Type 2 What might I eat gluttonously that won't cause a blood glucose spike?

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Melon's not all that high in carbs per 100g - a smidgeon above grapefruit and half the carbs of grapes. And pineapple's around the same as an apple. I don't eat melon every week, but it's there as one of the few fruits I do sometimes eat. I live with a list on the door of one kitchen cupboard, a list I made from looking everything up online.

Reactions: 2 people

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that info - I'll have to give them a try (in moderation!!) and see what the meter says.... one thing I'm learning on the forum is how the same food can affect different people in different ways. I know that my 'taste' for sweet things is changing and once my husband made coffee for me with the same spoon he'd used to put sugar in his tea - and I could realy taste it -even though it must have been a very small amount. But I do confess that I long for a soft ice cream - we live by the sea and walking along the seafront on Sunday, it was a hot morning and everyone seemed to be eating one...:(

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, one hot afternoon I did have an ice cream (loved it), and the reading a couple of hours later (pre-meal) didn't show any increase, much to my surprise. I think you're right - we differ more than we expect. I'm new enough to all this that I'm going very carefully with all and everything, never expecting it all to turn out to be such a steep learning curve.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that info - I'll have to give them a try (in moderation!!) and see what the meter says.... one thing I'm learning on the forum is how the same food can affect different people in different ways. I know that my 'taste' for sweet things is changing and once my husband made coffee for me with the same spoon he'd used to put sugar in his tea - and I could realy taste it -even though it must have been a very small amount. But I do confess that I long for a soft ice cream - we live by the sea and walking along the seafront on Sunday, it was a hot morning and everyone seemed to be eating one...:(
I bought a cheap ice cream maker at the beginning of the summer and have made my own sugar free ice cream. Has been delicious on the day it is made but rather rock solid after some time in the freezer!!

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought a cheap ice cream maker at the beginning of the summer and have made my own sugar free ice cream. Has been delicious on the day it is made but rather rock solid after some time in the freezer!!
Thanks for that idea -I remember that I've got one in the back of the cupboard, so will have to get it out - can you share your recipe for sugar free ice cream?

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tirianne I have made a few. This one was nice:
http://www.freshbitesdaily.com/greek-yogurt-ice-cream/ For the chocolate sauce I used some raw cacao powder mixed with coconut oil instead of chocolate but could use 85% choc and xylitol instead of syrup. This did go VERY solid in the freezer - in fact I left it out in the sun for over an hour and it was still pretty frozen! Great on the day it is made though :hungry:
Best one was strawberries & clotted cream:
250g strawbs
225g clotted cream
2tsp balsamic vinegar
55g sugar substitute of choice or liquid equivalent
Blend strawberries, sweetener & balsamic. Add cream and blend until smooth. Chill for 30 mins before putting into ice cream maker.
Have fun!