Type 2 What might I eat gluttonously that won't cause a blood glucose spike?

jgordon5

I've never heard of edamame beans - where do they come from? I was introduced to Tamari sauce -as a healtheir option to Soy sauce - has anyone tried this instead of Soy?

I'm in the process of learning what I can eat 'gluttonously' - that won't cause a sugar spike. I thought peanut butter on a rice cake would be good - but thanks to some helpful advice -I realised that it was the 3 rice cakes a day keeping my BS high. So today has been a 'no rice cake day' - and BS definitely lower than this time than yesterday.
My tip is to 'blitz' some frozen berries (I use blueberries,/raspberries/blackberries) with some Greek yogurt. I do this in a Nutri bullet -and it comes out like soft ice cream. Otherwise I sometimes treat myself to a bunch of asparagus anad lightly cook in a fry pan with just enough water to cover - delicious hot or cold!!
Edamame beans are fresh soy beans. I get the organic ones still in their pods - they are virtually a complete protein.
Yes, I use Tamari sauce and Miso, again organic because otherwise they're heavily sprayed and could be GM.

Reactions: 2 people

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I keep baby carrots, fish sticks, chicken and cheese for when I n eed to snack

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's very helpful - thanks. I'm planning a trip to our local health food shop as I'm told they have some great things - and someone's suggested I try rice crackers -but am cautious in case they have the same effect as rice cakes.
Since I've cut out the rice cakes, I've had several BG readings of 6.2 - 6.3. So that's encouraging. I suppose it's a case of try and see!!

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... rice crackers ... rice cakes. ...

Read the small print on the side of the packet (carbs per 100g and per item), but I'd expect processed foods made from rice to be as bad and worse than straightforward rice. The processing makes it faster to digest, so the carb effect would come on quicker, wouldn't it?

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Read the small print on the side of the packet (carbs per 100g and per item), but I'd expect processed foods made from rice to be as bad and worse than straightforward rice. The processing makes it faster to digest, so the carb effect would come on quicker, wouldn't it?
Thanks for that advice I'll check carefully!!! I ordered the GI and GL counter book by Dr Wynnie Chan and it arrived this morning - interesting to see that plain popcorn is low GI and GL - has anyone tried this?

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that advice I'll check carefully!!! I ordered the GI and GL counter book by Dr Wynnie Chan and it arrived this morning - interesting to see that plain popcorn is low GI and GL - has anyone tried this?
I'm avoiding corn in any form - too high carbs for me to want to be tempted. I'm not the sort who can limit themselves to even just a small handful! And with neither sugar nor salt, it's going to be pretty tasteless, I'd have thought.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm avoiding corn in any form - too high carbs for me to want to be tempted. I'm not the sort who can limit themselves to even just a small handful! And with neither sugar nor salt, it's going to be pretty tasteless, I'd have thought.

Oh, yes, 74g carbs/100g, but a handful is quite light, I guess. Does it go with butter?

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Much the same as others here....

A slice of ham , slice of cheese wrapped in lettuce leaf.........

Fish Sticks

Fage Total full fat greek yogurt or tescos own (tescos comes in a nice little four pack) :)

Jerky

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Much the same as others here.... full fat greek yogurt or tescos own (tescos comes in a nice little four pack) ...

Individual plain Greek yoghurt is what I need! I'm an over-eater, and you can imagine what happens when I have a large container of the stuff in the house!

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Much the same as others here....

A slice of ham , slice of cheese wrapped in lettuce leaf.........

Fish Sticks

Fage Total full fat greek yogurt or tescos own (tescos comes in a nice little four pack) :)

Jerky
I bought beef jerky after reading this, but the carbs are quite high. What make do you buy please?

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought beef jerky after reading this, but the carbs are quite high. What make do you buy please?

Cruga Biltong from tesco(or Amazon) , about 3g of carbs per 100g and as the pack is only 40g, hardly any

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cruga Biltong from tesco(or Amazon) , about 3g of carbs per 100g and as the pack is only 40g, hardly any
Thanks
I have Wild West from Sainsburys.
Pack is 85g and carbs are 21.5g per 100g so a lot higher!

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A friend of mine makes excellent Jerky products, these are my snack of choice. As seen on Dragons Den

http://cowleysfinefood.com/

He's just got a Biltong oven so should be stocking Biltong soon

jodielou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I definitely turn to a slice of cheese or two when I've got some serious hunger cravings but I also agree with the water idea, drinking a pint of water also helps get rid of hunger cravings because half the time its more dehydration!

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone eat melon freely?
As it's mostly water I'm assuming it's OK?

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone eat melon freely?
As it's mostly water I'm assuming it's OK?

I used to eat quite a lot of fruit - breakfast, lunch and as a snack food. I've got a list of carb contents of all my normal foods stuck up on the kitchen wall, and it's made me stop and think twice about ALL fruit. I realise i have to stop seeing it as so 'good' for me.

Melon, grapefruit and strawberries are much of a muchness for carbs, and at the lower end for fruit, but it can still all easily add up. 100g of any of those might go down the throat so much more easily than the same amount of cabbage, for example.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to eat quite a bit of fruit, I was never told to cut back on anything but grapes and fruit juices by practice nurse.However my meter showed otherwise. I don't eat any fruit but strawberries and the odd grape or cherry from husband's fruit bowl. There's nothing in fruit that you can't get in a wide range of vegetables. Organic fruit is expensive so that helps to think of it as a treat, or as Dr Andreas Eenfeldt puts it, "nature's candy".

I will happily chomp through unshelled pistachios. IIRC the organic ones from Sainsbury's are 7g carbs for 100g.

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told that I could eat any fruit -as long as it fitted in the palm of my hand -so that's a 'no' to Melon, Mango and Pineapple. Looking at fruits that are beneficial for diabetics -according to a book I bought listing 101 foods - are apricots, apples, blueberries, kiwis and raspberries. I've found that any of these in moderation is OK and doesn't affect my blood sugar - but sadly a glass of red wine added 5 points to the meter reading!! An apple a day is meant to be the best!