What On Earth Is Going On?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So - confusion reigns!

I'm Type 2 with an under active thyroid (treated with 125mcg Levothyroxine daily)

A few months ago I reported a 3 stone weight loss, achieved with Low Carb lifestyle and daily brisk walks (10,000 steps minimum) as well as 16:8 (ish) IF

All round congrats from DN and GP - Metformin handed back to the chemist! Blood Pressure meds and Statins continued. Low carb woe continued.

Within months, weight creeping back up - fairly puzzled - back on the wagon! I have to say in all honesty that it wasn't a complete fall from grace, more of a slip from the driving seat, dangling from the stirrups ( sorry for mixed metaphors )

I'm digressing.............

I am now SERIOUSLY struggling with losing the weight that has crept on! So much so that I am now attempting a VLCD regime with some (calorie counted and LOW CARB) food daily. Too early to tell if that's going to work - I'm committed to giving it a serious "go"

Still walking, ensuring an average of at least 150 mins over 7 days - which I have read is the "ideal" exercise level. Have also ditched Statin (personal choice)

So, to the point of this meandering post.........

I test BG on waking, usually walk on an empty stomach as I never was one for Breakfast! On return from my walks, I test. The majority of days, BG increases after exercise, usually up into the next whole number. Liver dump? Does this happen long after dawn? Surely must me some sort of biochemistry going on if I haven't eaten anything yet? Most I have is tea with milk ( a little ) and plain water.

Whilst I completely understand that we, on this forum, comment on our own experiences and should/would not offer medical advice, I would love to hear from anybody who is finding similar "stuff" going on and their thoughts.

In the meantime, I'm sticking with my new regime. My GP pointed out that my initial weight loss, although laudable, was probably a little unsustainable for a post-menopausal 60 year old (I wrote it "out loud" again) We have agreed on a new target, on the outside edges of the NHS "healthy" BMI.

So, you lovely lot - what do you think?

Thanks all, this is the best forum - ever

SV x

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I test BG on waking, usually walk on an empty stomach as I never was one for Breakfast! On return from my walks, I test. The majority of days, BG increases after exercise, usually up into the next whole number. Liver dump? Does this happen long after dawn? Surely must me some sort of biochemistry going on if I haven't eaten anything yet? Most I have is tea with milk ( a little ) and plain water.

Yes, it sounds like a liver dump following exercise. Although liver dumps are known as the Dawn Phenomenon, they are not restricted to dawn. They can happen at any time, including during and just after exercise. All it is is your body thinks you need some extra glucose to fuel the cells during your exercise so tells the liver to dump some. Perhaps try a little bit of protein before your walk - cheese, or a boiled egg. See if that helps.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your liver dumps whenever it thinks it's nessesary... So it doesn't just limit itself to dawn phenomenon, it'll "help" by dumping some extra sugar if you're being active and haven't eaten, far as I understood it. (Pushed me up to 6,5 last week... I had 3 grams of carbs, the liver got the message, and my numbers went back down pronto. The little busybody!).

Between Depo Provera injections, a wonky thyroid, PCOS and what have you, I lost a lot of weight on LCHF, and then gained 10 pounds back. And I couldn't get them off again until I started on keto with IF. (Usually 10 to 20 grams of carbs, max). I'm not in menopause yet, but I guess hormonally we're practically similar with my injections and the PCOS, plus I have 137,5 micrograms of levothyroxine to help me along... For me it took a rigorous lowering of carbs... No idea how low you are aiming for, but don't be discouraged when you read about other people shedding a kilo or two per week. I'm happy to lose one a *month*, two if I'm lucky. And then it still bouces back every now and again, kosting me a week to get back to where I started. Hormones working against us are no fun, but it's not entirely hopeless. Just... Slower. ;)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that I needed to eat early rather than fast if my blood glucose is not to go up and up.
I eat twice a day, early and late, - I used to take my tablets with food at mid day so that I could get things done in the mornings, but that was not a good thing for my readings.
I take 175micrograms of Levothyroxine (almost) every day. I suspect that lots of low calorie diets in the past have affected my metabolism so that it panics at the first inkling of a fast.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So - confusion reigns!

I'm Type 2 with an under active thyroid (treated with 125mcg Levothyroxine daily)

A few months ago I reported a 3 stone weight loss, achieved with Low Carb lifestyle and daily brisk walks (10,000 steps minimum) as well as 16:8 (ish) IF

All round congrats from DN and GP - Metformin handed back to the chemist! Blood Pressure meds and Statins continued. Low carb woe continued.

Within months, weight creeping back up - fairly puzzled - back on the wagon! I have to say in all honesty that it wasn't a complete fall from grace, more of a slip from the driving seat, dangling from the stirrups ( sorry for mixed metaphors )

I'm digressing.............

I am now SERIOUSLY struggling with losing the weight that has crept on! So much so that I am now attempting a VLCD regime with some (calorie counted and LOW CARB) food daily. Too early to tell if that's going to work - I'm committed to giving it a serious "go"

Still walking, ensuring an average of at least 150 mins over 7 days - which I have read is the "ideal" exercise level. Have also ditched Statin (personal choice)

So, to the point of this meandering post.........

Whilst I completely understand that we, on this forum, comment on our own experiences and should/would not offer medical advice, I would love to hear from anybody who is finding similar "stuff" going on and their thoughts.

In the meantime, I'm sticking with my new regime. My GP pointed out that my initial weight loss, although laudable, was probably a little unsustainable for a post-menopausal 60 year old (I wrote it "out loud" again) We have agreed on a new target, on the outside edges of the NHS "healthy" BMI.

So, you lovely lot - what do you think?

Thanks all, this is the best forum - ever

SV x
What kind of BS levels are you getting? I did notice that you didn't mention any specifics...

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that any exercise except a very slow walk ( and I mean granny with zimmer frame speed) puts up my BG levels. I don't worry about it because exercise is good for me in other ways.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What kind of BS levels are you getting? I did notice that you didn't mention any specifics...
Sorry - rambling on made me forget to mention specifics.

My wake up numbers can be in the 6's and 7's. Pre - latest regime, sometimes in the low 8's

My last HBA1C was 53 but DN and GP have put their faith in my ability to control with diet and exercise.

Thanks for your interest!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry - rambling on made me forget to mention specifics.

My wake up numbers can be in the 6's and 7's. Pre - latest regime, sometimes in the low 8's

My last HBA1C was 53 but DN and GP have put their faith in my ability to control with diet and exercise.

Thanks for your interest!

Concentrate on your before and after meal readings and get those as level as you can, and the morning levels will follow suit with a bit of exercise and perhaps the intermittent fasting. Hopefully the weight loss will come, too.