blackberries) with some Greek yogurt. I do this in a Nutri bullet -and it comes out like soft ice cream. Otherwise I sometimes treat myself to a bunch of asparagus anad lightly cook in a fry pan with just enough water to cover - delicious hot or cold!!

Reactions: 3 people